Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    lots of potential for a really good team, something we haven't necessarily seen recently.
    Huh? We haven't seen a really good Duke team recently? I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    You can argue whether we deserve it or not, but this team will very likely be #1 in the country next week. We are spoiled. The train keeps rolling...
    Been there; done that. Want more.

The only thing I disliked about tonight's game were those god awful commercials. Those have to be some of the crappiest products ever made and it reminds me of those lousy commercials you used to see at 3 AM in the morning way back when. The only thing missing was some black lady with a fake accent telling me to call her so she could tell my fortune and those enhanced young ladies asking me if I was lonely and if so to call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Huh? We haven't seen a really good Duke team recently? I don't understand.
    i think team was the operative word, and that's not a dig, it's more that we've had some stupendous players it made sense to run plays for. we shall see when we play some more real competition, but if you ask for my "ideal roster" it's a pair of dynamic guards with great chemistry who can create, but don't force and can apply great ball pressure...and some bigs to clean up on both ends of the floor.

I don't mean that's the only way to win, but if you ask me the kind of team that can be successful that i'd most like to watch, it's like that. you're all but forced to depend on your teammates on both sides of the floor. Not that other duke teams haven't been good, or were bad teammates or anything, just last year, we could let RJ or Zion do their thing, and sometimes that opened up possibilities for others...but mostly they did their thing. The year before, we were juggling letting MB3 or Carter or grayson or Gary Trent do their thing...all while duvall wanted to do his own thing.

This team doesn't have a guy who can just do his own thing. Stanley might be closest, but the amount that he and tre feed off eachother has been really really cool. I like that. That's how I want to watch basketball.

So perhaps the statement was more about my own bias than anything about some objective quality of the team to win.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    He's a special player. He's so much more than an amazing vertical. He is aggressive and yet plays within himself, and it's always the right play.
    Not that I’m saying he is as good but in many ways I see a little Zion in Stanley. They both really get at it defensively and bring a contagious energy to the floor. They also are capable of scoring big numbers but neither really dominate the ball. Also, they both just seem to have so much fun out there. Oh, and they both can jump out of the gym

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The only thing I disliked about tonight's game were those god awful commercials. Those have to be some of the crappiest products ever made and it reminds me of those lousy commercials you used to see at 3 AM in the morning way back when. The only thing missing was some black lady with a fake accent telling me to call her so she could tell my fortune and those enhanced young ladies asking me if I was lonely and if so to call them.
    Geez, I’m glad I was at Cameron and didn’t have to endure those tv commercials. I am kind of intrigued to see them now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Cassius Stanley is poor at only one thing -- looking like a four-year college player.
    It may just be me but Cassius has the look of a player that doesn't get real high and doesn't get real low. It's like he let's his playing speak for him. If he continues to play like this and I don't see why he wouldn't, he can have any look on his face and I won't care one bit. I like the way he get's into his defensive position and he's the kind of player that looks to be all over the court. Good game for Coach K to play all his players and they performed quite well. GoDuke!

so it wasn't just my Internet feed? After that fifth showing of "copper-infused" support hose, I thought our Internet overlords had me characterized as old, arthritic and gullible and I wondered "How did they know?"

Are we not doing "Man of the Match" polls anymore?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Geez, I’m glad I was at Cameron and didn’t have to endure those tv commercials. I am kind of intrigued to see them now, though.
    I totally agree! I had to keep telling myself that it's better than not seeing the game. I did feel much better when the announcer proclaimed that If you act now, they would double the order and you would receive not one but TWO pairs of Night Vision Glasses that originally cost 4,739 dollars.! The fact that these exemplary optical instruments could now be had for 39 dollars, was a game changer and I immediately hit the mute button.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    I totally agree! I had to keep telling myself that it's better than not seeing the game. I did feel much better when the announcer proclaimed that If you act now, they would double the order and you would receive not one but TWO pairs of Night Vision Glasses that originally cost 4,739 dollars.! The fact that these exemplary optical instruments could now be had for 39 dollars, was a game changer and I immediately hit the mute button.
    I only got a passing glance at the various products. I started watching the beginning of the game about an hour late and by the end I was almost in real time. I went triple speed through commercials and halftime.

Similarly, I can watch two football games semi-simultaneously, skipping the non-action parts, and still come in under three hours.

