Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Umm, who do you think we would have ended up with? Vandy got one of the better ones available and he has proven that he is not SEC-caliber.
    I know the kid from OU that ended up at WVA hasn’t set the world afire, but he was at least sort of interested, if you believe the whispers. I think I hoped, maybe naively, we could coach the right guy up.

The larger issue is that the cupboard is *this* bare for a man known as a QB guru and mentioned nearly every time Peyton Manning shills insurance.

Our OC and playcalling is awful. Maybe that’s why we don’t have a QB

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    A cursory search suggests this was probably among the largest swings against the spread in college football history.
    The closest I can find is Texas St (+35) defeating Houston by 17 in 2012, for a swing of 52. This game had a swing of 53.

Princeton did beat Virginia 115-0 in 1890. Pretty sure spreads didn't exist back then...

Not sure these excerpts need any more comment:

(Syracuse's) first win against a power-conference team
    Syracuse had only one 100-yard rusher in its first nine games
    Syracuse -- which allows an FBS-worst five sacks per game -- was sacked only once
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401112509

Give the staff one more year, and if they do not improve, can them all, and I mean all. For that kind of money we can demand better..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The closest I can find is Texas St (+35) defeating Houston by 17 in 2012, for a swing of 52. This game had a swing of 53.
    The Duke-Wake game last year had a swing of 62.5.

With apologies to Morrissey

I wish I could laugh
    But that joke isn't funny anymore
    It's too close to home
    And it's too near the bone

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Give the staff one more year, and if they do not improve, can them all, and I mean all. For that kind of money we can demand better..
    This is pretty much right. White won't (and maybe shouldn't) force Cut to make moves, but I think he should encourage Cut to take a hard look at the state of the program and the staff with the understanding that whatever changes are or aren't made next year there will be a serious evaluation at the end of it. I think this is both proper and reasonable.

Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
    ·
    17m

Cutcliffe provided medical update on injured Duke LT Casey Holman: X-rays are negative for any broken bones. Has movement and feeling in arms and legs. Still needs to have MRI but signs are good.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks Chris, that is good news!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
    ·
    17m

Cutcliffe provided medical update on injured Duke LT Casey Holman: X-rays are negative for any broken bones. Has movement and feeling in arms and legs. Still needs to have MRI but signs are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks Chris, that is good news!
    Agreed, was legitimately concerned for him when they carted him off.

Stats shamelessly stolen (again) from the TDD board:

Duke rank among 130 FBS Teams:

Offense:
    Yards per Rush Attempt 99th
    Yards per Pass Attempt 127th
    Yards per Completion 126th
    Yards per Game 114th

Turnovers:
    Giveaways per Game 128th
    Interceptions Thrown per Game 115th
    Fumbles Lost per Game 125th
    Turnover Margin per Game 112th
    For those talking about how much better we are now than we were under Roof, those numbers look pretty Roof-ian don't they? Maybe even sub-Roofian in some cases.

For those talking about how much better we are now than we were under Roof, those numbers look pretty Roof-ian don't they? Maybe even sub-Roofian in some cases.
    These stats cannot be excused only as a failure to execute. Certainly, the coaching staff bears some responsibility.

I"m not sure either Roof or Franks coached two games as awful as the WFU game and tonight's game...inside the span of less than one season's worth of games. Two embarrassing and historic debacles...in the last 11 regular season games. Something has gone very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
    ·
    17m

thank goodness. I heard a lot in the radio tonight in regards to the incident, and all I'll say is i can't imagine watching your child potentially use his or her limbs for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    thank goodness. I heard a lot in the radio tonight in regards to the incident, and all I'll say is i can't imagine watching your child potentially use his or her limbs for the last time.
    The old-timers here surely remember the case of Marc Buoniconti which flashed through my mind as Holman was being stretchered off the field. Marc, son of Miami Dolphins football great Nick Buoniconti was paralyzed while making a tackle for the Citadel. His brother Nick Jr was playing for Duke at the time and I think left the team as a result. Nick completed his degree and and is involved with his brother's foundation the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The old-timers here surely remember the case of Marc Buoniconti which flashed through my mind as Holman was being stretchered off the field. Marc, son of Miami Dolphins football great Nick Buoniconti was paralyzed while making a tackle for the Citadel. His brother Nick Jr was playing for Duke at the time and I think left the team as a result. Nick completed his degree and and is involved with his brother's foundation the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.
    That’s exactly who I thought of as well. Marc was treated at Duke Medical Center iirc after the injury.

