Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Rescuing this thread from page 2 with:
    Penn State 76
    Maryland 69

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Rescuing this thread from page 2 with:
    Penn State 76
    Maryland 69

With every "way too early top 25" that came out for this year, I was thinking two things:

1) Louisville? OK, but...really?
    2) Maryland? OK, but...really?

The day of my vindication has come.

I think it is now Ohio State's turn to be the hunted.

-Jason "they play Kentucky in 10 days..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think it is now Ohio State's turn to be the hunted.

-Jason "they play Kentucky in 10 days..." Evans
    Agreed, despite Kansas currently being ahead in the polls it has to be Ohio State you would think as an undefeated team with better wins.

Late in Illinois' upset win over Michigan, freshman center Kofi Cockburn celebrated an and-1 a little too enthusiastically and struck referee Lewis Garrison:

Garrison missed the remainder of the game, leaving only two officials to call the final minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Late in Illinois' upset win over Michigan, freshman center Kofi Cockburn celebrated an and-1 a little too enthusiastically and struck referee Lewis Garrison:

Garrison missed the remainder of the game, leaving only two officials to call the final minutes.

COLD COCKburn

Surprised Duke moved down 2 from 7th to 9th despite two teams ahead losing and Kansas having been beaten by Duke. Our two last wins were road games as well and the opponents weren't chopped liver like Farleigh Dickenson for instance. It won't matter in the long run but it does smell of some pretty poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Surprised Duke moved down 2 from 7th to 9th despite two teams ahead losing and Kansas having been beaten by Duke. Our two last wins were road games as well and the opponents weren't chopped liver like Farleigh Dickenson for instance. It won't matter in the long run but it does smell of some pretty poor judgment.
    Where do you see Duke ranked 9th? In the most recent polls, after beating Michigan State and Virginia Tech on their respective home courts last week, Duke moved up from 10th to 7th in the AP Poll, and from 8th to 5th in the Coaches' Poll. With this week's losses by Louisville, Maryland, and Michigan, I would expect Duke to move up another 2 or 3 notches when those polls are updated early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Where do you see Duke ranked 9th? In the most recent polls, after beating Michigan State and Virginia Tech on their respective home courts last week, Duke moved up from 10th to 7th in the AP Poll, and from 8th to 5th in the Coaches' Poll. With this week's losses by Louisville, Maryland, and Michigan, I would expect Duke to move up another 2 or 3 notches when those polls are updated early next week.
    Duke is also #1 in ESPN's BPI, #2 in KenPom, #2 in the Massey composite, and #5 in TRank... so the computers loooove us.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My guess is the person saw the CBS Sportsline poll which still has Duke 9th

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    My guess is the person saw the CBS Sportsline poll which still has Duke 9th
    Okay. That "poll" -- which appears to be nothing more than Gary Parrish's personal rating -- seems like an outlier, which might explain why it's not ordinarily on my radar.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/

Okay. That "poll" -- which appears to be nothing more than Gary Parrish's personal rating -- seems like an outlier, which might explain why it's not ordinarily on my radar.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/
    But where does Lunardi have us?

{ducks}

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Duke is also #1 in ESPN's BPI, #2 in KenPom, #2 in the Massey composite, and #5 in TRank... so the computers loooove us.
    At #34, I also note who the computers DON'T like.

Should have icluded the link.

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/cb...ll-top-25-poll

Here is the link to Gary Parrish’s full Top 25+1 rankings:
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...to-texas-tech/

It shows no movement for Duke, so Parrish must have had them ranked 9th in his previous poll.

Indeed, if you look at his archive, he updates his poll several times a week. That poll above isn’t even his most recent; he has since moved Michigan down after their loss to Illinois.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow...Congrats to Wake! Huge win over a ranked Xavier! ACC!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wither the #1 team?

This is officially the "no one is any good" season of college basketball. After Lousiville lost last week, everyone started talking about how great Ohio State was. I listened to multiple podcasts where they were anointing the Buckeyes as the clear #1 team in the land. They were super experienced and playing great D (and we all know that D never takes a night off). They were Kenpom's #1 team by a fairly wide margin. If you listened to the pundits, it was a crime that Ohio State was ever outside of the top 10.

Well, today OSU lost to Minnesota by 13 points, 84-71. OSU trailed throughout the contest. The final margin wasn't swelled by late free throws, Minnesota led by double digits the entire second half. And I should be clear about something, this wasn't some coming out party for an overlooked Minnesota team. The Golden Gophers were 4-5 coming into this game. Their losses are all respectable (Oklahoma, Butler, Utah, Depaul, and Iowa) but this was still a team with 5 losses already... this team was ranked #74 in KenPom coming into this game.

So, who is the #1 team in the land? I dunno. KenPom will probably still list the Buckeyes with Duke #2. The polls are likely to elevate Kansas, though their neutral court loss to the Blue Devils would argue against them being ranked higher than Duke. Also, Kansas' best win is an OT victory over Dayton. I know Dayton is pretty good this year, but I sorta feel like you need to beat one of the best to lay claim to being the best.

To me, the bottom line right now is that there is no #1 team... at least not in the traditional sense of a great team that can be counted on to beat all but the best competition. There are several teams that are really good, but I don't think anyone is great this season.

I kind of wish OSU had been ranked #1 this week, just so they could have been the fourth #1 team to lose to an unranked team this season (is that right?)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I kind of wish OSU had been ranked #1 this week, just so they could have been the fourth #1 team to lose to an unranked team this season (is that right?)
    But then Louisville’s loss wouldn’t have counted, so it still would have been 3. Both teams lost this week and only one of them could be #1 (I guess, technically, there could have been a tie, but that scenario seems extraordinarily unlikely).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Not sure if this has been noted, but with all the upsets in the Bigger whatever, if Northwestern upsets Mich St tomorrow, they'll have a 14-way tie, with everyone 1-1.

Go Chris!

-jk