Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 11/18-11/24

Preseason tournaments get underway this week - opportunities for titles for Duke, Virginia, and Miami (although not a ton of what you would describe as real marquee matchups in those games).

Monday
    [46]Notre Dame (-23) hosts [312]Presbyterian (7:00, ACCNX)
    [83]Pittsburgh (-15) hosts [252]Monmouth (7:00, ACCN)

Tuesday
    [3]Virginia (-15) hosts [76]Vermont (7:00, ACCNX)
    [43]NC State (-27) hosts [336]Alcorn State (7:00, ACCNX)

Wednesday
    [15]Florida State (-23) hosts [261]Chattanooga (6:30, ACCNX)
    [2]Louisville (-37) hosts [344]USC Upstate (7:00, ACCN)
    [107]Boston College (-9) hosts [196]Eastern Washington (7:00, ACCNX)
    [63]Georgia Tech (+4) at [61]Georgia (7:00, SECN+)
    [44]Virginia Tech (-33) hosts [351]Delaware State (7:00, ACCNX)
    [51]Syracuse (-19) hosts [284]Cornell (7:30, ACCNX)
    [7]North Carolina (-32) hosts [327]Elon (8:30, ACCNX)

Thursday
    [59]Miami (-8) vs. [151]Missouri State in Charleston (11:30, ESPNU)
    [83]Pittsburgh (-21) hosts [341]Arkansas-Pine Bluff (7:00, ACCNX)
    [72]Clemson (-29) hosts [350]Alabama A&M (7:00, ACCNX)
    [46]Notre Dame (-7) hosts [75]Toledo (8:30, ACCN)
    [4]Duke (-18) vs. [133]California in Madison Square Garden (9:00, ESPN3)

Friday
    [59]Miami vs. [29]Florida/[199]St. Joseph's (12:00/2:00)
    [4]Duke vs. [26]Texas/[69]Georgetown (5:00/7:00)
    [94]Wake Forest (+6) at [66]Davidson (7:30, ESPN+)

Saturday
    [3]Virginia (-19) vs. [192]Massachusetts in Mohegan Sun (12:00, ESPNN)
    [107]Boston College (+2) hosts [65]Depaul (12:00, ACCNX)
    [51]Syracuse (-13) hosts [138]Bucknell (12:00, ACCN)
    [43]NC State (-15) hosts [157]Little Rock (1:00, ACCNX)
    [15]Florida State (-20) hosts [210]St. Francis (PA) (2:00, ACCN)

Sunday
    [3]Virginia vs. [78]Arizona State/[93]St. John's in Mohegan Sun (1:00/3:30)
    [59]Miami vs. [27]Xavier/[77]Connecticut/[99]Buffalo/[144]Towson (TBD)
    [2]Louisville (-21) hosts [127]Akron (6:00, ACCN)
    [72]Clemson (+4) vs. [41]TCU in Las Vegas (10:30, ESPN2)

ACC Non-Conference: 36-4
    ACC vs. Power 5: 2-1

America East:
    American: 2-0
    Atlantic-10:
    Atlantic Sun:
    Big XII: 1-1
    Big East:
    Big Sky:
    Big South: 5-0
    Big Ten:
    Big West:
    Colonial: 3-0
    CUSA: 3-1
    Horizon: 3-0
    Ivy: 2-0
    MAAC:
    MAC:
    MEAC: 3-0
    MVC: 1-0
    MWC: 1-0
    Northeast: 4-0
    Ohio Valley: 0-1
    Pac-12:
    Patriot: 3-0
    SEC: 1-0
    Southern: 1-0
    Southland: 1-1
    Sun Belt: 1-0
    SWAC:
    WAC: 1-0
    WCC:
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Wednesday
    [7]North Carolina (-32) hosts [327]Elon (8:30, ACCNX)
    Upset city!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Upset city!!!
    As always, 9F.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

pfr- First ], thanks for doing this. It's great. Two things in addition.

Why not make the ACC's record against the P6 in basketball and include the Big East - which is as at least as good as, if not better than the Pac12?

