Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    More context for our SFA upset, they're the number 1 team in the nation at forcing TOs. They're a good team that I believe will eventually end up in the Kenpom top 100 in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Charles Southern over Missouri tie our SFA game for the biggest upset in the last 15 seasons.
    I suspect it will get just as much coverage as ours.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Charles Southern over Missouri tie our SFA game for the biggest upset in the last 15 seasons.
    Not the first time Duke and Missouri have shared the same misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Wow, tough, tough news for Georgetown. Akinjo and LeBlanc both off the team. That's probably sinking their (otherwise reasonably strong) NCAA chances. No details out there yet as to why.
    I just saw this. Brutal for GTown.

They felt like a good team and one with solid tourney hopes. I was also hoping to hang our hat on that as a reasonably quality win come seeding time, but it looks like that will now fade off into the noise.

- Chillin

I watched a good bit of the Louisville/Michigan match last night. Louisville seemed to be playing an effective Pack-Line defense, which worked well for them as it might against any team that struggles hitting the three. This year the three is further out on the perimeter so the Pack-Line should be even more effective. I wonder how difficult this scheme is to master.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I just saw this. Brutal for GTown.

They felt like a good team and one with solid tourney hopes. I was also hoping to hang our hat on that as a reasonably quality win come seeding time, but it looks like that will now fade off into the noise.

- Chillin
    Well, in the midst of the ACC/Big10 noise tonight, huge win for Georgetown tonight, post-Akinjo/LeBlanc, against a previously undefeated OK State team (#26 in KenPom, even after the loss). McClung with 33 and Yurtseven with 19/9/3. One... interesting, we'll say, note: both Myron Gardner and Galen Alexander, the two non-Josh LeBlanc guys who are having the legal issues, played tonight. I know basically nothing about the situation, but strikes me as, at the very least, not the best look for the program to play those guys given the alleged nature of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    both Myron Gardner and Galen Alexander, the two non-Josh LeBlanc guys who are having the legal issues, played tonight. I know basically nothing about the situation, but strikes me as, at the very least, not the best look for the program to play those guys given the alleged nature of the incident.
    I get "innocent until proven guilty" in a court of law but that does not apply to a University or to the privilege of wearing a college basketball uniform. These players have been accused in a formal police report of sexual assault. Perhaps Georgetown has knowledge of some exculpatory evidence that will show the accuser(s) to be lying but -- at the moment -- this is an exceedingly bad look for the program. It would appear Georgetown values winning games over the safety of the community. I predict that if the assault claims prove to be true, folks are going to lose jobs over this.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Community safety? I'm shocked . . .

Yes, shocked, to learn that a big-time college athletic program might value wins over integrity.

As to the safety of the community, in a narrow sense community safety is unaffected by whether these two play (other than to assume that if they are in attendance at the game, either playing or sitting on the bench, they aren't out and about making mischief). In a broader sense, of course, the decision to continue to play these two is a bad look that sends the wrong message to the community at large. Perhaps in that sense, there is indirect impact on community safety.

Georgetown

Barry Svrluga rips into Georgetown: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...53e_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Barry Svrluga rips into Georgetown: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...53e_story.html
    Do we know anything about why Akinjo is transferring? I think he is very talented. If his situation is totally unrelated to the criminal charges filed against the other 3, it’s a shame he has been caught up in this, whether it was intentional or not. Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    Yes, shocked, to learn that a big-time college athletic program might value wins over integrity.

As to the safety of the community, in a narrow sense community safety is unaffected by whether these two play (other than to assume that if they are in attendance at the game, either playing or sitting on the bench, they aren't out and about making mischief). In a broader sense, of course, the decision to continue to play these two is a bad look that sends the wrong message to the community at large. Perhaps in that sense, there is indirect impact on community safety.
    Um, to whom might you be referring?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Do we know anything about why Akinjo is transferring? I think he is very talented. If his situation is totally unrelated to the criminal charges filed against the other 3, it’s a shame he has been caught up in this, whether it was intentional or not. Good article.
    No one seems to exactly why Akinjo is transferring but it has been clarified by Georgetown (further clarification in Twitter thread from Sam Vecenie) that Akinjo is not in any way involved in the criminal allegations against LeBlanc and others.

Agree that Georgetown screwed up pretty big by lumping the Akinjo transfer news with the LeBlanc transfer/allegations news in the same initial statement (or non-statement)
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Not as far as I know. He just expressed an interest in transferring. No reason given.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Um, to whom might you be referring?
    Same color blue?

I'm watching Boston College beat Notre Dame.

Derryck Thornton looks good. It will be interesting to see how he plays at CIS in a few weeks. Seems like a good kid who may have finally found his game.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Derryck Thornton looks good. It will be interesting to see how he plays at CIS in a few weeks. Seems like a good kid who may have finally found his game.
    Good for him! Hope he doesn’t go too crazy against us, but against the rest of the league have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

I hope the Crazies treat him kindly. I was disappointed when he left, but I don't blame him - he seemed to get some bad advice from family members and he seemed to leave on good terms, even going to the banquet after his announcement.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I hope the Crazies treat him kindly. I was disappointed when he left, but I don't blame him - he seemed to get some bad advice from family members and he seemed to leave on good terms, even going to the banquet after his announcement.
    Derryck probably would prefer a good ribbing. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference. If the Crazies don't do anything and are seemingly oblivious to him having played at Duke before, such that it conjures up feelings that he's a nobody now, that might sting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Derryck probably would prefer a good ribbing. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference. If the Crazies don't do anything and are seemingly oblivious to him having played at Duke before, such that it conjures up feelings that he's a nobody now, that might sting worse.
    The students won't be there. The game is NYE at 6 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post

I seem to remember about 13 years ago a major university cancelled an entire program because of horrendous allegations. If memory serves, the allegations were unfounded and the accused reportedly received multi-million dollar settlements from said university. I don't presume to know what happened with the G'town players, only that "guilty until proven innocent" is not good policy.