Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playstation Vue TV streaming alternatives for sports programming?

I cut the cord with Xfinity/Comcast earlier this year. After extensive research, I signed up for PlayStation Vue. I mainly watch sports, and it had all the sports channels I could ever want - all major networks, ESPN, Fox Sports, NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB channels, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, the college networks, tennis, olympics, golf, soccer, etc. I was happy, the quality was good, and I was paying a lot less than cable. But PlayStation Vue (Sony) just announced they would not continue the service next year. I'm really sad. And now I have to figure out where to go. No other streaming service seems to carry all US domestic channels. fubo is missing ESPN, youtube is missing the NFL/Redzone, Sling doesn't have Fox, Hulu doesn't have NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB, etc. I don't mind paying for the add-ons to include sports (still cheaper than Xfinity, and with no contract!), I just want one streaming service that has all I need.

Any streaming recommendations out there?

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

We’ve been happy with hulu live. We had Direct TV Now until I switched because it didn’t have ACC network.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    We’ve been happy with hulu live. We had Direct TV Now until I switched because it didn’t have ACC network.
    I understand Hulu Live doesn't carry NFL Network/NFL Redzone, or the NBA, NHL and MLB channels. Is that correct?

9F

What I see on Hulu Live is:
    ACC Network
    BTN
    CBS Sports network
    Espn
    Multiple espn college extra
    Espn goal line
    Espn2
    Espnews
    EspnU
    Fox Sports South
    Foc Sports Carolinas
    FS1
    FS2
    NBC golf
    Olympic Channel
    SEC network

None of what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What I see on Hulu Live is:
    ACC Network
    BTN
    CBS Sports network
    Espn
    Multiple espn college extra
    Espn goal line
    Espn2
    Espnews
    EspnU
    Fox Sports South
    Foc Sports Carolinas
    FS1
    FS2
    NBC golf
    Olympic Channel
    SEC network

None of what you are looking for.
    Yeah, thanks. Not having NFL Channel/RedZone/NBA Channel/beIN is a total deal breaker. I could live without MLB, Tennis, NHL, Longhorn, etc., but I do watch them from time to time. My sports TV focus really liked PS Vue. I'm hoping another option comes up to fill the void. You'd think another service would just make a higher tier cost and add everything...

9F

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I cut the cord with Xfinity/Comcast earlier this year. After extensive research, I signed up for PlayStation Vue. I mainly watch sports, and it had all the sports channels I could ever want - all major networks, ESPN, Fox Sports, NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB channels, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, the college networks, tennis, olympics, golf, soccer, etc. I was happy, the quality was good, and I was paying a lot less than cable. But PlayStation Vue (Sony) just announced they would not continue the service next year. I'm really sad. And now I have to figure out where to go. No other streaming service seems to carry all US domestic channels. fubo is missing ESPN, youtube is missing the NFL/Redzone, Sling doesn't have Fox, Hulu doesn't have NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB, etc. I don't mind paying for the add-ons to include sports (still cheaper than Xfinity, and with no contract!), I just want one streaming service that has all I need.

Any streaming recommendations out there?

9F
    This is very disappointing. Thanks for the intel. I have been using PSVue for several years, as they provide all of the sports channels I need:

ESPN
    ESPN2
    TNT
    TBS
    TruTV
    CBS

Anyone know if I can get that set of channels elsewhere? In case it is not obvious, I only watch college basketball and NBA basketball. I don't watch any movies, shows, or other sports.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    This is very disappointing. Thanks for the intel. I have been using PSVue for several years, as they provide all of the sports channels I need:

ESPN
    ESPN2
    TNT
    TBS
    TruTV
    CBS

Anyone know if I can get that set of channels elsewhere? In case it is not obvious, I only watch college basketball and NBA basketball. I don't watch any movies, shows, or other sports.
    Hulu Live has all of those and more

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    and they will have a nice bundle with Disney+ in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Except the NBA Channel, and Fox/Regional channels nationwide like PS Vue. And the Longhorn and Pac 12 Networks if you want even more hoops (like me).

9F

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Except the NBA Channel, and Fox/Regional channels nationwide like PS Vue. And the Longhorn and Pac 12 Networks if you want even more hoops (like me).

9F
    Yeah, I noticed that they don't have the regional Fox sports channels, however I rarely watch these.

