Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1

    Sweet Potato Pie or Pumpkin Pie

    While other less important matters are endlessly debated in Congress and Corp board rooms around the country, the most important debate of all time is upon us again as we hit Thanksgiving:

    Sweet Potato pie or Pumpkin pie?

    Gotta go with Sweet Potato myself.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Pumpkin pie. Sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar/pecan crust on top, none of that disgusting marshmallow nonsense).

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pumpkin pie. Sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar/pecan crust on top, none of that disgusting marshmallow nonsense).
    I love me some sweet potato casserole as well, just the way you describe it. Yummy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever had sweet potato pie. I suspect it would be pretty tasty. But if I'm going to have some of both (and I hope I am) I think I would rather the pie be pumpkin and the casserole be sweet potato than the other way around. I'm sure someone somewhere has made a mean pumpkin casserole but it doesn't sound right to me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    The correct answer is “Apple.”

  6. #6
    What happened to pecan?

  7. #7
    Both. Plus a chocolate pecan pie.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Sweet potato..Not even close.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Chocolate-bourbon pecan pie.
    Linky

    If limited to either sweet potato or pumpkin I'll go with sweet potato.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Both. They are great. Sweet Potato casserole is great too (with or without the delicious marshmallows).

    Apple, no thanks.
    Pecan, no thanks.

    I don't really like Apple or Pecan personally but 100% understand those who love it.
    I'm all about some chocolate pie too.

    I haven't eaten desert in 6+ weeks, I intend for Pumpkin Pie on Thanksgiving to be the thing that breaks that streak.

  11. #11
    I love a lot of different pies, but for this time of year it's Sweet Potato (over Pumpkin by a large margin) and Chocolate Pecan pie. BTW, Cracker Barrel has an incredible Chocolate Pecan pie. And if you can't make your own, I recommend Patty LaBelle's Sweet Potato pie. Hard to beat either of those if we are talking store bought.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I love a lot of different pies, but for this time of year it's Sweet Potato (over Pumpkin by a large margin) and Chocolate Pecan pie. BTW, Cracker Barrel has an incredible Chocolate Pecan pie. And if you can't make your own, I recommend Patty LaBelle's Sweet Potato pie. Hard to beat either of those if we are talking store bought.
    In the South, pumpkins are for Jack'O Lanterns..Oh, and hog fare..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    In the South, pumpkins are for Jack'O Lanterns..Oh, and hog fare..
    Absolutely correct.pumpkins shall not be cooked in this household.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    How about this with a slice of pumpkin pie?

    https://untappd.com/b/ardent-craft-a...-saison/830383

    Or, we could have a pint of this with some sweet potato pie:

    https://hardywood.com/beer/farmhouse-pumpkin/

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Will anyone under the age of 70 serve Green Bean Casserole with the Durkee onion rings sitting on top?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    BTW - How do you pronounce pecan?

    I say PEE-cahn, but I do like the pah-CAHN pronunciation as well.

    pee-can is cute, but seems yankee-ish and I am not sure which syllable is stressed.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Will anyone under the age of 70 serve Green Bean Casserole with the Durkee onion rings sitting on top?
    55 and yes, of course. What kind of heathens don't serve this?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Will anyone under the age of 70 serve Green Bean Casserole with the Durkee onion rings sitting on top?
    I don't think there's been anyone over 70 at my Thanksgiving get togethers in something like 6-7 years and we still have it.

    Although, the proper Thanksgiving green vegetable is actual greens. Green bean casserole is just a supplement, or at best a poor replacement.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think there's been anyone over 70 at my Thanksgiving get togethers in something like 6-7 years and we still have it.

    Although, the proper Thanksgiving green vegetable is actual greens. Green bean casserole is just a supplement, or at best a poor replacement.
    the key to the question, of course, is the can of onion rings...green bean casserole sans the Durkees rings doesn't count...

Similar Threads

  1. Blue Devil Pumpkin
    By DukeKS in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM
  2. How many Sweet 16's in a row?
    By millerecu in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •