Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I've never seen/heard of that DFH brew before. Care to elaborate?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Duke considered dropping down in football in the late 1960s, early 1970s although I do not think it was ever a strong option. But a lot of the younger faculty members were infatuated with the idea.

But that ship sailed, floundered and sank decades ago. Duke has spent a boatload of money to upgrade its infrastructure and they didn't do that to play Dartmouth. And even when Duke doesn't go bowling they still get a big chunk of change from the schools that do.

Duke is a founding member of the ACC. Unless the current system completely implodes--and I don't think we can absolutely rule that out--I cannot imagine Duke dropping out of the ACC.

I respect that there are certain coaches better suited to taking a program from awful to good than from good to great, and I think this thread/conversation is fine, as was its precursor.

Keep in mind, though -- what are the odds that Duke football can attract the kind of coaching talent it takes to go from good to great? It's far more likely we would attract the kind of talent that reverts us back to being awful. (Especially if it's nationally perceived that we were unfair to the guy who turned around the program, which stands a good chance of being the case if we forced Cut out.) Thus, let's play it out with Cut and see if he can take the next step. If it's 5-10 more years of going to bowl games most of the time, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I've never seen/heard of that DFH brew before. Care to elaborate?
    It's not available in Chapel Hill.

90% chance that the next major change in the Athletic Department will be Dr. White's retirement. He's 69 years old, and his legacy is set by hiring Pollard and building facilities. He has the slowest trigger finger on Earth--good or bad. The next AD gets to do the big hiring--K, Cut, Dino, and hopefully not Pollard before age 70--unless someone just is too burned out to continue. This is analysis and not a call for anyone's paycheck.

I am equally frustrated by the last 3 games, but we're still right on pace for 5-7 that I said at the beginning of the season. It's easy to forget how much of an outlier that VT was in our favor (but noted above), and we knew that we probably traded a G5 bowl by postponing a series with Tulane for the exposure of the AL game. I'm not sure we would have beaten Tulane at home in September. They are now a mid-level AAC team compared to when we first caught them in 2011.
    Last edited by duke2x; 11-10-2019 at 09:26 PM.

The answer is 'no'.

Then I got to wondering how the answer to this question would shape up if we grouped based on age, or years at Duke, or some other time-based wrinkle. I'd be interested in a poll that asked, "It it time for Cut to retire?", then asked your age. Personally, I have tremendous admiration for Coach Cut because I don't see him as moving a bad program to an okay program, I see him as having restored credibility to college's worst...WORST...football program. He completely transformed our culture from the bottom of the barrel, laughingstock to respectability. Cultural transformation is different than adding a few wins and for that, Cut has my support. Sure, there's a point where he potentially could lose my faith but he's nowhere near that. And, if you're a Duke fan who has weathered certain periods,then you should understand why Cut has earned our loyalty.

I mean, we have a "Duke in the NFL" thread and a "Daniel Jones Deserves His Own Thread". Those (mostly) don't exist without Cut...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Moreover, the ACC is very beneficial to Duke athletics and athletes. It is very strong in hoops and many, many of the so-called Olympic sports. The economics help pay for our very expensive sports program.
    Sage, not meaning any disrespect, but I very pointedly said I would like Duke to leave the ACC only in football. I’m totally fine with every other sport staying in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Sage, not meaning any disrespect, but I very pointedly said I would like Duke to leave the ACC only in football. I’m totally fine with every other sport staying in the ACC.
    And it’s been explained many times why that would be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    And it’s been explained many times why that would be impossible.
    Obviously I know it isn’t going to happen, at least not anytime soon. I knew that from the moment I posted. Just because I said I’ve long “hoped and dreamed” it would happen does not in any way mean that I think it will. So, no explanation — which you say has been offered many times — was asked for or wanted.

As for Coach David Cutcliffe, I’m perfectly fine with him as Duke’s head coach. He’s a smart, tough, classy representative of the university who commands great respect. He has mine.

my point isn't relevant and I'm not a Duke fan just a durham resident so I am not going to weigh in on an intramural dispute. I admire Cutcliffe and what he has done but when things stagnate, you have to change, even if that doesn't mean changing the head coach necessarily.