I also get enough NBA from TNT and ESPN coverage, but what streaming service would you recommend over Hulu, kako?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    and they will have a nice bundle with Disney+ in a few days.
    But from what I understand, the bundle does not include Hulu live. Just the on demand content

Here is the PC Mag online feature that cemented my choice of YouTube TV. The sports-heavy content is great for me, I'm not into NBA or NFL. I get a good selection of Premier League, Champions League, and several other soccer league games.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/336650...aming-services

I also pay for Netflix and have Amazon Prime.

I get virtually all Duke football and basketball games that are shown on TV.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    But from what I understand, the bundle does not include Hulu live. Just the on demand content
    Thank you, LV. (cannot give sporks at this time).

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Thank you, LV. (cannot give sporks at this time).
    Being a Hulu live subscriber AND a soon to be Disney + subscriber, I really hope we get a bundle for it. Better yet, merge into one app!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that they don't have the regional Fox sports channels, however I rarely watch these.

I also get enough NBA from TNT and ESPN coverage, but what streaming service would you recommend over Hulu, kako?
    I haven't found one yet. PS Vue is around until Jan 2020, so I'm watching the feeds to see if another streaming service picks up the slack. But I fear that I might have to go back to cable to get the sports channels I want.

I did find this site that is tracking sports streaming. But it's not 100% correct, so I'm just using it as a reference. The proof is going to each streaming site to confirm.

9F

It seems somewhat obvious to me that PlayStation Vue's biggest problem was its branding. A lot of people are going to see "PlayStation" and assume it requires the console or is something to do with gaming. "Sony Vue" or just "Vue" might have done better.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It seems somewhat obvious to me that PlayStation Vue's biggest problem was its branding. A lot of people are going to see "PlayStation" and assume it requires the console or is something to do with gaming. "Sony Vue" or just "Vue" might have done better.
    Agree with the branding of the service, but they also had lots of technical issues with authenticating subscribers’ location, the interface was often slow and streaming choppy. Since it is so easy to switch streaming providers, I think these annoying user experience things may also have done them in. I switched to YouTubeTV as soon as their app was available on Fire stick (and I was a pretty active promoter of PlayStation Vue).

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Agree with the branding of the service, but they also had lots of technical issues with authenticating subscribers’ location, the interface was often slow and streaming choppy. Since it is so easy to switch streaming providers, I think these annoying user experience things may also have done them in. I switched to YouTubeTV as soon as their app was available on Fire stick (and I was a pretty active promoter of PlayStation Vue).
    I think that’s a fair criticism. I’ve had issues with just about all OTT streaming services I have tried. Directv now, YouTube tv, ps vue,Hulu live...they all suck IMO. It’s been a couple years since launch for these services so I’m just not sure why someone can’t nail it.

I think that’s a fair criticism. I’ve had issues with just about all OTT streaming services I have tried. Directv now, YouTube tv, ps vue,Hulu live...they all suck IMO. It’s been a couple years since launch for these services so I’m just not sure why someone can’t nail it.
    Hulu Live raising prices $10. Unbelievable. I decided to drop them and go back to YouTube tv and I have to say, it’s much better now than what it used to be. Hands down I think it’s the best streaming service for live TV. Streams start fast and no hicccups with 2 days of streaming. The guide is horrible and is in some weird grouping order. Sports all together, news all together, etc.
    This can be fixed by editing your custom guide filter but it takes some time to hide the garbage channels and rearrange in alphabetical order. For $50 a month though, it’s the best hands down.

Hulu Live raising prices $10. Unbelievable. I decided to drop them and go back to YouTube tv and I have to say, it’s much better now than what it used to be. Hands down I think it’s the best streaming service for live TV. Streams start fast and no hicccups with 2 days of streaming. The guide is horrible and is in some weird grouping order. Sports all together, news all together, etc.
    This can be fixed by editing your custom guide filter but it takes some time to hide the garbage channels and rearrange in alphabetical order. For $50 a month though, it’s the best hands down.
    YouTube doesn't have NFL Network/Redzone, Fox College Sports or beIN. I could maybe live without the last 2, but NFL Network/Redzone is a must have for me. Other than Sunday and Monday nights, I probably watch the NFL on Redzone 90% of the time.

PS Vue also has a lousy guide. Maybe it's a streaming network thing to try different groupings. At least PS Vue let you put favorites in a different section. But if it's working fine, I wish <insert company name here> wouldn't try and fix it!

9F