Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I hope this has been said, but I'll say it. I believe anyone with a sense of history and reality would realize that Duke is lucky, absolutely lucky, to have Cutcliffe as coach, as well as the seasons he has produced. Other than brief - very brief - moments of success in the past half century, Duke has really just been awful in football. Worse than awful, at times Duke has been the college football laughingstock. He has resurrected this program, made it competitive, produced NFL players, gone to multiple bowl games (and won), and has ran the program with dignity and class. Armchair quarterbacks can always find fault with a coach (woulda/shoulda/coulda). It's true - maybe Duke could have a won a game more here and there. But overall? He's been a resounding success. Any notion to push him out the door is absolutely crazy. Given Duke's history with football, we should make a statue of the man.

And btw, who would people replace him with? And what's the guarantee that Duke would be better without resorting to cheating? Duke plays in a conference with schools that have lower academic standards, more money, more expectations and more undergraduates (and they cheat). I'll take being competitive in the ACC with Cutcliffe, playing with honor and maybe finding lightning in a bottle one season than to push him out for another guy, risking the start of another 50 years of Duke football embarrassment.

9F

This should have been the last post in this thread. Cut should have a statue built out front pre-humously (is that a word?).

For anyone complaining about Cut, please cut a check to the scholarship fund as penance.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If we go 4-8 this year, for the second time in four years, a lot of that will have returned. As it is, students don't care most of the time.

BTW, I now think 4-8 is likely. After Pitt, I thought it was possible. After NC, I thought even more so. After not even putting up a fight with ND, I think very likely. So so so so so hope to be wrong.
    Haven't we had a discussion about student apathy and basketball - the student section has shrunk due to low student turnout over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Haven't we had a discussion about student apathy and basketball - the student section has shrunk due to low student turnout over the years?
    yes, that's a factor in basketball too...but not to the extent of FB. I think there are other factors at play there....

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Thank you for sharing a perspective which is similar to mine. I am so thankful that Duke no longer has the longest active losing streak in Division I, but instead is relevant and competitive again.

The comments about age make me think of stereotypes applied to support an idea which otherwise lacks merit. Coach Cutcliffe's appearance hasn't driven away recruits. If anything, he has a presence which attracts many.

Filling the stadium is an ongoing challenge facing many colleges and other programs. We've had numerous discussions of that very issue on this forum. It's not an issue specific to Duke.

Despite my age, I plan to be in the stadium this Saturday supporting my team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'm with you on this. I remember when students, deans and others publicly made fun of their own team and players. Don't want to go back there ever again.
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Devil in the Blue Dress again.”

Can someone do me a solid? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Devil in the Blue Dress again.”

Can someone do me a solid? Thanks in advance.
    Got you covered

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Got you covered
    You and DinK are my kind of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    A thin face is the main cause of looking older as being slender causes a loss of volume in the face. The older we get, the more the face gets depleted. When you lose weight, facial depletion is enhanced and the appearance of aging is accelerated. A bit of a rounder, chubbier face once you are in your 50’s or older actually makes you appear to look younger.
    Very interesting. I was going to forgo the after-work beer today, in hopes of starting to trim a bit off the gut. But I was not thinking about how beneficial that beer might be for maintaining a rounder face in the future.

I just hope all those calories go straight to my face!
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Very interesting. I was going to forgo the after-work beer today, in hopes of starting to trim a bit off the gut. But I was not thinking about how beneficial that beer might be for maintaining a rounder face in the future.

Balances perfectly with a 45 minute after dinner walk.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43;1197026[B
    ]I don’t think it’s fair to[/B] compare Coach Cutcliffe to Saban and Carroll —

I don't think Fair has anything to do with this discussion. Fair is not the point. Fair is an elusive notion, and highly subjective. You are right, Saban and Carroll have aged better than the average guy, and so did Spurrier....but that's neither fair nor unfair...it's just a fact that probably helps them in their careers, as it would in many careers.

Ozzie's only a few months older than Cut as he pointed out upthread. I think he's aged well:

220px-George_Clooney_2016.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

This was quite humorous. I laughed out loud when I read it.

Getting back to the original question posed, the simple answer is "No.", while the not so simple answer is...

...still "No", unless Cut wants to, of course, because Duke is extremely lucky to have him, and to have had him as long as we have. The stability he has brought to the program cannot be understated. Before Cut (going all the ways back to Murray, aside from the brief 3-yr run with the "ol' ball coach", of course) we had a revolving door of underwhelming coaches, some who could recruit ok, but couldn't coach, others who could coach ok, but couldn't recruit, and a few who couldn't do either very well. Cut has brought us a consistency that we lacked for a long time. This year has not gone as well as we hoped, but I think we all knew this year could go either way. A few years ago we had a slightly down year, wracked with injuries and inexperience, and we missed a bowl, but the next year, we were right back in a bowl. If we can't win two of the last three games this year, we will (obviously) miss a bowl again, but I believe Cut will have us right back in the hunt next year (for one, our schedule sets up better). We better hope retirement is not on Cut's mind, but rather beating Syracuse and then Wake &/or Miami, prepping for & winning a bowl game, and recruiting hard for the future.

Let's Go Duke!!!! Crush the Orange!!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

The program has never been in better shape. No changes needed, it was silly for anyone to even bring it up.

Pretty sure Duke leads the NCCA in lateral passing yards from scrimmage. That's got to be worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The program has never been in better shape. No changes needed, it was silly for anyone to even bring it up.
    Ace, I knew you’d eventually come around if given time to fully contemplate and digest everyone’s thoughts on the matter. Proud of you!👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Ace, I knew you’d eventually come around if given time to fully contemplate and digest everyone’s thoughts on the matter. Proud of you!👍🏻
    "Upon Further Review, The Program Is Determined To Be In Great Shape."

Reading this thread after watching the debacle today (the 3rd or 4th such debacle in the last 11 regular season games) is, uh....interesting.

The comments reflect a broad range of standards and expectations. Some are awfully low. Some even suggest that Cut should be above accountability given what he accomplished in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDTD View Post
    Reading this thread after watching the debacle today (the 3rd or 4th such debacle in the last 11 regular season games) is, uh...interesting.

The comments reflect a broad range of standards and expectations. Some are awfully low. Some even suggest that Cut should be above accountability given what he accomplished in the past.
    If he had said post Syracuse " we are close" like he did last week. That was a Hooverish " Everyone remain calm. All is well". Close to scoring another TD, another first down? It feels like Cut is stealing money this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDTD View Post
    Reading this thread after watching the debacle today (the 3rd or 4th such debacle in the last 11 regular season games) is, uh...interesting.

Nice first post.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice first post.
    Thanks for noticing and welcoming me. Much appreciated.