No. Not time. He has earned the right to set his own time.

Actually, I thought I was addressing your pessimism about Duke football and questioning some of the alternatives to ACC play.

A main point is that the ACC requires members to participate in football. Moreover, a down-graded football program, outside of the ACC, would have virtually no revenue and still have sizable expenses.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Actually, I thought I was addressing your pessimism about Duke football and questioning some of the alternatives to ACC play.

A main point is that the ACC requires members to participate in football. Moreover, a down-graded football program, outside of the ACC, would have virtually no revenue and still have sizable expenses.
    Also - the shared TV revenue pays a lot of bills in Athletics. Without that Duke would be pouring in significantly more than the 15M university subsidy. Duke cannot continue to play football and leave the ACC for financial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    How does 0-30 plus 0-24 = 6-66?
    I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

Franks' and Roof's combined overall record was (and is) 6-66 in ACC games. Each coach won three ACC games, all at the beginning of their tenure.

After going 3-5 in his first season of 1999, Franks' never won another ACC game, going 0-8 for three years and 0-4 before being fired mid-season in 2002. His conference losing streak was only(!) 29 games, not 30.

Roof actually won two ACC games at the end of the 2002 season, over Georgia Tech and Carolina. In his four full seasons afterwards, he was 1-7 (Clemson) and then 0-8 for his last three seasons. He actually lost 25 ACC games in a row, counting the Carolina loss at the end of the 2003 season.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'OTOH, in my tenure at Duke we were 21-6 in ACC games, winning multiple championships -- and the old-timers from the 1930's and early 40's were grousing about how the team was not nearly as good as in the past'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I am aware I’m chiming in on a family discussion at which I’m a tolerated guest but . . .

Guys, be happy with your coach.

At Virginia we pushed out a wonderful coach - George Welsh - earlier than he wanted. He’d taken us from embarrassment to regular bowl appearances and parity with our rival, but his (in retrospect masterful) management of boosters and admissions standards wasn’t getting us the players or the records we’d begun to believe we deserved.

And then began dark, dark years for our program. Mendenhall has us back on an upswing, but the London and Groh years cost the program a great deal.

My apologies if this has been brought up before (because I'm not going to read through the posts), but wasn't this thread shut down just two weeks ago?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ight=cutcliffe

And this one has gone 56 posts too many.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    My apologies if this has been brought up before (because I'm not going to read through the posts), but wasn't this thread shut down just two weeks ago?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ight=cutcliffe
    Not really...a "hot seat" issue is relate to being fired...potentially...the genesis of this thread is voluntary retirement (not forced retirement) so the tenor of the two original posts are quite different. But I would agree that most posters have treated both the same, which is a shame.

I don't think Cut is or should be on the hot seat, nor do I think he should retire, but I think it' chilling that so many don't even want the notions discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not really...a "hot seat" issue is relate to being fired...potentially...the genesis of this thread is voluntary retirement (not forced retirement) so the tenor of the two original posts are quite different. But I would agree that most posters have treated both the same, which is a shame.

I don't think Cut is or should be on the hot seat, nor do I think he should retire, but I think it' chilling that so many don't even want the notions discussed.
    Correct. Don't run from a thread because you have an undying loyalty to the subject being discussed. I do not want Cut to go, heck, he is the best coach we have had in decades. He has a winning record against UNC, who can recruit anybody that plays the sport.We all know we can't. He has victories over Miami and Virginia Tech, Northwestern.
    But there are obvious issues there in his staff that require addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    But there are obvious issues there in his staff that require addressing.
    Then you start a thread discussing his staff and in particular those positions viewed as deficient. Not a thread suggesting that he has done all he can do, resign ourselves to nothing more and that his presence renders the whole situation as hopeless.

" There’s no reason for anyone to have much hope for even an eight win season any year in the future."

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The gist of the OP was that our program is “dead in the water” so it might be best if Cut skulked off now before bringing further futile ignominy. I respectfully disagree that it is really “quite different” than the other thread. They are different mechanisms to the same (misguided) end IMO.