Holman's injury status is very good news. Unfortunately, it's about the only good news from today.

Cutcliffe's post-game comments telegraphed what many of us suspected: there won't be any kind of changes. He talked about reviewing film and executing better and hard work. Yawn. He talked about accountability, which is an utterly toothless term at this point.

Harris talked about a penalty here, a missed yardage play there, and about not getting the breaks - as if a winless and hapless ACC team hadn't just wiped our home field with us.

Put differently, next week everyone gets the same game plan from Duke. Wake Forest is going to be thrilled to hear that.

Does that mean we would have a good season? Not a terrible deal, and it's true for virtually every school except for a handful of perennial playoff contenders anyway.

We were paying bargain bin salaries with bargain bin facilities and getting bargain bin results. That is no longer true. Roofs/Frank's years are 100% irrelevant 11 years later. I don't expect 8+ wins year in and year out but what we've got now has to be below expectations, and the trend right now is down not up.
    I'm glad you said it this time and not me. The "we were terrible in the Roof/Franks years" argument is both true and irrelevant right now. School support has improved to competitive levels, but the program is clearly on a downward trajectory whether we choose to recognize that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    Agreed.

Unfortunately, Cutcliffe doesn’t usually fire assistants. Even if he is willing to make moves, he will want to limp through the end of the season so those coaches can find new positions first - which will mean we will get our clocks cleaned for two more weeks, and that we will be hamstrung in our searches by waiting to begin them.

Again, that is if Cutcliffe is willing to do anything, which would shock me. He knows there is a large contingent that will support him no matter what, as recent threads on this board have proven, and he is loyal to his coaches and players to a fault.
    Looking out for his assistants to find new positions is honorable. Like a local sportscaster keeps saying, firing a coach and making him unemployed is not pleasant... or firing anyone and making him/her unemployed is not pleasant...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Totally agree with you. But if he doesn’t do this in the offseason, does Kevin White get involved?

Would hate to see a repeat of the Ole Miss saga, but Cut is paid between $2-3 million a year (I think) and would think AD expects more. We’re not talking about the Alleva years when no one seemed to give a sh**.
    This is pretty much right. White won't (and maybe shouldn't) force Cut to make moves, but I think he should encourage Cut to take a hard look at the state of the program and the staff with the understanding that whatever changes are or aren't made next year there will be a serious evaluation at the end of it. I think this is both proper and reasonable.
    I unfortunately think that Duke is at that crossroad. I totally respect and appreciate Coach Cut. But something is very wrong. I would think AD White sees this too. I also don't want to see the Ole Miss saga here at Duke, but I don't think it is unreasonable at all from AD White to have a discussion with Coach Cut. I still hope for the best...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Looking out for his assistants to find new positions is honorable. Like a local sportscaster keeps saying, firing a coach and making him unemployed is not pleasant... or firing anyone and making him/her unemployed is not pleasant...

I unfortunately think that Duke is at that crossroad. I totally respect and appreciate Coach Cut. But something is very wrong. I would think AD White sees this too. I also don't want to see the Ole Miss saga here at Duke, but I don't think it is unreasonable at all from AD White to have a discussion with Coach Cut. I still hope for the best...
    It is reasonable (to have that discussion). Cut still has an excellent legacy at Duke, but it would be shame for the legacy to dissipate. I'm quite certain White will leave it up to Cut to do what he wants...