Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I'll keep mine kind of short. This decade was a decade of self change and discovery.

After always being brilliant in school growing up, I dropped out of college for performance reasons.

Got a good paying job.

Seen both my grandfathers pass away to cancer and alzheimer's.

Saw my mom struggle through addiction to alcohol and pills and come out of it clean after almost 50 years.

Changed religions 6 times. (Fundamentalist Christian, Christian, deist, a couple I'm embarrassed to list, and now agnostic or atheist depending on the definition used)

Changed political positions 4 times. (Alt-right, center right, center left, and now liberal)

Went from a conspiracy theorist to not believing in any of them really.

Went from anti vaxx to pro vaxx.

Re-discovered my love I had growing up for chemistry and biology.

Discovered I have ADHD and suffer from depression which explains why I failed so hard in college. I couldn't focus and was too depressed to ever leave my room for days on end.

Next decade will be about starting fresh. I plan on going back to college at age 30 in the fall of 2020. With the help of medications I'm confident this time around will be different.
    Last edited by JNort; 11-24-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Next decade will be about starting fresh. I plan on going back to college at age 30 in the fall of 2020. With the help of medications I’m confident this time around will be different.
    I’m confident you’re correct. You’ve found your true identity, solved your critical issues, and developed a great plan. Your willingness to publicly share your productive journey is also another positive indicator.

Please let us know if we can help. I’m a finance geek and a PM away if you ever desire.

If I can hold out about five weeks longer, I will have avoided posting a list of my many impressive (so many I've forgotten at least half of them) achievements of the past decade. The teaching nuns at The Convent of The Sacred Heart always chastised us with, "Nobody likes a braggart."

Not that it will be easy, though.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    If I can hold out about five weeks longer, I will have avoided posting a list of my many impressive (so many I've forgotten at least half of them) achievements of the past decade. The teaching nuns at The Convent of The Sacred Heart always chastised us with, "Nobody likes a braggart."

Not that it will be easy, though.
    The better question is, what hasn’t weezie done this decade?

I'll keep mine kind of short. This decade was a decade of self change and discovery.

After always being brilliant in school growing up, I dropped out of college for performance reasons.

Got a good paying job.

Saw my mom struggle through addiction to alcohol and pills and come out of it clean after almost 50 years.

Changed religions 6 times. (Fundamentalist Christian, Christian, deist, a couple I'm embarrassed to list, and now agnostic or atheist depending on the definition used)

Changed political positions 4 times. (Alt-right, center right, center left, and now liberal)

Discovered I have ADHD and suffer from depression which explains why I failed so hard in college. I couldn't focus and was too depressed to ever leave my room for days on end.

Next decade will be about starting fresh. I plan on going back to college at age 30 in the fall of 2020. With the help of medications I'm confident this time around will be different.
    Those are some powerful personal evolutions. Some people can go all or most of their lives without really interrogating why they believe what they believe, let alone changing their beliefs based on some sort of external input or internal soul-searching. So, good for you! Care to share how, why you changed so much?

I've had some decent movement...and one side of my family one generation back all violently and thoroughly rejected the Catholocism of their youth by their 30s...but nothing like what you describe.

Got a good paying job.

My God I'm boring. Just paddling along in the middle of the river where no one seems to be anymore.

At least in one sense I will be starting the new decade fresh. I have two brand new knees to take on the road.
    Last edited by camion; 11-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Saw my mom struggle through addiction to alcohol and pills and come out of it clean after almost 50 years
    Everything you said is heartwarming but this is particularly so.

Helping to raise two daughters, 3 and 1, with a boy on the way. Truly the most important thing in my life and the only thing I really care about. I had an opportunity to make about $40k more by traveling Sunday- Thursday for a job but turned it down in a heartbeat. Some might call it silly but spending time with my little girls is the greatest gift of all. No money can replace it. Looking back at my childhood, the most important thing I remember is my dad and mom always being there. My dad would come home covered in black crap from the mill and look tired as hell after his long day. He never once complained and he always played with my brother and I. The greatest gift a parent can give a child is time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    You mean it’s not? Then why do I have all these lawnmower beers?
    And why else does my lawn tractor have a cup holder?

Got a good paying job.

JNort, you've had major challenges and huge changes along the way. I'm sure none of that was easy. But now you have a plan and ambitions - hurray and wishing you much success and happiness!

Not until age 33 did I start turning my life around, so you are 3 years to the good!

JNort, I'm an idiot.

You go, man and make us all proud. Keep fighting.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Keep a low profile. Don't attract any undue attention.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Keep a low profile. Don't attract any undue attention.
    +1

I managed not to have the black helicopters descend upon me for my subversive views.

Got a good paying job.

This is quite an odyssey. Congratulations.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here we go...

- Met a good woman
    - Shacked up with the woman (later bought a house together)
    - Graduated college with a degree I don't use and a bunch of student debt.
    - Grew an awesome beard (trimmed off about 4 inches yesterday and it's still long).
    - Started a facial hair club.
    - As President of the club we raised over $20k in 5 years for a local veterans shelter, volunteered at various community events, and held blood drives amongst many thing.
    - Got married to the woman I wrote about above.
    - Rescued a dog with my wife.
    - Had what was supposed to be a routine gallbladder surgery turn into 30 staples and the worst gallbladder my surgeon has ever seen.
    - Picked up golf again and glad that I did.
    - Attended my first game in Cameron!