Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    The Mandalorian discussion thread **SPOILERS!**

    I suppose it is time for a discussion thread about the Mandalorian. THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS! If you don't want spoilers, do not scroll down past this image to the next post!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    So, my initial thoughts. I don't love some of the production choices (I'm a little tired of hearing our Mandalorian talking through his mask with the walkie-talkie effect), and I thought the "Native American, but in space" guy in the second episode was a little too on the nose, but other than that I've found it pretty enjoyable. I am obviously extremely interested in our "young" green friend...I have a suspicion that eventually that will spin off into something separate from The Mandalorian entirely. I am significantly more interested in learning about Yoda's species than I am in the Mandalorian at this point, though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    I had high hopes for it but so far I think it’s been garbage. Seems to me like they are relying way too much on nostalgia right now with all the call backs. It does LOOK like star wars though which is still promising to me. I’ll probably ride out the entire season to see how it goes.

    One huge negative for Disney+ are the weekly new episodes. Netflix is the only service that’s gets it right by releasing all the episodes at once.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    One huge negative for Disney+ are the weekly new episodes. Netflix is the only service that’s gets it right by releasing all the episodes at once.
    Seconded, but they people could abuse the free trial just to binge The Mandalorian.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    I have enjoyed the first two episodes. Things I've liked so far:

    It looks like Star Wars and makes me think of the original trilogy which is a good thing.

    The episodes have been concise enough to not feel bloated and too long.

    The reveal at the end of episode 1 was great as was the climactic fight scene with the droid.

    I loved baby Yoda using the force for the first time. Really cool.

    There has been a good amount of action.

    Two thumbs up for me. I have spoken.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I had high hopes for it but so far I think it’s been garbage. Seems to me like they are relying way too much on nostalgia right now with all the call backs. It does LOOK like star wars though which is still promising to me. I’ll probably ride out the entire season to see how it goes.

    One huge negative for Disney+ are the weekly new episodes. Netflix is the only service that’s gets it right by releasing all the episodes at once.
    I'm probably in the minority in this regard, but I'm happy it is NOT following the Netflix model. It was hard enough for me to find time to watch the first two episodes this past weekend. Worrying about Star Wars spoilers for the better part of a week was tough. I wouldn't want to have to avoid a whole season's worth of spoilers, if the whole season dropped at once.
    Plus we get to have a week's worth of discussions between episodes. If the episode drops on Friday, I can probably watch it sometime Friday through Sunday and talk about it during the week.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    I'm probably in the minority in this regard, but I'm happy it is NOT following the Netflix model. It was hard enough for me to find time to watch the first two episodes this past weekend. Worrying about Star Wars spoilers for the better part of a week was tough. I wouldn't want to have to avoid a whole season's worth of spoilers, if the whole season dropped at once.
    Plus we get to have a week's worth of discussions between episodes. If the episode drops on Friday, I can probably watch it sometime Friday through Sunday and talk about it during the week.
    I think if you're doing a weekly release the episodes should be a little bit longer. Not enough happens to really have any significant discussion!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think if you're doing a weekly release the episodes should be a little bit longer. Not enough happens to really have any significant discussion!
    Yeah I mean, first two episodes can really be summed up in one sentence.

    Mandalorian takes bounty and fights off many people to secure a baby “Yoda” who is force sensitive.

    I am still optimistic about the series as a whole but just kind of bored with it so far.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yeah I mean, first two episodes can really be summed up in one sentence.

    Mandalorian takes bounty and fights off many people to secure a baby “Yoda” who is force sensitive.

    I am still optimistic about the series as a whole but just kind of bored with it so far.
    I wonder if part of your boredom is borne of, say, the minimal dialogue, especially in the second episode?

    I think that lack of dialogue allows for a great "show, don't tell" strategy, avoiding terrible, superfluous expository exchanges and instead building characters and story using physical motion of the characters, backdrop, etc.

    Example: After the Mandalorian retrieves "The Egg" and the Jawas go nuts, the Mandalorian just shakes his head. Far more effective than any dialogue would have been.

  10. #10
    For reasons unknown to me, it occurred to me while in the shower today that if I were to design a bounty-hunter droid and equip it with a self-destruct feature, I would have it self-destruct instantly and without warning anyone else what it was doing.

    At any rate, I am officially hooked after episode two. But I like shows that time their releases and looking forward to the next installment, so take it for what it is worth. (Because Disney is going to, one way or another.)
    Carolina delenda est

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yeah I mean, first two episodes can really be summed up in one sentence.

    Mandalorian takes bounty and fights off many people to secure a baby “Yoda” who is force sensitive.