The DVR is my good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    so it wasn't just my Internet feed? After that fifth showing of "copper-infused" support hose, I thought our Internet overlords had me characterized as old, arthritic and gullible and I wondered "How did they know?"
    So you’re telling me you didn’t immediately purchase Night Hero night vision goggles and Battle Glasses HD daytime glasses? You have more self control than I.

Yep. The ACCN is not yet attracting Mercedes, Coca-Cola or Budweiser.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The only thing I disliked about tonight's game were those god awful commercials.
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I started watching the beginning of the game about an hour late and by the end I was almost in real time. I went triple speed through commercials and halftime... The DVR is my good friend.
    Yeah, same. I DVR'ed the 7:00 PM EST game and started watching at 9:30 PM. Done by 11:00 PM. Skipped all commercials, still watched Coach K interview at half time, shaved 30 minutes.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Stanley is very confusing...

1) I was upset when Boogie Ellis dropped Duke because Stanley came on board. I thought we desperately needed Boogie's 3pt shooting (and, in fairness, it wouldn't hurt). But oh boy, I was wrong...

2) I don't understand how you play 24 minutes and have the discipline to only take really good shots. And only 5 of them! This kid is not a freshman, is he?...

3) I don't get how you have 3 steals AND 3 blocks in such little time. I understand, over-matched competition. But to have that with only 1 foul? Yeah, this kid can't be a freshman

4) The best part of watching Stanley is his rotation defense and positioning. Yes, he's great at steals and blocks. Yes, he's incredibly disciplined. But that understanding of defensive positioning is arguably the most advanced I've seen of any freshman. It's really incredible...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Dan Bonner

It took me a while watching the telecast, which I joined late in the first half, to be certain that Dan Bonner was the color commentator. Initially his vaguely familiar voice sounded weak, tired, and hoarse. Like an old man's. Don't intend to start a rumor, and I have no information, but is Bonner suffering some malady?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1) I was upset when Boogie Ellis dropped Duke because Stanley came on board. I thought we desperately needed Boogie's 3pt shooting (and, in fairness, it wouldn't hurt). But oh boy, I was wrong...

2) I don't understand how you play 24 minutes and have the discipline to only take really good shots. And only 5 of them! This kid is not a freshman, is he?...

3) I don't get how you have 3 steals AND 3 blocks in such little time. I understand, over-matched competition. But to have that with only 1 foul? Yeah, this kid can't be a freshman

4) The best part of watching Stanley is his rotation defense and positioning. Yes, he's great at steals and blocks. Yes, he's incredibly disciplined. But that understanding of defensive positioning is arguably the most advanced I've seen of any freshman. It's really incredible...
    Yeah, he's been awesome. It's always interesting when a class comes in and other players are more hyped yet an unexpected one jumps out as being ready from the jump.

I don't know if the stats back it up, but I think back to the 2002-2003 season and wanting to see greatness from Shav after the crazy recruiting battle but it was Redick who most quickly established himself and, to a lesser extent, Scheyer over Henderson,

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    ...So far this season, our opponents have attempted 72 free throws while Duke has attempted just 55...
    Duke doesn't get any of the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

As I mentioned on the most recent podcast, Cassius Stanley may be a freshman in terms of college experience, but he is more like a junior in terms of age. He is 20 years old already. He was born on August 18, 1999. For comparison purposes, Wendell Moore was born on September 18, 2001... more than two years after Cassius. Cassius will be legally drinking alcohol many months before RJ and Zion do.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The FT rate is baffling because we seem more determined than ever to drive the ball. Are we not proficient at drawing fouls?
    The refs called a handful of charges early on (for both teams) and I thought our guys responded by pulling up more and staying vertical when going up for the shot after driving, rather than initiating contact. I was actually encouraged that they made this adjustment. There were games last year where we kept doing the same thing over and over and getting called for the charge every time because that's how the game was being called and we never adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    Why would 6 transition baskets in 40 minutes be a worry?
    In the big picture of this game it's not, but I can recall at least two of those being the result of really bad shots/decisions on our end that led to breaks the other way. And we could project that making those types of plays in a "real" game could be the difference between winning and losing. It's hard to maintain focus when you're up by 50, but K expects the team to be 100% on, even in a glorified practice like this.