Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 322
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsforlife View Post
    Latina was a huge loss. We also lost Montgomery, who was a much more effective OC than Zac Roper, after 2015. We moved the ball better with Thomas Sirk than we did with top 10 pick Daniel Jones for most of his Duke career. Montgomery's work developing the WRs was also very good.
    I agree with everything but the Montgomery as OC issue. I think he reached his peter principle level as WR coach. OC and HC are beyond him, at least to this point, in his career.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I agree with everything but the Montgomery as OC issue. I think he reached his peter principle level as WR coach. OC and HC are beyond him, at least to this point, in his career.
    I didn't love Scottie as OC, and definitely wouldn't want him at HC, but his offenses were far more productive than Roper's have been for the last 4 years.
       

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsforlife View Post
    I didn't love Scottie as OC, and definitely wouldn't want him at HC, but his offenses were far more productive than Roper's have been for the last 4 years.
    Agreed. Scottie took his lumps as a new OC, but I think he had the makings of a potentially solid one. He was certainly in over his head at HC, although maybe he'd be ready for another shot down the road.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You must be skimming the comments pretty quickly, because I have yet to see A SINGLE POSTER showing a lack of appreciation for what Cut has done...and while I stated on both forums that I am against a hot seat assumption or a retirement, I must point out that almost everybody agrees on what Cut has accomplished. There is one partial, very partial, naysayer on that front, but nothing for you to get "disheartened" over. Go re read. You'll see there is universal, or almost universal, love for Cut, but some disagreement on how to move forward. In fact I wouldn't even call it disagreement so much as asking a few uncomfortable questions. If we can't do that, why have a forum.




    I worried about this at the time...I mean, immediately...I wondered if that event popped the bubble of the 2013 high. When we got a break on officiating on Indiana's FG in the Pinstripe Bowl...that FG...I thought maybe we cancelled the Miami curse. But you bring up a very valid concern.
    I don't think we got a break on the officiating. Never saw an angle on TV that was anywhere near as good as the refs'. I thought it was not good. Just because Indiana folks bitched doesn't mean they were correct, just hoping.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I don't think we got a break on the officiating. Never saw an angle on TV that was anywhere near as good as the refs'. I thought it was not good. Just because Indiana folks bitched doesn't mean they were correct, just hoping.
    I believe you are right...they continually showed a TV perspective which was not at all what the refs had...

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I don't think we got a break on the officiating. Never saw an angle on TV that was anywhere near as good as the refs'. I thought it was not good. Just because Indiana folks bitched doesn't mean they were correct, just hoping.
    Well, I was watching through Duke Blue Glasses, and I thought we got a break. One of the TV announcers said so, then said after the Miami game, Duke was due that break. But back to the other guys point...was the Miami game an inflection point of no return for Cut's Duke teams? Maybe. I sensed one of those "disturbances in the force" as a result. Under that same theory, was the 59-7 WF game the death knell?
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Just because Indiana folks bitched doesn't mean they were correct, just hoping.
    Years ago, I was watching a baseball game on TV and the announcer was discussing a conversation he had had with a MLB Umpire. Announcer said he asked about the “tie goes to the runner” situation to which the umpire replied, “there is no such thing as a tie the runner is either safe or out depending upon what I call.”

    That FG was no good.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Broad Creek, NC

    Cutcliffe for President!

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    After seeing this question in a forum header for the second time in three weeks, I cannot help but think that the intent behind the OPs was to really ask "Is it time for Cut to be forced out?" Because nobody can realistically think that his retirement decision is in any way guided by opinion on this board.

    Broken record, but it bears saying again: Cutcliffe has a lifetime pass from me for the service he has provided to Duke. He has earned the right to retire on HIS decision, not that of an over-zealous fan group. Critique his performance? Fine, that is what any coach signs up for. But this particular discussion is pointless, not to mention absurd.
    I agree totally. 3 winning seasons in the previous 1/4 century....taken the laughing stock of college football and made the Devils relevant again. Kids can see a path to the NFL through Duke. Great face of the university. Can't believe that this is a serious conversation.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    After seeing this question in a forum header for the second time in three weeks, I cannot help but think that the intent behind the OPs was to really ask "Is it time for Cut to be forced out?" Because nobody can realistically think that his retirement decision is in any way guided by opinion on this board.

    Broken record, but it bears saying again: Cutcliffe has a lifetime pass from me for the service he has provided to Duke. He has earned the right to retire on HIS decision, not that of an over-zealous fan group. Critique his performance? Fine, that is what any coach signs up for. But this particular discussion is pointless, not to mention absurd.
    Since I have known the OP for many years, and know him to be a very precise individual, I believe that you are wrong. He said precisely what he meant. I'm sure he also knows full well that Cutcliffe won't be forced out, that much should be obvious to all Duke fans.

    In 2013 Duke went 6-2 in the conference, then 5-3 in 2014 and 4-4 in 2015. Since then, we are 9-20 in the conference. On the Devils Den Premium Football board (best site for Duke football fans IMO) I would say the consensus is that the offense needs fixing in the worst kind of way, people would love to see a change in OC and OL coaches, and only a modest minority want to see Cut gone...in short, very few want to see Cut fired, and almost everyone agrees that's not going to happen anyway. so he'll get to retire when he wants to.
    I also love Cut for what he has done, but I don't think that gives him a lifetime pass from criticism (of the non-firing kind).