Second, and this is broader question, I thought the Duke-Cal game was to be on ESPN 2- and when I just checked ESPN does indeed list it on ESPN3 - though the Georgetown vs. Texas game is on the deuce at 7:00. They are really going to put the #1 team on ESPN3?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    pfr- First ], thanks for doing this. It's great. Two things in addition.

Why not make the ACC's record against the P6 in basketball and include the Big East - which is as at least as good as, if not better than the Pac12?

Second, and this is broader question, I thought the Duke-Cal game was to be on ESPN 2- and when I just checked ESPN does indeed list it on ESPN3 - though the Georgetown vs. Texas game is on the deuce at 7:00. They are really going to put the #1 team on ESPN3?
    It does include the Big East. I guess it would be more accurate to describe it as P6, but it's meant to capture record against the Big XII, Big Ten, Big East, SEC, and Pac-12, which is why I used 5.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Upset city!!!
    Yup, hope Elon goes all Goodfellas on them, smashes them in the head with a shovel and buries them in a shallow grave. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    It does include the Big East. I guess it would be more accurate to describe it as P6, but it's meant to capture record against the Big XII, Big Ten, Big East, SEC, and Pac-12, which is why I used 5.
    Got it! Thanks.

. . . Second, and this is broader question, I thought the Duke-Cal game was to be on ESPN 2- and when I just checked ESPN does indeed list it on ESPN3 - though the Georgetown vs. Texas game is on the deuce at 7:00. They are really going to put the #1 team on ESPN3?
    According to the schedule on Spectrum cable here in Orlando, the Duke vs. Cal game will be televised on ESPN2 at 9:00 p.m. (though I think we can assume that tip-off will not occur until around 9:30, allowing the normal time for warm-ups following the Texas vs. Georgetown game).

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    According to the schedule on Spectrum cable here in Orlando, the Duke vs. Cal game will be televised on ESPN2 at 9:00 p.m. (though I think we can assume that tip-off will not occur until around 9:30, allowing the normal time for warm-ups following the Texas vs. Georgetown game).
    Thanks. That's what I always thought, but scroll down the ESPN NCAAM schedule for Thursday and you'll see its listed as ESPN3.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...91121/group/50

Monday — cannot see either game in my market.

Tuesday — cannot see either game here.

Wednesday — seven games, none on television where I live.

Thursday — can watch two of five.

Friday — yay, two of three! Too bad it’s Friday night and viewership is low.

Saturday - one of five.

Sunday — yay, a game or two against NFL programming and then a game that won’t end before midnight.

THUMBS UP, ACCN!

Thanks. That's what I always thought, but scroll down the ESPN NCAAM schedule for Thursday and you'll see its listed as ESPN3.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...91121/group/50
    Interesting. On ESPN.com, under "Watch", the Duke/Cal game is on ESPN-U. Spectrum has it on ESPN2. I don't see it on ESPN3... but go figure GoDuke.com also says ESPN2. They are making this rocket science...

Vicious Catamount of Vermont visit Virginia tonight, Cats coming off a nice road victory at St Johns Saturday...has the makings of a halftime score of 25-20...UVA will win, but the Cats have one of the best players you probably haven't heard of, Anthony Lamb...he could play for Duke, would be a potential starter...probably insufficiently athletic for the NBA, but a terrific, savvy college player.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Vicious Catamount of Vermont visit Virginia tonight, Cats coming off a nice road victory at St Johns Saturday...has the makings of a halftime score of 25-20...UVA will win, but the Cats have one of the best players you probably haven't heard of, Anthony Lamb...he could play for Duke, would be a potential starter...probably insufficiently athletic for the NBA, but a terrific, savvy college player.
    Will UVA silence the Lamb?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    This one was your typical UVA (insanely low pace, great D, meh offense) game in the first half. Only 27 possessions, UVA was up 24-18 at half. Vermont came out in the second half and it was like they decided, "we're not getting anywhere running offense, we're going to start pulling from 3, and if they go in, we're in good shape". And that's exactly what happened, Vermont hit something like 7 of their first 10 attempts from 3 in the second half, with Lamb going on a absolute tear at one point, hitting 6 straight (and in just like 8 possessions). He was pulling from anywhere and everywhere. Crazy deep, contested, off balance, it was a little of everything. VERY reminiscent of the game Carson Edwards had against the Hoos in the E8 last year. Diakite, Clark, and Key really stepped up though and carried UVA offensively during that stretch to keep Vermont from ever getting more than one possession ahead. Eventually, Vermont's shooting cooled and the Hoos prevailed.

This defense is REALLY good. I mean REALLY good - even compared to some of the past teams with guys like Anderson/Brogdon/Harris on the perimeter and Mitchell/Atkins/Gill inside. The offense does still need a little work, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as those who simply check the box scores/stats do. UVA is getting quality looks and just (right now) getting *HORRIFIC* jumpshooting from guys like Morsell/Stattmann/Woldetensae. All of those guys are capable shooters (based on rep and stats entering the program). If they're even able to be 30-33%ish from 3, and in the mid 40s from midrange, the UVA offense will take a LARGE leap in efficiency. Until that happens, the UVA offense is a legitimate question mark - probably only a top 40-50ish kenpom off eff rank. If that shooting from those role players jumps though, Virginia will end up as a team with more of a top 15-20ish offense. And *maybe* the best defense of the Bennett era.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    This one was your typical UVA (insanely low pace, great D, meh offense) game in the first half. Only 27 possessions, UVA was up 24-18 at half. Vermont came out in the second half and it was like they decided, "we're not getting anywhere running offense, we're going to start pulling from 3, and if they go in, we're in good shape". And that's exactly what happened, Vermont hit something like 7 of their first 10 attempts from 3 in the second half, with Lamb going on a absolute tear at one point, hitting 6 straight (and in just like 8 possessions). He was pulling from anywhere and everywhere. Crazy deep, contested, off balance, it was a little of everything. VERY reminiscent of the game Carson Edwards had against the Hoos in the E8 last year. Diakite, Clark, and Key really stepped up though and carried UVA offensively during that stretch to keep Vermont from ever getting more than one possession ahead. Eventually, Vermont's shooting cooled and the Hoos prevailed.

This defense is REALLY good. I mean REALLY good - even compared to some of the past teams with guys like Anderson/Brogdon/Harris on the perimeter and Mitchell/Atkins/Gill inside. The offense does still need a little work, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as those who simply check the box scores/stats do. UVA is getting quality looks and just (right now) getting *HORRIFIC* jumpshooting from guys like Morsell/Stattmann/Woldetensae. All of those guys are capable shooters (based on rep and stats entering the program). If they're even able to be 30-33%ish from 3, and in the mid 40s from midrange, the UVA offense will take a LARGE leap in efficiency. Until that happens, the UVA offense is a legitimate question mark - probably only a top 40-50ish kenpom off eff rank. If that shooting from those role players jumps though, Virginia will end up as a team with more of a top 15-20ish offense. And *maybe* the best defense of the Bennett era.
    If only it was on a network that people could all watch.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If only it was on a network that people could all watch.
    Hmm. I figured most non-UVa fans would be pleased at the idea of *NOT* watching a UVA game/atrocity. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Will UVA silence the Lamb?
    He scored 30, and UVA didn't get the lead for good until about five minutes left, so the answer would be "no." Entertaining game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post

If Bennett can have a really nice season this year, it will be a great statement on the program being really solid, after the big year last year and losing a lot of talent. Not a bad analogy would be Duke 87, which was a pleasant surprise given all the talent leaving after 86, when they were clearly the best team in the nation.

I will be attempting to watch UNC tonight on the ACCN, which means I look forward to Clemson vs. Boston College in club candlepin bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If Bennett can have a really nice season this year, it will be a great statement on the program being really solid, after the big year last year and losing a lot of talent. Not a bad analogy would be Duke 87, which was a pleasant surprise given all the talent leaving after 86, when they were clearly the best team in the nation.
    Is this an open question for anyone anymore? Of course UVa under Bennett is a really solid program. How many consecutive years do we need to see them excel in this style?

The biggest upset last night had to be the UVa-Vermont game hitting the over, which was a laughable 110 at tip. Really, really hard to watch them play unless you're a Cavalier or a masochist.