Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Major Duke benefactor, Aubrey McClendon, died in auto accident

Afternoon today OKC police reported death of Aubrey in one man auto accident.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Afternoon today OKC police reported death of Aubrey in one man auto accident.
    A big loss for Duke. A big loss for the Oil industry. Aubry will be missed. May he have his peace.

Also part-owner of the OKC Thunder.

Details of the incident make it sound like it wasn't an accident though.

Regardless of how it went down, RIP. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Stories now all over the online business press. Yes, very sad and tragic. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

It's interesting reading about him here from a Duke perspective. From a Seattle perspective he was always a big villain (although today, that's not really the focus). Hopefully it was just an accident. Peace and comfort to his family.

Not buying this was an "accident".

Death of Aubrey McClendon, '81

Very sad...I remember some fun moments in McClendon tower in the corner of the WEL with the rumor being McClendon said they MUST serve alcohol in the building that bears his name (made me think he was a cool guy...). Particularly very late night breakfasts at Rick's! I have no idea if he was guilty or not of the crimes he was accused of, but throughout all the shenanigans that went on with the 2008 financial crisis and has been going on in the energy industry for quite some time, basically nobody has been indicted or personally held accountable for crimes (not saying they shouldn't have, just that it has been the companies that faced fines, not individuals). Regardless of if you think he was guilty of shady business practices, I think it's indisputable that he was a pioneer and visionary in the energy industry -- he also seemed to be bluntly honest with things when I saw him speak on TV a couple times. OKC also loved him for helping bring an NBA franchise to the city and also for the jobs he created. Hope his family is able to grieve.

Here is a newspaper of record obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/03/bu...ment.html?_r=0

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Duke University Makes Claim on Estate of Aubrey McClendon

It's a legitimate claim, but it's not a smart move. Duke is an unsecured creditor which means it's in the back of the line and may receive substantially less or nothing. Going after the pledge may create bad blood and Katie McClendon is wealthy in her own right. The people who approved this move, presumably it went up to Brodhead, are not playing the long game.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/duke-uni...don-1472031001

There is NO WAY they filed this claim unless the spouse had already told them to pound sand. No way. Otherwise they would have worked it out.

The odds of them getting this money are very small, but clearly larger than if they had done nothing...which is why they filed.

From Salon

Mike Schoenfeld, Duke’s vice president of public affairs and government relations, said in an emailed statement Thursday that the claim was a “routine transaction” and was submitted after the university received a notice from McClendon’s estate to submit a claim for the unpaid portion of earlier pledges. McClendon graduated from Duke University in 1981 with a degree in history.
    (emphasis mine)

-jk

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    There is NO WAY they filed this claim unless the spouse had already told them to pound sand. No way. Otherwise they would have worked it out.

The odds of them getting this money are very small, but clearly larger than if they had done nothing...which is why they filed.
    I suppose all caps makes it true. But, of course, you have no idea.

So you're saying Duke asked KM to make good on the pledge outside the estate. I seriously doubt Duke would be dumb enough to approach a grieving widow with such a request. But if they did, it's even dumber than filing the claim. Philanthropy is a long game and poisoning the well with KM could have broader negative consequences.

Yes, Duke received the routine notice to file, but it should have chosen not to respond.
    Last edited by 77devil; 08-25-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I suppose all caps makes it true. But, of course, you have no idea.

So you're saying Duke asked KM to make good on the pledge outside the estate. I seriously doubt Duke would be dumb enough to approach a grieving widow with such a request. But if they did, it's even dumber than filing the claim. Philanthropy is a long game and poisoning the well with KM could have broader negative consequences.
    None of us have any idea. It is possible that Katie McClendon supports or is neutral about the move. If the estate is insolvent, then the only issue is which creditors receive how much. She may prefer that Duke get a share.

Or she may be incensed about the move. We are all just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

Hard to work it out when due to the volatility in the oil & gas markets nobody apparently has a definite idea of the value of the estate's assets that can be used to pay unsecured claims against the estate pro rata

Of course the potential costs in asserting the claim are not just the amount that cannot be recovered from the McClendon estate if no claim was filed but whether other donors might consider how to structure any future contributions to Duke if they perceive their heirs might take a haircut because Duke may aggressively assert claims for unpaid commitments upon their passing

The WSJ article stated some unidentified individuals in the Duke fundraising office were caught by surprise when the filing of the claim was disclosed - but no worries since we know President Brodhead is a master of avoiding any further negative stories when a high profile story about Duke hits the national media

I'd guess that nobody on our site knows the thought process behind Duke's claim, and that nobody knows whether his family intends to make good on their donation.

I knew Aubrey and his wife at Duke and liked both of them. I was later appalled by his support of fracking and Tea Party politics. At the end, I didn't know what to make of the allegations that he'd systematically cheated in his business dealings.

As for whether Duke should go after donors who may be reneging on promises, I tend to think that's a difficult part of running a major player in the intellectual industrial complex.

It has been established that the family asked Duke to make the claim, which clarifies a whole lot.

Well that reversal happened quickly

Duke University said it has withdrawn a claim for about $10 million it made against the estate of oil man Aubrey McClendon...

“While submitting such claims is generally a routine procedure, in this case our action was misperceived as adversarial to the McClendon family, which was never the intention,” a Duke spokesman said in an email. “Aubrey was one of our most passionate and loyal graduates, always willing to support Duke when asked. We are deeply sorry for any pain this has caused the McClendon family.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/duke-wit...ate-1472509797

Would be interesting to know who was in the loop when the decision was made to file a claim