Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Clearly, time to declare an alumni dividend.

(there is a thread on the OTB about this btw)
    Is there a hedge fund we can buy into -- which can pay out (a) tuition assistance for undergrads and (b) % return for investors as well?

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    Am I really going to be the first to suggest a portion should go to solving our play calling woes on the football field? After the monorail, of course.
    Monorail to East West campus and sporting venues and the airport -- then a bridge to nowhere in the direction of Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's another source which is better and well suited to DBR -- a pie chart.

Duke is ranked #9 nationwide in diversity -- very, very good -- although I can't verify the web site and methodology.

Leaving out 10.4 percent of "non-resident aliens,"

45.7% White
    21.3% Asian
    9.7% Black or African
    8.2% Hispanic/Latino

The rest (4.7%) are other or unknown.
    Just for comparison, in the 2010 census, the US population was:

White 72.4%
    Hispanic and Latino Americans (of any race) 16.3%
    Black or African American 12.6%
    Asian 4.8%
    Native Americans and Alaska Natives 0.9%
    Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders 0.2%
    Two or more races 2.9%
    Other 6.2%

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's another source which is better and well suited to DBR -- a pie chart.

Duke is ranked #9 nationwide in diversity -- very, very good -- although I can't verify the web site and methodology.

Leaving out 10.4 percent of "non-resident aliens,"

45.7% White
    21.3% Asian
    9.7% Black or African
    8.2% Hispanic/Latino

The rest (4.7%) are other or unknown.
    Question for the forum: do you think the increasing international make up is one thing hurting student attendance, even in Cameron?
    Not saying it is or isn't, and not saying it's a problem if it is, just wondering what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    how would you spend this money?
    For starters,

I'd build a tree fort in our yard
    you could help, it wouldn't be that hard ...

I'd buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)

I'd buy you a monkey* (haven't you always wanted a monkey?)

[*named Reginald, and he'd have the Vikes by 2.
    Just don't give him too much Johnnie Walker Blue,
    ... because all the Littles know what he might do]

Thanks for the ideas, Ed and Steven ... and Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke budgets for a 5% return on endowments.
    It's not so much a 5% "return" that Duke budgets for but rather Duke (and most other colleges, universities and other non-profits that have endowments) target a certain annual "withdrawal" rate (usually in the range of 4 to 5% per year) from their endowment. The goal, therefore, for the people who manage the endowment is to try to have average investment gains over time that will exceed this withdrawal rate, so that the endowment will continue to grow, even after the annual withdrawals (and not including new contributions to the endowment). Many institutions will also use some type of rolling average (over 3 or 4 years) to even out (somewhat) the ups and downs in the value of the endowment on a year to year basis. If Duke has an approximate endowment of $9 billion and it uses a 5% withdrawal rate, then it would be taking roughly $450 million out of the endowment (each year) and then transfer that over to the operating budget of the university to help pay for scholarships, faculty salaries, athletic budgets, and other operating expenses. I believe Duke has an operating budget in the range of $3.8 billion per year (not including the medical center), so the withdrawals from the endowment fund about 12% of the annual operating budget.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Question for the forum: do you think the increasing international make up is one thing hurting student attendance, even in Cameron?
    Not saying it is or isn't, and not saying it's a problem if it is, just wondering what others think.
    I’m sure it has an impact as I’d think students that didn’t grow up around football or basketball wouldn’t have the same interest level. Put me in college in England or India and I doubt I go to cricket matches.

endless possibilities...here are 5

There are endless possibilities to spend the money:

1) Endow a neuroscience institute to fund research on Neurologic Disease. Huge unmet need for society.

2) Undergrad financial aid (although the poor are being targeted there is a donut hole for middle class students or maybe more precisely upper middle class students).

3) More exotic: A medical/engineering/basic research fund to promote collaboration between triangle schools. Grants must be submitted by multiple investigators with one being from Duke and one being from either UNC or NC State. I know the sharing of wealth with the enemy may be frowned upon on this page, but it would encourage scientific collaborations between the schools that would leverage the strength of the triangle area.

