Metastatic breast cancer

Today we learned that my wife, who survived breast cancer in 2004 has multiple metastatic breast cancer bone lesions. It doesn't look good.
    If anyone has gone through this, could we talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian913 View Post
    Today we learned that my wife, who survived breast cancer in 2004 has multiple metastatic breast cancer bone lesions. It doesn't look good.
    Sincere prayers for you, her, and your families. I wish I had some words of wisdom on the subject.

Check your PM a bit later this evening. Trying to compose some thoughts now.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My sincere sympathies to you and your family. It is the most insidious of all diseases. My prayers are with you.

Catching up here after a few days off and gosh I am so sorry to read this. I hope you know you aren't alone and that there are many who are sending you and your wife their best thoughts for courage and strength.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I am so sorry to hear about your news. I do not have anything better than my prayers to add, but your wife, you and your family are in mine.

Thanks everyone. It's a real trying time, but we expect to have a consult at Sloan Kettering right after Thanksgiving. We know it's going to be a long haul dealing with this, but we'll remain optimistic.
    This was just completely unexpected. Ellen had breast cancer surgery in 2004, followed by chemo and radiation. Regular check ups and mammograms since then.
    What really hurts is the nobody ever told us that at least a third (probably more) of women treated for breast cancer will wind up with metastatic breast cancer in other parts of the body years or decades later. That's one reason why the 5 year survival rate stats are a joke.
    Our main concern is for our daughter, who some of you may remember was severely injured in an accident while attending Homecoming in 2006. She's finally been able to truly move on independently from us and she gets hit with this. She's living in Durham and looking for a job if anyone is hiring .
    It's going to be real tough on her being an only child. I remember myself in my 20s when my mom was diagnosed with multiple myeloma just after my father died.

Thanks everyone. It's a real trying time, but we expect to have a consult at Sloan Kettering right after Thanksgiving. We know it's going to be a long haul dealing with this, but we'll remain optimistic.
    This was just completely unexpected. Ellen had breast cancer surgery in 2004, followed by chemo and radiation. Regular check ups and mammograms since then.
    What really hurts is the nobody ever told us that at least a third (probably more) of women treated for breast cancer will wind up with metastatic breast cancer in other parts of the body years or decades later. That's one reason why the 5 year survival rate stats are a joke.
    Our main concern is for our daughter, who some of you may remember was severely injured in an accident while attending Homecoming in 2006. She's finally been able to truly move on independently from us and she gets hit with this. She's living in Durham and looking for a job if anyone is hiring .
    It's going to be real tough on her being an only child. I remember myself in my 20s when my mom was diagnosed with multiple myeloma just after my father died.
    What is your daughter looking to do?

My grandma finaly got gotten.keep her head and yours in the fight.remember medicine is a science and is not always right.they gave my grandma two months max.well 7 years later they gave her 6 months or so .5 years after that the passed.you have to not give up

Nobody should have to experience half of what you and your family have experienced. I'm extremely sorry to hear you and your family are dealing with another major battle. My best thoughts and strongest prayers are with you and your family!

Hopefully, one of our Durham members will help your daughter find a solid opportunity. I'm not in that part of the U.S. Hiring someone with her determination and willpower is almost always a prudent choice!

am so glad you are reaching out

My goodness, this is so much to handle. I can vouch via friends who have been in this position re: the world class care at MSK. It's not only first rate in terms of the science, but also in regards to the competence and concern of the staff. Your wife could not be cared for by a better team.

If you are comfortable with sharing more specifics, please expound on your daughter's professional hopes/dreams. There are lots of us here with NC/Duke connections who would love to help.

I wish I had words of wisdom to offer you and your wife. I can only add my prayers for all of you - prayers for healing, comfort, strength, and a great medical team.

God bless her and your family. Hopefully the tests were wrong. Prayers sent.

Praying for your wife, you, and your family.

sending good thoughts

Second what others have said about MSK. Fantastic place with cutting edge care.

You may want to ask about them about immunotherapy for recurrent metastatic breast cancer.

They may discuss participating in clinical trials with her. Something to be thinking about.