Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy MJ story

Crazy MJ story

I don't doubt it... matches up with other stuff I've read and heard about him over the years.

link

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I don't doubt it... matches up with other stuff I've read and heard about him over the years.

link
    That is such a great MJ story... he was a basketball god. Most folks would tell a story like this and it would seem fake... with Michael, it seems entirely real.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

9F him.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Shouldn’t this be moved to the Degenerate Gamblers thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That is such a great MJ story... he was a basketball god. Most folks would tell a story like this and it would seem fake... with Michael, it seems entirely real.
    It seems the twitter sleuths have yet to be able to find the game in question...Roenick may have been exaggerating a bit.

Here's a list of all games the Bulls won against the Cavs where Jordan scored 40 or more. The most likely game is March 28, 1992, where Jordan scored 44 points and the Bulls won 126-102, but Jeremy Roenick played (and scored) in a game in Hartford, CT that night.
    Last edited by Truth&Justise; 11-12-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    9f him.

right on.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I've seen Roenick golf in person. He can be very good at times !

No athlete has ever been better than Jeremy Roenick in Sega Hockey c. 1994

This story does nothing to reduce Jordan's status as a POS human being.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    This story does nothing to reduce Jordan's status as a POS human being.
    I admire his genius on the court and have a healthy disdain for just about everything else about him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just another reason for me to dislike MJ. He's always been a "me or I" person. Putting personal gratification ahead of his team and team mates. Not playing golf but consuming 10 beers on top of playing at least 27 holes on game day. 9F him is right. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    It seems the twitter sleuths have yet to be able to find the game in question...Roenick may have been exaggerating a bit.

Here's a list of all games the Bulls won against the Cavs where Jordan scored 40 or more. The most likely game is March 28, 1992, where Jordan scored 44 points and the Bulls won 126-102, but Jeremy Roenick played (and scored) in a game in Hartford, CT that night.
    This was my assumption as soon as I read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

Interesting, as Roenick claimed it was an off day for him.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Interesting, as Roenick claimed it was an off day for him.
    Right. That's what is casting some doubt on Roenick's story as he told it (there aren't really any other games that would fit Roenick's description, apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Right. That's what is casting some doubt on Roenick's story as he told it (there aren't really any other games that would fit Roenick's description, apparently).
    Or maybe he doesn’t want to admit he played drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Nice of him to do it for MJ, then

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post

link
    So...Michael Jordan was a point shaver? I always knew he was a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Or, human memories are imperfect. Especially over a long period of time.

They aren't digitally recorded, for later playback. They're more stories that we tell ourselves over and over, sort of like a one-person game of Telephone (for those that remember that phenomenon). We subtly and unconsciously change the details over time, either out of simple error, or so that the story makes more sense in our greater narrative of self.

In fairness to MJ...

...10 beers for a ~215 lb athlete over a 10 hour period means he's at most buzzed, not drunk.

Not commenting on the ethics of it all, just the booze.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Or, human memories are imperfect. Especially over a long period of time.

They aren't digitally recorded, for later playback. They're more stories that we tell ourselves over and over, sort of like a one-person game of Telephone (for those that remember that phenomenon). We subtly and unconsciously change the details over time, either out of simple error, or so that the story makes more sense in our greater narrative of self.
    Very true. I'm reading Bill Bryson's new book, The Body, right now and he cites a story about a study where people were told repeatedly they were involved in an attack or robbed or something as a child or teenager and then interviewed later and not only did a large percentage of them believe it actually happened but they gave detailed accounts of everything that occurred. It just goes to show that our memories are sketchy at best and trying to remember details of an event that happened years ago is not easy.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."