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    6 miles from Heaven, 10 miles from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I don't think we got a break on the officiating. Never saw an angle on TV that was anywhere near as good as the refs'. I thought it was not good. Just because Indiana folks bitched doesn't mean they were correct, just hoping.
    My angle was from the end zone. It was the correct call. Didn't know making the correct call is "getting a break on officiating." Getting a break is when an incorrect call goes your way.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by carteretdevil View Post
    Can't believe that this is a serious conversation.
    It is not.

    The serious Duke football fans do not want to see Coach Cutcliffe forced out. Personally, I think a statue of Cutcliffe should be erected at the stadium entrance.

    The gist of the conversation is an upgrade at several assistant coach positions is due, overdue actually.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is not.

    The serious Duke football fans do not want to see Coach Cutcliffe forced out. Personally, I think a statue of Cutcliffe should be erected at the stadium entrance.

    The gist of the conversation is an upgrade at several assistant coach positions is due, overdue actually.
    Absolutely right Bob, and that was the perspective of the OP as well, despite the attempts of people to distort what he said.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is not.

    The serious Duke football fans do not want to see Coach Cutcliffe forced out. Personally, I think a statue of Cutcliffe should be erected at the stadium entrance.

    The gist of the conversation is an upgrade at several assistant coach positions is due, overdue actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Absolutely right Bob, and that was the perspective of the OP as well, despite the attempts of people to distort what he said.
    I think one thing that impacts the tone of this discussion is that some (many?) people assume (with some reasonable basis) that these things won't be done. Maybe for OL, but I would be shocked if Zac Roper isn't the offensive coordinator for at least the next year. If I were placing a bet I would bet he is the OC until Cut retires unless he moves to OC at another power 5 program or HC at any D1 program.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think one thing that impacts the tone of this discussion is that some (many?) people assume (with some reasonable basis) that these things won't be done. Maybe for OL, but I would be shocked if Zac Roper isn't the offensive coordinator for at least the next year. If I were placing a bet I would bet he is the OC until Cut retires unless he moves to OC at another power 5 program or HC at any D1 program.
    That's fair. But while on one hand Cut shows great loyalty to his assistants, he also is serious about "competing for championships," and I have troubling reconciling those two things right now.
    I guess I'm with you, if I had to bet, I'd say Roper and Bridge stay...but I'd also guess that the decline will continue.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That's fair. But while on one hand Cut shows great loyalty to his assistants, he also is serious about "competing for championships," and I have troubling reconciling those two things right now.
    I guess I'm with you, if I had to bet, I'd say Roper and Bridge stay...but I'd also guess that the decline will continue.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Bridge gone, or reassigned. The loyalty has tended to be much stronger for the coordinators than the position coaches, we have definitely seen a bit of turnover on both lines.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Bridge gone, or reassigned. The loyalty has tended to be much stronger for the coordinators than the position coaches, we have definitely seen a bit of turnover on both lines.
    It is also true (a complicating factor?) that Roper essentially runs Cut's offensive scheme...it is not at all clear to me that replacing him would change that dynamic.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well, I was watching through Duke Blue Glasses, and I thought we got a break. One of the TV announcers said so, then said after the Miami game, Duke was due that break. But back to the other guys point...was the Miami game an inflection point of no return for Cut's Duke teams? Maybe. I sensed one of those "disturbances in the force" as a result. Under that same theory, was the 59-7 WF game the death knell?
    I just watched again. The angle shown on the "live" shot of the field goal is almost perfect. The ball seems at first to be headed inside the goal post. By the time it reaches the post, it clearly is outside the post, maybe by a foot or more. The ball is well outside the post as it comes down. The angle shown second is from the middle of the posts near ground level and really shows nothing other than the ball is above the post somewhere. Here it is:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18N3UHvVqTY

    I rest my case.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It is also true (a complicating factor?) that Roper essentially runs Cut's offensive scheme...it is not at all clear to me that replacing him would change that dynamic.
    That is one of the other concerns/criticisms that comes up when talking about replacing the OC. Even if we do it, which might give us someone better at preparing the offense and calling plays, we'll still be running the same fairly uninspiring/unexciting offense (although it has produced positive results when run well and with the appropriate talent on that side of the ball).

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Broad Creek, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Absolutely right Bob, and that was the perspective of the OP as well, despite the attempts of people to distort what he said.
    Thanks for the clarity guys. Must be Monday that obscured the satire for me

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If I were placing a bet I would bet he is the OC until Cut retires unless he moves to OC at another power 5 program or HC at any D1 program.
    I agree with you 100 percent. All serious Duke football fans know Cutcliffe was fired at Ole Miss because he refused to voluntarily make changes to his staff.

    Kirk Roper left Duke for greener pastures and has been fired since. He is currently QB Coach at N.C. State where his seat is probably getting hot.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

Similar Threads

  1. Bob Harris to retire
    By diablesseblu in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-10-2017, 01:10 PM
  2. Texas AD to Retire
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM
  3. Favre to retire?
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
  4. Retire Scheyer?
    By buckshot in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 424
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
  5. Jay Heaps to Retire
    By tbyers11 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •