Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Walton Belt (2019-20 edition)

We have tracked this in the past.

With Virginia's debacle last night, the Walton belt passes to Purdue.

Purdue has a few easy games, and then faces Butler on the 19th, so the belt may go over to the Big East. I don't see any easy way for the belt to return to the ACC before March. If only Duke had its traditional winter game vs. St. Johns...

If there is a silver lining, at least this keeps the belt from going to the heels (if they are "first to 40" on Sunday).

This is such an unbelievably dumb concept. It is my favorite recurring thread on DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    This is such an unbelievably dumb concept. It is my favorite recurring thread on DBR.
    Both of these things are true.

But, Bill Walton.

And dammit, I want the belt!!!!

When Walton was at UCLA I loved the guy. In the back of my mind, I knew there was no way the Cheats were going to win the NCAA Championship as long as Kareem and Walton were at UCLA. But now I put him in there with Dickie V. and use the mute button on him. GoDuke!

The successful way of dealing with commentary from Walton is with a sense of humor. The guy is so annoying that you got to laugh ! Walton's partner usually has a few digs to add in.

Walton's partner definitely eggs him on, and seems to enjoy it. It is entertaining in relatively small doses, but a full game of it is pretty much intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Walton's partner definitely eggs him on, and seems to enjoy it. It is entertaining in relatively small doses, but a full game of it is pretty much intolerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    The successful way of dealing with commentary from Walton is with a sense of humor. The guy is so annoying that you got to laugh ! Walton's partner usually has a few digs to add in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    When Walton was at UCLA I loved the guy. In the back of my mind, I knew there was no way the Cheats were going to win the NCAA Championship as long as Kareem and Walton were at UCLA. But now I put him in there with Dickie V. and use the mute button on him. GoDuke!
    Fun drinking (or, ummm...other refreshments) game: Partake every time Bill peppers his commentary with a Grateful Dead lyric. He'll get less annoying real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Fun drinking (or, ummm...other refreshments) game: Partake every time Bill peppers his commentary with a Grateful Dead lyric. He'll get less annoying real quick.
    I bumped into him at a Dead show in Oakland in the'80's. Dude is tall.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I bumped into him at a Dead show in Oakland in the'80's. Dude is tall.
    Yeah, I shared an elevator at a hotel after a show with him once. Very tall! Didn't say anything to him.

Great Garcia Story: Dead head gets into an elevator and Gracia is the only other passenger. Stunned, the only thing the fan can say is "It's you! It's you". Garcia looks at him and says "No, it's you, it's you".

Smile bill and the dead

I once heard Bill being interviewed by the local NPR station here in Atlanta when in town for a FF a few years ago. I believe he was shilling for Guinness. But anyway the interviewer asked him how many Dead concerts he had attended. I don't remember the exact number but it was over 400. Had he attended Duke (and I think it was on his list) he would have fit right in with my buds in Taylor Hall in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    I once heard Bill being interviewed by the local NPR station here in Atlanta when in town for a FF a few years ago. I believe he was shilling for Guinness. But anyway the interviewer asked him how many Dead concerts he had attended. I don't remember the exact number but it was over 400. Had he attended Duke (and I think it was on his list) he would have fit right in with my buds in Taylor Hall in those days.
    I thought it was well over 400, because the bit of trivia I've heard is that he attended more Dead shows than he played NBA games. Cannot vouch for accuracy.

Maybe I've just spent too much time around hippies, but I find his very heady ramblings hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I thought it was well over 400, because the bit of trivia I've heard is that he attended more Dead shows than he played NBA games. Cannot vouch for accuracy.

Maybe I've just spent too much time around hippies, but I find his very heady ramblings hilarious.
    Pretty sure he went with them to Egypt in '78. Can you picture him on a camel?

Poor camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Over 850 Dead concerts as of June 2015: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

He play 468 regular season NBA games and 49 playoff games, for a total well below the number of Dead shows: https://stats.nba.com/player/78450/career/

nebraska took out purdue yesterday, so looks like the BIG will hold on to it for the duration of the regular season.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    nebraska took out purdue yesterday, so looks like the BIG will hold on to it for the duration of the regular season.
    Nebraska's next two games are North Dakota and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. If it loses one of those, then this gets really fun. Their game after that is Rutgers, so that would also be interesting given their recent misery in revenue sports.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Pretty sure he went with them to Egypt in '78. Can you picture him on a camel?

Poor camel.
    I haven't smoked a joint since 1974 (yeah, I'm old). I'd be tempted to light up with Bill.

Has anyone mentioned that a Walton Belt is an actual thing and the thing that it is is a vibrating weight loss belt? Because if no one has mentioned it, I’d like to.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Nebraska's next two games are North Dakota and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. If it loses one of those, then this gets really fun. Their game after that is Rutgers, so that would also be interesting given their recent misery in revenue sports.
    Nebraska lost to North Dakota on Saturday, so they now hold the belt. North Dakota travels to Oregon State this weekend, so, much to Walton's delight, the belt could be residing in the "Conference of Champions" shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Nebraska lost to North Dakota on Saturday, so they now hold the belt. North Dakota travels to Oregon State this weekend, so, much to Walton's delight, the belt could be residing in the "Conference of Champions" shortly...
    If North Dakota manages to escape against the Beavers, then the Walton Belt will be bouncing around in some really strange hoops country -- Oral Roberts, Purdue Fort Wayne, Western Illinois, etc...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If North Dakota manages to escape against the Beavers, then the Walton Belt will be bouncing around in some really strange hoops country -- Oral Roberts, Purdue Fort Wayne, Western Illinois, etc...
    Something even stranger is possible: the Walton Belt might not get an NCAA Tournament bid. The Summit Conference has 9 teams but only the top 8 get bids for the conference tourney.