Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Other People's NCAA Hoops - 2019-2020

Time for this thread, which I did not see on the list.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Not sure if this is the place, read about Cassius Winstons brother being hit and killed by an Amtrack train. Sad news.

Cassius Winston Loses His Brother

Zachary Winston, a sophomore basketball player at Albion College in Michigan, was hit by a train and killed last night in Albion. Heartfelt condolences to Cassius and the family -- this is really tough. A third brother, Khy, is also a basketball player at Albion. Khy is a freshman.

Sad news.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Even sadder

The Albion Department of Public Safety is saying that Zachary Winston deliberately walked in front of the train. How horrible for him and his family.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...1-2cd65c635008
    Last edited by MChambers; 11-10-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added link

Less important

Northwestern and Chris Collins somehow lost at home to Merrimack, in Merrimack's second game as a Division 1 team. Wow.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The Albion Department of Public Safety is saying that Zachary Winston deliberately walked in front of the train. How horrible for him and his family.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/...1-2cd65c635008
    And the train crew.

Down goes Kentucky! Evansville takes the Cats down in Rupp! Wow. Did NOT see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Down goes Kentucky! Evansville takes the Cats down in Rupp! Wow. Did NOT see that one coming.
    For a bit of cheap entertainment head over to Rupp Rafters (Cats Pause) for the fans’ reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    For a bit of cheap entertainment head over to Rupp Rafters (Cats Pause) for the fans’ reaction.
    My favorite is they "need to play more fast paste."

Lemme know when they start a “should Cal retire?” thread. Until then, our board should not cast stones.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    My favorite is they "need to play more fast paste."
    Current thread titles:

Worst loss in UK history?

Usually Positive, That Was Pathetic

If you're not sick of it, I can't help you.

Swaggy Cal strikes again

Will this game convince Cal to get kids that can score??!!!

Looks like they had to shut the board down. lol

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Lemme know when they start a “should Cal retire?” thread. Until then, our board should not cast stones.
    Let me know when this board has threads even remotely like those....until then......no analogy.

I urge everyone to read the 'fast paste' thread over there. A few great posts.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-13-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: fix link

I watched most of the 2nd half of the Oregon-Memphis game. Oregon was clearly the better team at execution while Memphis is very athletic but undisciplined right now. Wiseman was a bit off after sitting most of the first half with two early fouls. He physically reminds me of Dwight Howard with less post game but more perimeter skill. However, he showed little ability to generate his own offense other than putbacks and did not have much of an impact on defense. You can see why the NBA covets him but I was not overly impressed. Boogie Ellis hit a nice 3 early in the half and then basically disappeared after getting a dunk attempt pinned to the backboard/rim. Based on this one game, I’m glad we have Stanley - however, we might need Boogies shooting at some point.

I don’t see an AP poll thread so I guess I’ll ask this here. We are going to take over the #1 spot next week, barring a shocking upset to Georgia State. Many of us feel undeserving of that ranking based on what we have seen from our team. Who does everyone think the #1 team *should* be? Not based on actual results or win/loss record, but who you think the best team is? In other words, if the tournament were to be played today, who would be your pick to win it?

Although I’d prefer our team not have the pressure of being #1, there is not a team that deserves it more. Unless you subscribe to the defending champ should be #1 till it loses philosophy...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don’t see an AP poll thread so I guess I’ll ask this here. We are going to take over the #1 spot next week, barring a shocking upset to Georgia State. Many of us feel undeserving of that ranking based on what we have seen from our team. Who does everyone think the #1 team *should* be? Not based on actual results or win/loss record, but who you think the best team is? In other words, if the tournament were to be played today, who would be your pick to win it?
    That is a hard question... Especially this year, because I haven't seen anyone play yet that is head and shoulders above the rest. I mean, I could say Virginia. They have only given up 68 points through 2 games. But they played Syracuse ( how good are they?) and JMU. Not exactly murders row, but still impressive defense.

I could also say Louisville. But again, who have they played and would I be buying into the hype that has somewhat surrounded them thus far.

Finally, I could say Duke. An impressive win over Kansas where they played excellent defense on a neutral court and two blowout wins against lesser opponents. But is that enough of a sample size for me to tell you definitively they should be number 1? No.

Rankings in November is a useless exercise. I really don't think they should be done until January because that's when a majority really starts paying attention to college basketball.

I guess I’ll say Duke because I can’t pick a team who I think would beat us.

I think this feeling of, How can we be #1?, is two things. One is a bit of a hangover effect of not having superstars Zion or RJ. And two is seeing our defense ahead of our offense as much as it is.

The offense will develop and even seemed to take a step forward last night. There’s a pretty high ceiling and I just love the fact that we can wear down teams playing pressure D at the same level for 40 minutes. Haven’t had that with a Duke team since when?

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I urge everyone to read the 'fast paste' thread over there. A few great posts.
    "Fast paste" has potential -- could it be the new "amphibious?"

And the OP repeated the spelling in his rejoinder to the critics.
    Sage Grouse