Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Which will probably end by 12/3, at the latest. Sparty in East Lansing? Based on what we've seen so far, there's no way we beat them. Unless this is just the weakest college basketball season in recent memory. This current Duke team being ranked #1 fails the eye test miserably.

Maybe things completely change in 12 days. It's possible, I suppose.
    Maybe you’re right or maybe you aren’t giving our defense enough credit. I’m definitely expecting us to drop several games this year. And Mich St should be favored at home - but by 2-3, not 10.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Maybe you’re right or maybe you aren’t giving our defense enough credit. I’m definitely expecting us to drop several games this year. And Mich St should be favored at home - but by 2-3, not 10.
    at this ultra early juncture, Ken The Pomeranian has us losing to MSU by 6...

Which will probably end by 12/3, at the latest. Sparty in East Lansing? Based on what we've seen so far, there's no way we beat them. Unless this is just the weakest college basketball season in recent memory. This current Duke team being ranked #1 fails the eye test miserably.

Maybe things completely change in 12 days. It's possible, I suppose.
    Half the board said the same thing about Kansas.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at this ultra early juncture, Ken The Pomeranian has us losing to MSU by 6...
    I just hope the Michigan State football, I mean basketball team doesn't injury any of our guys. I know the refs will swallow their whistles. GoDuke!

Which will probably end by 12/3, at the latest. Sparty in East Lansing? Based on what we've seen so far, there's no way we beat them. ...
    That is why they play the games …

Until a recent one point game, Coach K had done pretty well against Izzo.

We'll have the most athletic Cassius on the floor ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That is why they play the games …

Until a recent one point game, Coach K had done pretty well against Izzo.

We'll have the most athletic Cassius on the floor ...
    So, you're saying there's a chance?

So, you're saying there's a chance?
    No pie bet, but I wouldn't bet on Izzo to beat K at any time. We know it can happen, but it usually doesn't.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    No pie bet, but I wouldn't bet on Izzo to beat K at any time. We know it can happen, but it usually doesn't.
    ouch. the hurt runs deep.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke to 10th in latest AP. Knew we'd drop, but that seems silly.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Looks like those ESPN promos for Duke v. Michigan State are gonna take a beating! From 1v3 to 10v11.

Michigan up 22 spots? Wow!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Even coach K says a lot of teams could beat us.

Meh, they are still sorting things out. Michigan's rise shows us that. Early polls are pretty meaningless.

Doesn't seem silly at all. We lost to a bad team. At home. When we were the #1 team in the country.

I thought we'd hit the teens. I'll take 10.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Meh, they are still sorting things out. Michigan's rise shows us that. Early polls are pretty meaningless.
    Agree vs early polls. Think rated #10 may be generous.

not really, given our relatively poor showings against ga st and winthrop, and given the injury to stanley. Georgetown is looking less good after up and getting beat by UNCG, and cal struggled against a bad UC davis team. On top of that, we have the worst loss among the top 10.

Borderline top 10 sounds about right if you look at our recent play.
    1200. DDMF.

Meh. It's a young team without a horde of OAD players. For those (like me) who have yearned for a larger share of multi-year players, well -- this is the growing pains we should expect.

Ten sounds about right, but you could bump us a few either way and it would still be ballpark.

By comparison, when Kentucky lost to Evansville they dropped from #1 to #9. But of course it’s not an equal scenario, because we have a little more data to go on now plus there were teams like Michigan that shot up and jumped everybody.

Ten feels about right given the way the polls work. If you watched us against SFA and Winthrop, you wouldn’t have us ranked. But we do still have that win over Kansas.

Every 2-3 years the basketball pundits seem to declare that it's a "down year" for college basketball.

In-general I've always found that useless as it has no real predictive value, nor, relatedly, can it be verified. But this is the first year it has felt accurate to me. None of the "top teams" seem to be that strong given the eye test. Moreover, bunches of teams are losing games they ought not lose.

I can tell you that the general consensus among Wahoos is that it's absurd that we're ranked where we are; I'm . . . reasonably confident we're the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC, but 5th in the nation in the AP and 2nd (!?!) in the coaches poll seems absurd. This VA squad is good, sure. But this is a rebuilding year, and we don't rebuild as speedily as do our southern cousins.

Where do you guys think this Duke team really shakes out currently, and where would you guess by year's end?

#10 feels right. I think the consensus on this team was that it would improve a lot this season as its offense developed to catch up with its stellar defense.

Unfortunately, this team seems to have regressed against SFA and Winthrop. Our dominant defense has gone dormant. Now with Cassius Stanley out, we are missing a key weapon on both ends.

But it's the drama and the promise of improvement - possibly even a breakthrough performance against Michigan State - that keeps us all tuning in.

Devils by 8 tomorrow night...

I will take ten. And would not be one bit surprised if we win tomorrow. Right now to me, this team is anywhere from 13 to 17. By year's end they could be a top five team. Lots of basketball to be played..