Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

AP and Coaches' 2020 Polls

Duke is #1 in both the AP poll and the Coaches' poll this week.

We usually have a thread following the polls throughout the season, so I thought I'd start one up.

I noticed something very unusual, but I have yet to see it anywhere, so I guess I will be the one to point it out: I'd say that this is without a doubt the first time that any team has been ranked #1 nationally, while sitting way down in eighth place in their own conference.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

We usually have a thread following the polls throughout the season, so I thought I'd start one up.

I noticed something very unusual, but I have yet to see it anywhere, so I guess I will be the one to point it out: I'd say that this is without a doubt the first time that any team has been ranked #1 nationally, while sitting way down in eighth place in their own conference.
    I'm skeptical that's true. All it would take is for the team ranked #1 to lose their first conference game, in which case they'd be ranked last.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm skeptical that's true. All it would take is for the team ranked #1 to lose their first conference game, in which case they'd be ranked last.
    Or if a #1 team happened to play their first conference game after a bunch of other teams (perhaps they had a bye in the first set of games) then they would sit in the middle of the conference. Really not all that remarkable in my mind.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Think I'll lean toward siding with Edouble here...

Maybe not in the "without a doubt" category, but rising to #1 while 8th in your conference sounds pretty rare to me. And I don't see our conference record getting any better for at least two weeks. Or more...

Quote Originally Posted by cakerace View Post
    Maybe not in the "without a doubt" category, but rising to #1 while 8th in your conference sounds pretty rare to me. And I don't see our conference record getting any better for at least two weeks. Or more...
    Our ineffective offense makes us vulnerable, even Thursday. We have to show improvement on offense or our #1 rating will not last long.

As my father explained to me when I was six years old and beginning to play with sports stats, a 0-0 record is not 0.500. Or, maybe I misunderstand your comment.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As my father explained to me when I was six years old and beginning to play with sports stats, a 0-0 record is not 0.500. Or, maybe I misunderstand your comment.
    But it is true that 0-0 is a half game ahead of 0-1 and a half game behind 1-0. As I keep telling my significant other during baseball season, only the loss column matters because you can't un-lose a game (and assuming that the total number of games to be played is equal, whether 162 or 18 or 20).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    But it is true that 0-0 is a half game ahead of 0-1 and a half game behind 1-0. As I keep telling my significant other during baseball season, only the loss column matters because you can't un-lose a game (and assuming that the total number of games to be played is equal, whether 162 or 18 or 20).
    the concept of it being impossible to un-lose a game is something i have discussed since I was a teenager... and I have used that exact term. It's really the most important factor when discussing standings in any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    the concept of it being impossible to un-lose a game is something i have discussed since I was a teenager... and I have used that exact term. It's really the most important factor when discussing standings in any sport.
    ...true, and then there's the wrinkle you get in hockey with the point system, and therefore having "games in hand" is a very key metric in assessing standings.

I will give credit to John Sterling, Yankees famed radio broadcaster, for my learning the term many years ago! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I've had this same argument with some of my baseball friends for years. I tell them to look at the loss column when the season gets to August 1st, but they just want to look at the games behind number. Like you said, you can't un-lose a game. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As I keep telling my significant other during baseball season, only the loss column matters because you can't un-lose a game (and assuming that the total number of games to be played is equal, whether 162 or 18 or 20).
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I've had this same argument with some of my baseball friends for years. I tell them to look at the loss column when the season gets to August 1st, but they just want to look at the games behind number. Like you said, you can't un-lose a game. GoDuke!
    Patrick Davidson can un-lose a game (https://forums.dukebasketballreport...trick+davidson)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree. We have no record within the conference yet. We're in the void. We're pinin' for the fjords (not really, but I was yearning to type that).
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

kansas had a more "crappy" game than we did....UK didn't show on it's home floor...I don't think we're the best team in the country...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

MSU was ranked #1 and tied for last place in the country after their first game.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Very true, like when we lost to BC at BC on (if memory serves) 12/12/2017 during a horrendous snowstorm, in our first conference game. I believe we were undefeated (5-0) and ranked #1 in the country.

Cake, you stated it better than I did, but what I meant was that this must be the first time that a team achieved the #1 ranking (rose to the rank, as you put it so well) while already sitting in eighth place in their conference.

The difference to me is that we were first in 8th place and then rose to the #1 ranking, as opposed to being ranked #1, then dropping to a low standing in the conference. I'm sure the latter has happened many times, but in the reverse order, sitting at 8th in the conference, then rising up in the polls to #1 nationally... that can't have ever happened.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Caught part of the ACC network last night - yes I am privileged😀

The talking heads said K at Duke has played more games while ranked #1 than games while unranked. If I heard that correctly, just WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    kansas had a more "crappy" game than we did...UK didn't show on it's home floor...I don't think we're the best team in the country...
    I initially was thinking this too--especially after CTC and our exhibitions--and it could be true. Mostly I think this is confirmation bias, since I've now watched a number of games this year among "top teams" and they all look super vulnerable. With the exception of tOSU trouncing Nova (and my God, Nova looked inept), nobody has looked like a complete team. Either you have teams like UMd or Gonzaga shellacking JV squads or you have really raw, choppy play in bad-but-competitive games.

I'm totally fine with #1. We did beat KU. We are undefeated. There's no other team that has a strong case to be ahead of us.

And I don't worry so much about this team getting complacent or over-confident. If anyone shows signs of that - and it usually shows up on defense - then that player sits and the next highly-talented guy steps in. It's a huge luxury with this team having the option to go 10-11 deep.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I'm totally fine with #1. We did beat KU. We are undefeated. There's no other team that has a strong case to be ahead of us.
    Which will probably end by 12/3, at the latest. Sparty in East Lansing? Based on what we've seen so far, there's no way we beat them. Unless this is just the weakest college basketball season in recent memory. This current Duke team being ranked #1 fails the eye test miserably.

Maybe things completely change in 12 days. It's possible, I suppose.