Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    So uh, this is not a Yankee fan trying to rub anything in, I swear (seriously, I think baseball in NY is better when there's excitement about both teams, and as a Dolan hater, I know all too well the pain of bad ownership), but you might want to pump the breaks on getting religion.

Supposedly the Wilpons wanted changes to what Cohen had thought was a done deal, which sounds an awful lot like what happened when they were negotiating to sell part of the team to David Einhorn last year. I'm starting to think they're a bit frustrating to do business with.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/hedg...urces-say.html
    Saw this. My faith in the existence of the deity is again shaken.

So uh, this is not a Yankee fan trying to rub anything in, I swear (seriously, I think baseball in NY is better when there's excitement about both teams, and as a Dolan hater, I know all too well the pain of bad ownership), but you might want to pump the breaks on getting religion.

Supposedly the Wilpons wanted changes to what Cohen had thought was a done deal, which sounds an awful lot like what happened when they were negotiating to sell part of the team to David Einhorn last year. I'm starting to think they're a bit frustrating to do business with.

The NY Post noted that while the Wilpons want to sell to Cohen, Jeff Wilpon still wants to exert operational control after the sale goes through, including a five year transition period, and even beyond that.
    I'm not sure the young Wilpon fully understands what the implications of the word "sale" are... kind of like telling someone I'll sell you my house but will remain living in it.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/jeff-w...o-steve-cohen/

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The NY Post noted that while the Wilpons want to sell to Cohen, Jeff Wilpon still wants to exert operational control after the sale goes through, including a five year transition period, and even beyond that.
    I'm not sure the young Wilpon fully understands what the implications of the word "sale" are... kind of like telling someone I'll sell you my house but will remain living in it.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/jeff-w...o-steve-cohen/
    A sale-leaseback?

Mets

Bernie Madoff enjoyed doing business with the Wilpons.

...Supposedly the Wilpons wanted changes to what Cohen had thought was a done deal, which sounds an awful lot like what happened when they were negotiating to sell part of the team to David Einhorn last year. I'm starting to think they're a bit frustrating to do business with...
    It's almost as if they're narcissistic, predatory late-stage capitalists.

Potential changes to the baseball playoffs - my head is hurting reading it - basically 7 teams per league, top team gets a bye, other two division winners get to choose which of the four wild card teams they want to play in a best of three series. The higher seed hosts all three games in the opening round.

I am not a fan of this plan.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...umber-teams-14

Per local (NYC) sports radio: Timing of the announcement made to overshadow the cheating scandal as spring training starts?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Potential changes to the baseball playoffs - my head is hurting reading it - basically 7 teams per league, top team gets a bye, other two division winners get to choose which of the four wild card teams they want to play in a best of three series. The higher seed hosts all three games in the opening round.

I am not a fan of this plan.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...umber-teams-14
    What an embarrassment for baseball. Sounds like a bunch of gray-hairs sitting in Manhattan and wondering..."Hey, don't the youths love that reality TV these days? That seems like a great way to jazz up our postseason!"
    Nevermind that it cheapens both the regular season and postseason.
    Am pointing and laughing at MLB in its entirety today.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Per local (NYC) sports radio: Timing of the announcement made to overshadow the cheating scandal as spring training starts?
    That, and it would be a big cash grab for the owners if actually implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    That, and it would be a big cash grab for the owners if actually implemented.
    And just as likely, it helps push the negotiations farther in their direction such that the owners get what they really want (which is something we’ll short of Manfred’s suggestion).

Not really hot stove news, rather MLB news. They went ahead with the 3 batter minimum or end the inning rule. I love this. I cannot stand the numerous pitching changes once the starter is removed. Managers are overthinking things way too much. Hopefully this will help speed the game along some.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Not really hot stove news, rather MLB news. They went ahead with the 3 batter minimum or end the inning rule. I love this. I cannot stand the numerous pitching changes once the starter is removed. Managers are overthinking things way too much. Hopefully this will help speed the game along some.
    Eh, I am not in favor of that one. Seems like a totally arbitrary and unnecessary restriction. It also doesn’t seem like one that will dramatically improve pace of play. There just aren’t that many one-batter-but-not-inning-ending outings in a baseball game. With starters going fewer and fewer innings, relievers are being asked to pitch more innings, and that has made the one-out reliever a problematic guy to carry and use regularly.

Ultimately, I think the one thing that would actually improve pace of play would be the pitch clock, but baseball seems loathe to do it. Things like the three batter rule and the no-pitch intentional walk are lipstick on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I am not in favor of that one. Seems like a totally arbitrary and unnecessary restriction. It also doesn’t seem like one that will dramatically improve pace of play. There just aren’t that many one-batter-but-not-inning-ending outings in a baseball game. With starters going fewer and fewer innings, relievers are being asked to pitch more innings, and that has made the one-out reliever a problematic guy to carry and use regularly.
    I'm fine with restricting the number of pitchers, but I agree, I don't like a three hitter / inning end minimum. Go ahead and make pitchers a more precious resource, but managers should still be allowed to use that resource as they see fit.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?