    I am still optimistic about the series as a whole but just kind of bored with it so far.
    More than just force sensitive, but trained well enough to stop and lift a space rhino.
    The baby is 50 years old, looking forward to learning the back story. (He/she obviously has enough of one that a bunch of bounty hunters were sent after it.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    More than just force sensitive, but trained well enough to stop and lift a space rhino.
    The baby is 50 years old, looking forward to learning the back story. (He/she obviously has enough of one that a bunch of bounty hunters were sent after it.)
    There is already a hint of it in the first episode, if you *very* closely examine the clients.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    There is already a hint of it in the first episode, if you *very* closely examine the clients.
    Maybe I'll go rewatch tonight...any hint on exactly what I'm supposed to look for?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Maybe I'll go rewatch tonight...any hint on exactly what I'm supposed to look for?
    Not that I'm really giving anything away here, but just for safety, wrapped in a spoiler tag:

    Spoiler!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Not that I'm really giving anything away here, but just for safety, wrapped in a spoiler tag:

    Spoiler!
    Here is an interesting take on it if you want to read more (note: the link has the spoiler theory in the web address so don't hover if you don't want to see it - as long as we are being double secret on the spoilers thread)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Here is an interesting take on it if you want to read more (note: the link has the spoiler theory in the web address so don't hover if you don't want to see it - as long as we are being double secret on the spoilers thread)
    I think we can reasonably safely discuss spoilers in the spoiler thread without spoiler tags, especially if it is really just speculation rather than actual spoilers. It turning out to be an actual Yoda clone rather than a "child" of the same species would be just awful, IMO. Hoping that is not the case. There was a female of Yoda's species (Yaddle) on the Jedi Council in Phantom Menace...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think we can reasonably safely discuss spoilers in the spoiler thread without spoiler tags, especially if it is really just speculation rather than actual spoilers. It turning out to be an actual Yoda clone rather than a "child" of the same species would be just awful, IMO. Hoping that is not the case. There was a female of Yoda's species (Yaddle) on the Jedi Council in Phantom Menace...
    Agreed. Someone wanting to clone one of Yoda's species is fine, actually having cloned Yoda is awful.
    Plus, it would raise the question of when the cloning took place. We know that Boba Fett was a special gift to Jango, in that he was aging normally. So IF it turns out that this bad idea comes to fruition, is Baby Yoda actually 50 years old, or is he aging at a faster rate like the Clone Troopers? Given that it seems that to be cloned you have to be a willing participant, this also would mean that Yoda would be well aware of Yoda 2.0 out there, at least before he kicked the bucket. And Force Ghost Yoda would also know, and since that little dead dude can set trees on fire, he likely wouldn't have taken too kindly to someone kidnapping/setting bounty hunters on his green baby copy and taken some kind of action.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Agreed. Someone wanting to clone one of Yoda's species is fine, actually having cloned Yoda is awful.
    Plus, it would raise the question of when the cloning took place. We know that Boba Fett was a special gift to Jango, in that he was aging normally. So IF it turns out that this bad idea comes to fruition, is Baby Yoda actually 50 years old, or is he aging at a faster rate like the Clone Troopers? Given that it seems that to be cloned you have to be a willing participant, this also would mean that Yoda would be well aware of Yoda 2.0 out there, at least before he kicked the bucket. And Force Ghost Yoda would also know, and since that little dead dude can set trees on fire, he likely wouldn't have taken too kindly to someone kidnapping/setting bounty hunters on his green baby copy and taken some kind of action.
    I'm also a little concerned with the constant clone theories surrounding Star Wars. There are tons of clone theories regarding Rey, Palpatine, and even various other characters for Rise of Skywalker. I can only bear so much clone-based storytelling. I would prefer none of them to be clones, or if they must be then no more than one of the characters can be a clone (and I would still rather it not be Yoda).

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think we can reasonably safely discuss spoilers in the spoiler thread without spoiler tags, especially if it is really just speculation rather than actual spoilers. It turning out to be an actual Yoda clone rather than a "child" of the same species would be just awful, IMO. Hoping that is not the case. There was a female of Yoda's species (Yaddle) on the Jedi Council in Phantom Menace...
    Wouldn't an equally plausible interpretation of Pershing being connected to cloning be that he wants the baby Yoda returned to him so that he could then be cloned? In other words, the one in the floating bassinet is the genuine article (of as yet unknown provenance) and the client has sought out this one's capture so that the manufacturing line of many Yodas can get underway.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Wouldn't an equally plausible interpretation of Pershing being connected to cloning be that he wants the baby Yoda returned to him so that he could then be cloned? In other words, the one in the floating bassinet is the genuine article (of as yet unknown provenance) and the client has sought out this one's capture so that the manufacturing line of many Yodas can get underway.
    I would be fine with that. I just have a little clone theory fatigue when it comes to Star Wars right now. I think cloning as a plot device was more or less used up already for the franchise.

Similar Threads

  1. The Mandalorian (and a discussion of Disney+)
    By BLPOG in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-30-2019, 12:53 PM
  2. Tomorrowland (spoilers!) discussion
    By Duvall in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 07:54 AM
  3. Bridesmaids - The Movie, Discussion with Spoilers
    By Bostondevil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM
  4. Inception discussion thread (with spoilers)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •