Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Well I was going to watch the game, but thanks to this thread I don't have to waste my time. It's obvious from reading that Duke has absolutely positively no chance of winning. Not 30% per ESPN, not if Duke had won their two 3 point games and came in 6-4, not based on previous situations in the past. Nope, no way they can win and therefore why bother watching it. So glad I checked here first. Smh.
    If I didn't know better, I'd almost think there was a smidgeon of virtue signaling here....

Bob Green

Nice read, but a bit too optimistic. I want to see them win like everybody else. Just don't see it happening this go round..Unless they can figure out a way to open the dam on this stagnant offense, and teach blocking techniques. Blocking has beeen a big issue. We have some nice, speedy backs, but they cannot run through walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Nice read, but a bit too optimistic. I want to see them win like everybody else. Just don't see it happening this go round..Unless they can figure out a way to open the dam on this stagnant offense, and teach blocking techniques. Blocking has beeen a big issue. We have some nice, speedy backs, but they cannot run through walls.
    This is true. Especially when the offensive coordinator is unwilling to dial up anything more unusual than a throw ten yards downfield (which is pretty darned unusual at Duke, I guess). We're tricksy, we are.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

You've got to be able to block the pass rushers long enough to give the quarterback enough time to comfortably wait on his downfield receivers to get open and allow him to deliver an accurate throw in order to be successful on a downfield pass. Duke has not come close to satisfying at least two of these prerequisites in these last six games.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    You've got to be able to block the pass rushers long enough to give the quarterback enough time to comfortably wait on his downfield receivers to get open and allow him to deliver an accurate throw in order to be successful on a downfield pass. Duke has not come close to satisfying at least two of these prerequisites in these last six games.
    There are longish passes that can be done with less than 2 seconds....straight go patterns, ball can be lofted on 3 step drop...ends up being 35-40 yards downfield where the ball lands. Do some of those early, loosen up the defense, and everything gets easier...even if you can't complete one. Something to think about.

Duke had success with that a few times...but they don't use it often and NEVER early. It's a play you need to show early on. Scored at TD versus UVa on it, but it was not enough obviously.

I understand the pass blocking issues, but I'm still amazed how often we throw four yard passes on downs like third and eight...about a .0000001% chance of success there, if perhaps the cornerback falls down or is stung by a bee.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I understand the pass blocking issues, but I'm still amazed how often we throw four yard passes on downs like third and eight...about a .0000001% chance of success there, if perhaps the cornerback falls down or is stung by a bee.
    Surely someone poetic among us can write an "Ode to the Bubble Screen."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

That is the biggest heartburn thing...absolutely no reason to throw behind the chains on third down....not to a tight end who is NOT going to break a tackle and gain extra yards. Done it for many years...Scottie M's offense was TERRIBLE about that.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    And the wisdom of turning 4th and short into 4th and long by executing the play out of the shotgun.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    There are longish passes that can be done with less than 2 seconds...straight go patterns, ball can be lofted on 3 step drop...ends up being 35-40 yards downfield where the ball lands. Do some of those early, loosen up the defense, and everything gets easier...even if you can't complete one. Something to think about.

Duke had success with that a few times...but they don't use it often and NEVER early. It's a play you need to show early on. Scored at TD versus UVa on it, but it was not enough obviously.
    A big complaint of mine, also. The defensive coordinators look at our play calling and probably laugh. If I know what's coming, the defensive coordinator does, too. Heck, I called the fake punt before it happened Saturday. Even the trick plays are predictable, like the jump pass (usually done by a QB, but still).

Sometimes you have to get out of character. Mix things up. If the offensive coordinator has no imagination, get rid of his sorry butt. There's more to coaching than looking at a spread sheet. The best coordinators seem to know what the defense is thinking. Ours seldom seems to get to that point.

Inspired coaching. We need to get us some.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In 2017, Duke was 4-6 and beat GT and WFU at the end of the year. GT ended the year as the #39 best team; WFU #22. Duke finished #37 (w/ an O (0.46) that paled in comparison to its D (6.77)). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...7-ratings.html

In 2019, Duke is 4-6 and needs to beat WFU and Mia at the end of the year. WFU is #40 best team now; Mia #35. Duke is #73 (w/ an O (-1.83) that pales in comparison to its D (1.99)). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...9-ratings.html

Let's go beat WFU at night, get payback for last year, and make T'giving weekend interesting.
    I have been reading the board's analysis of the Duke v Wake Forest game from last year. Here is my take from that bad, bad game....Think back to when you were playing sports, acting in a school play, demonstrating a science fair experiment. Think how you would have felt and responded playing in that game last year. Its the last home game, there is nobody in the stands, its super rainy and cold, you just played your most difficult game at Clemson, you have worked like crazy in FB and in school and nobody cared enough to show up! It's just like nobody showing up for the school play! Deep down, you are hurt and tired. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I have been reading the board's analysis of the Duke v Wake Forest game from last year. Here is my take from that bad, bad game...Think back to when you were playing sports, acting in a school play, demonstrating a science fair experiment. Think how you would have felt and responded playing in that game last year. Its the last home game, there is nobody in the stands, its super rainy and cold, you just played your most difficult game at Clemson, you have worked like crazy in FB and in school and nobody cared enough to show up! It's just like nobody showing up for the school play! Deep down, you are hurt and tired. Period.
    Not only do I think you are right about that...in bold...but I think that speaks to the poor home performance over all. There's almost always a lot of empty seats. I think the Duke players would rather play in a hostile road environment than an empty or half empty WW. I know I would.

(That said, it doesn't fully explain 59-7....)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Surely someone poetic among us can write an "Ode to the Bubble Screen."
    Oh bubble pass, bubble pass,
    Your beauty doth shine!
    Turn our first and ten
    Into second and nine.

Why throw the ball downfield
    When lateral will do?
    Or maybe a swing pass;
    Third and long is due.

If only we ran strong
    Or stretched out the field
    By tossing the long ball
    With vigor and zeal

But bubble again, boys
    That’s just like a bunt!
    So fourth and five cometh
    I guess we should punt.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh bubble pass, bubble pass,
    Your beauty doth shine!
    Turn our first and ten
    Into second and nine.

Why throw the ball downfield
    When lateral will do?
    Or maybe a swing pass;
    Third and long is due.

If only we ran strong
    Or stretched out the field
    By tossing the long ball
    With vigor and zeal

But bubble again, boys
    That’s just like a bunt!
    So fourth and five cometh
    I guess we should punt.
    Good golly, Miss Molly, you might have a second career. Put that with some music and find yourself a publisher.

Amazing what you can accomplish when you're not watching volleyball on the new, but not yet improved, ACCN/X.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not only do I think you are right about that...in bold...but I think that speaks to the poor home performance over all. There's almost always a lot of empty seats. I think the Duke players would rather play in a hostile road environment than an empty or half empty WW. I know I would.

(That said, it doesn't fully explain 59-7...)
    Recently, with better results from road games, I also started to think that this is part of it. Loud, passionate fans, even if against you, is better than to play in front of than numerous empty seats...

As far as 59-7... s#!t happens.

Saturday's uniform - blue helmet, Duke in script, White otherwise.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeFOOTBAL...7034194865811/
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Chilly and wet is the forecast.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."