4) Free Medical School. Not my favorite idea, but NYU is now free. Wash U announced full rides for 50% of their students this year. It will be an arms race to have free med school. If we want the top students we will probably need to move in that direction.

5) Venture Capital fund to promote Duke discoveries into companies and hopefully future revenue for Duke from both the venture capital and patent rights.

6) More fully fund the alumni office in order to fund more alumni events around the country. Over time this might come back through the development office in increased donations.

Sadly it is really easy to spend 250 million dollars. Particularly if you will only take 12 million a year from an endowment at 5%

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    There are endless possibilities to spend the money:

2) Undergrad financial aid (although the poor are being targeted there is a donut hole for middle class students or maybe more precisely upper middle class students).

5) Venture Capital fund to promote Duke discoveries into companies and hopefully future revenue for Duke from both the venture capital and patent rights.

Sadly it is really easy to spend 250 million dollars. Particularly if you will only take 12 million a year from an endowment at 5%
    A few comments on these (and other previous comments).
    *As I understand it, Duke withdraws 4% per year from the endowment. Fortunately, the fund managers have made more than that most years (except during financial crisis)
    *Part of this gift will go into financial aid endowment, which has been a major initiative for Duke for over a decade. These funds will be available for scholarships (hopefully as matching funds) for both Trinity and Pratt students. Duke admissions are need-blind.
    *Some of this gift will be directed to Pratt for important initiatives (TBD), including as supporting funds for the new building (until a lead gift is received).
    *there are “venture” type funds at Duke right now (such as the Duke Angel Network) that allow interested parties to invest in Duke entrepreneurial efforts.

This is a very exciting gift for Duke. And it is the culmination of the generous legacy of the Thomas Lord Foundation, which has been generously awarding significant grants to the school of engineering since the 80s.

I know I wouldn’t give it to a private university with BILLIONS in endowment. I would look for something much more meaningful and impactful on social justice.

you can still name the helmet cubbyholes after yourself at the women's softball field for $5,000, so that's a solid start.

I would endow ACC volleyball with it's tv own channel.

Can anyone guess why?

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Monorail.
    That's more of a Shelbyville idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    That's more of a Shelbyville idea.
    Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!

Especially if by Shelbyville you mean Detroit, and if by Monorail you mean the People Mover.

Apologies to Weezie!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!

Especially if by Shelbyville you mean Detroit, and if by Monorail you mean the People Mover.

Maybe Flint should consider a Monorail...after all, it put Ogdenville and North Haverbrook on the map!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Maybe Flint should consider a Monorail...after all, it put Ogdenville and North Haverbrook on the map!!
    What’s it called?

I'd buy a cheap politician.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If I had that kind of money, I would buy every ticket to every game at the Dean Dome for a decade. Then, not go.
    Would that be a meaningful distinction in the noise level at a typical game?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Buy around 50 rams. Dye them Duke blue and paint "DUKE" in white on their flanks. Turn them loose on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill.
    And that night would be forever remembered by chapel hill fraternities as "the best night EVER!" (wink, wink).

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Is Data USA run by a "u"nc math major? I've added those numbers up three times and am still left wondering what ethnicity the other 21% are?.
    Undecided?

So, as I understand it, what would I do with ANOTHER quarter billion dollars …

I would negotiate the donation that would yield me a dozen or so tickets behind the bench for ALL the "good" games, the necessary number of suites at the Washington Duke Inn (including the hospitality suite) for my group for each game, and the team jet to pick us up and return us.

I would also get pricing on the cost of hacking the video display at the Dean Dome. Just idle curiosity.

The rest I would spend frivolously …

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Can anyone guess why?
    Apparently not...

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Can anyone guess why?
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Apparently not...
    Some might hazard a guess about endowed volleyball players.

I wouldn't ...