Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Well, if you're giving us a win tomorrow, we'll be 5-5. So then just one more win. Espn right now gives us a 62.9% chance of losing to WFU and 60.7% chance of losing to the U, so chance of losing both = 38% meaning 62% chance we get to 6.

And if we beat beat Syracuse and are just 1 away, I see that 62% chance going up to 70%.
    I would submit, however, that all those percentages are based upon season long statistics, and do not capture the severe nosedive our offense has taken in the last month. I think it would be more realistic to say that we have about a 20% chance vs Wake, maybe 14% vs Miami...we simply can't score points.

We interrupt this weather report for a nice Steve Wiseman article on the remarkable recovery from injury of Will Taylor who will replace our starting center who was injured last week.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...237388884.html
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    LOL in return, if you actually read the Saturday forecast, there is no mention of 30-40 mph winds, only 25-30 for Saturday. Higher winds expected closer to the coast.
    You do know they constantly update that, right? So what I quoted yesterday is not the same as will be written at any period of time.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Are there any updates on Kraeling or Blackwell? Or any other of our walking wounded (besides Wohlabaugh, whom we know is out).

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Are there any updates on Kraeling or Blackwell? Or any other of our walking wounded (besides Wohlabaugh, whom we know is out).

220px-Get_Smart-Cone-of-silence.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I wanted to propose a pie/baked goods bet and take Duke on principle this time, but 10 points? That seems crazy. Smart money here seems like Syracuse +10. But Vegas knows what that looks like to a Joe Q like me. Vegas must know something.

Hopefully this means Duke is due for a blowout win. I'm not touching this one with even a pastry bet.

Just win Duke.

LOL in return, if you actually read the Saturday forecast, there is no mention of 30-40 mph winds, only 25-30 for Saturday. Higher winds expected closer to the coast.
    That is not nearly as good a story.

Gameday Saturday

Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

Preview from Syracuse site with focus on a revamped defense (they fired their D Coordinator two weeks ago):

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...10-things.html
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Preview from Syracuse site with focus on a revamped defense (they fired their D Coordinator two weeks ago):

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...10-things.html
    Thanks for the link to the Syracuse local newspaper. Very good preview. I've found they do a good job -- one of the more reliable at explaining all the ins and outs of bowl selection. Worried about our loss at C. Sounds like their D will try to get after Q w/ renewed vigor. Hopefully he can find running lanes or get the ball out to our RBs on toss sweeps, options from the pitch, or quick passes.

Looking forward to watching most of the game -- mirabile dictu, I believe I've found a way to access the ACC Network.

Game Day Devils. Let's go! Looks like we may not have rain after all.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Can the offense score points? That is the big question for today.

After scoring 30+ points, in five consecutive games, Duke has not scored more than 17 points in three straight losses.

Successfully passing the ball will be required. No turnovers.

My confidence in the defense remains high. The offense has to step up.
    Bob Green

Any injury updates? Kraeling? Blackwell?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Any injury updates? Kraeling? Blackwell?
    holdeth not thy breath as ye seek injury updates, Cut doth not provide.
    Having said that, I think you can count out Kraeling based upon the manner of his exit from the ND game.

holdeth not thy breath as ye seek injury updates, Cut doth not provide.
    Having said that, I think you can count out Kraeling based upon the manner of his exit from the ND game.
    College football coaches are notoriously paranoid. Loose lips, ships and all that.

Until a few years ago the ACC released injury reports on Thursday. The coaches voted to eliminate them. My understanding is that Cut and Paul Johnson were the two coaches who voted to keep the injury report.

So, don't blame Cut. If he had his druthers, he would be providing these. But he feels like giving out injury information while the opposition keeps that same information secret puts Duke at a competitive disadvantage.

Angry

Just a reminder, in hopes the boys will play angry & the coaches will coach angry, we should be first in the Coastal (4-1), ahead of the Hoos even with the bad loss to them. What a wasted opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    College football coaches are notoriously paranoid. Loose lips, ships and all that.

Until a few years ago the ACC released injury reports on Thursday. The coaches voted to eliminate them. My understanding is that Cut and Paul Johnson were the two coaches who voted to keep the injury report.

So, don't blame Cut. If he had his druthers, he would be providing these. But he feels like giving out injury information while the opposition keeps that same information secret puts Duke at a competitive disadvantage.
    yeah, by and large they became a joke anyway, misleading or outright wrong in many cases...Duke's and everyone else's all suffered from the same strain of paranoia...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Can the offense score points? That is the big question for today.

After scoring 30+ points, in five consecutive games, Duke has not scored more than 17 points in three straight losses.

Successfully passing the ball will be required. No turnovers.

My confidence in the defense remains high. The offense has to step up.
    Indeed; it seems more often than not that as Duke football fans, we're continually grumbling that the offense needs to step up and contribute more as the defense is doing their share and more. As the saying goes, it is what it is - although if the situation doesn't change next season or so, something needs to be done.

However, I'm a true blue Duke fan and nothing will ever change that. Let's right the ship today (apropos for you, Bob), play some sound football (especially on offense), and get a win against Syracuse. Let's go Blue Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Looking forward to watching most of the game -- mirabile dictu, I believe I've found a way to access the ACC Network.
    Fortunately as it turns out I will be able to watch much of the game today myself also...although not in person due to a brother-in-law's birthday get together. Prior to an hour or so ago, I couldn't get the ACCN. We've been a longtime TWC customer (sucker? ) and today I called them and expressed interest in getting the ACCN. I believe it's been discussed on the forum but the rep said I'd need to switch from being a legacy TWC customer to being a Spectrum customer to receive ACCN (she mentioned that my monthly bill might be less also). Sure enough, after a couple of mins or so she reported back that I'm now a Spectrum customer, have access to ACCN, and my monthly bill will be cheaper (a decent amount). Yes, I'm still paying too much for cable but at least I can now watch all the Duke football & basketball games exclusive to the ACCN, and I'm paying less per month than before. I don't know who was more desperate here - TWC/Spectrum trying to keep a customer (happy) with all the other options available these days, or this ACC fan who's trying to watch as many football/basketball games as possible!

Weather is shaping up to be much better than expected...5-10 degrees warmer and minimal or no rain.

Oh wow, judging from that first view on TV, the crowd appears to be abysmal even by Duke standards.