Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Duke is going to have a hard time replacing Cut after he retires
    I'm a Cutcliffe supporter. I also realize that sometimes when you let go of Mr. Roper, you wind up with Mr. Furley (ancient Three's Company sitcom reference). But, I don't believe this argument.

Yes, the job search will have Duke-specific criteria and there's no guarantee Duke FB will remain at its current level. However, this is a Power-5 team in a winnable conference division and relatively low expectations. I suspect there are plenty of coaches and assistants who would like the chance to try their hand for a couple $million per year.

There are certainly many parts to coaching. So, when this line of response comes up, I'd like to know specifically what people think will be tough to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    They have significantly underinvested in facilities, coaching, etc. Does consistent performance lead to facilities upgrades or do upgrades lead to better performance? That along with a coach who appears to be tone deaf has many in the fanbase wondering if he is the right person at the helm.
    Unless Vandy builds its facilities in a Skywalk, I'm not sure where they can on that campus. It's a nice place, but it reminds me of Midway Airport.

I'm not a facilities guy, but I don't think it is a chicken-egg problem.

Step 1: Fund and plan the facility in full.
    Step 2: Sell the elite coach with the plan to build it. If you don't have an elite coach, go back to step 1.
    Step 3: Have the elite coach sell the new facility to new recruits.
    Step 4: Wash, rinse, repeat every 7 years.

I say Cut is smart enough to see what the problems are. When your OC is repeatedly calling plays that a 13 year old Junior High linebacker can see coming with his eyes closed, and your DC calls a soft set that allows Pitt to march the length of the field in four plays to beat you, then it's time to look around and address the issues.
    The main issues are:
    Offensive line play.
    Poor play calling.

Secondary.

The defensive line and line backers usually do quite well, but stay on the field too much and are worn out by the 4th quarter.
    The dbs never look back to track the ball, and are beaten time and time again.

Cut has been remarkable in bringing Duke back. There's no doubt. But I do not want to go through this debate next season. Fix the issues. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Fix the issues. Simple as that.
    If it was simple, the issues would already be fixed. I suspect it is complicated.
    Bob Green

1. Collect underpants.

2. ???????

3. Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    1. Throw bubble screens.

2. ???????

3. Profit!
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    FIFY
    This made me chortle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    If it was simple, the issues would already be fixed. I suspect it is complicated.
    One of Cutcliffe's most admirable attributes - and the one that might well be why he's still here and in Tennessee - is his loyalty. Unfortunately, that's a big part of what is wrong with the team at this point. He's stuck with his family of staff, even though they don't appear to be getting the job done.

There is plenty of talent on the roster. But some of the coordinators and position coaches aren't ACC caliber, and that has led to the decline. It appears that Daniel Jones was able to mask some of those issues the last couple of years.

But when you build a family environment, it's hard to make tough decisions to sever ties with family.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    One of Cutcliffe's most admirable attributes - and the one that might well be why he's still here and in Tennessee - is his loyalty. Unfortunately, that's a big part of what is wrong with the team at this point. He's stuck with his family of staff, even though they don't appear to be getting the job done.

There is plenty of talent on the roster. But some of the coordinators and position coaches aren't ACC caliber, and that has led to the decline. It appears that Daniel Jones was able to mask some of those issues the last couple of years.

But when you build a family environment, it's hard to make tough decisions to sever ties with family.
    This gives you a little appreciation for what Saban has been able to do at Alabama. His OCs and DCs leave practically on a yearly basis to take head coaching jobs somewhere else. He replaces them (usually with pretty good coaches) and somehow gets everyone on the same page for the next season. Granted, he's playing every year with the best players but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Glaring issues like these can be addressed. If the issues weren't so obvious then I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Glaring issues like these can be addressed. If the issues weren't so obvious then I would agree.
    I certainly agree with your overall point, there are issues which need to be addressed. As for the solution being simple, reasonable minds can disagree. Group dynamics are rarely simple.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

What do we know what the assistant coaches contracts? Could that play a factor in why they are still here/may not go? I am assuming he can say who he wants and doesn't want but someone has to chime in regarding pay/benefits.

Don't be a Tennessee

Remember how we managed to get Coach Cut in the first place. Look what happened to Tennessee (or NC in basketball).

While we are venting frustrations with the football program, I’m still angry the way they handled that “Miami” loss. They should have counted it as a win the way that teams made up national championships from the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    What do we know what the assistant coaches contracts? Could that play a factor in why they are still here/may not go? I am assuming he can say who he wants and doesn't want but someone has to chime in regarding pay/benefits.
    It used to be pretty standard that only the head coach had a guaranteed contract. Not sure if that's rule of thumb now.

As I read so many comments in this thread and others related to Coach Cutcliffe, recent games, next season, etc. , I wonder what my friend Bill Brill would have to say. I’m sure he would have recognized the problems, but also he would have supported a program he loved. Bill wasn’t just a good sportswriter. Bill was a Duke graduate who loved his alma mater and he loved Duke football.

I understand the frustrations this season has brought. I’ve experienced them, too. I love this team, and know many of the players and their parents well, but I also know my own identity is separate from that of the team. Watching this team play isn’t just entertainment for me. It’s like watching my own kids play. If the other team has more talent, I still support my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    As I read so many comments in this thread and others related to Coach Cutcliffe, recent games, next season, etc. , I wonder what my friend Bill Brill would have to say. I’m sure he would have recognized the problems, but also he would have supported a program he loved. Bill wasn’t just a good sportswriter. Bill was a Duke graduate who loved his alma mater and he loved Duke football.

I understand the frustrations this season has brought. I’ve experienced them, too. I love this team, and know many of the players and their parents well, but I also know my own identity is separate from that of the team. Watching this team play isn’t just entertainment for me. It’s like watching my own kids play. If the other team has more talent, I still support my kids.
    99.99% of fans are not in your situation. You are too close to relate to the average fan, with all due respect. And I also kind of resent the implication that questioning the coaching is somehow "NOT" supporting the school and the team. That's a totally wrong assumption.

This is an interesting post and fits well with FCS football, maybe similar to those FCS teams in the Big East. Duke might be a good fit in the Big East if they want to de-emphasize sports, but try to remain relevant in B-ball. However, I doubt Cut would take a salary cut from $2.6 million to maybe $100K.

Wholly agree.

I only met Bill once, at your tent before a game. He had a huge “9F” pin. As if I needed more reason to like him . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wholly agree.
    This is at least part of the reason I direct most of my frustration at the coaches, who are responsible for training and preparing the players. I will discuss team weaknesses or units that are underperforming when discussing the team, though, and I don't think that doing so is mutually exclusive from fully supporting and appreciating the players on the squad. Remember, nobody (well, I'm sure you can find someone somewhere, but you know what I mean) is advocating pulling scholarships from any players. Any changes suggested, requested, or proposed are in the coaching ranks, which I think is different.