Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Is It Time For Cut To Retire?

I am proud of what Coach Cutcliffe has done for Duke football. It’s more than I imagined anyone could do. If he retires now, he goes out as one of if not the greatest coaches in Duke football history. I want more. He wants more. There may just be fixed limits on what Duke football can achieve.

That said, we’re dead in the water. We may win another couple of games and go to a bowl this year (or even sneak in with five wins) but there’s just no excitement about Duke football. Attendance is terrible if the opponent doesn’t bring at least 10,000 fans. We’re not getting 4* much less 5* athletes. There’s no reason for anyone to have much hope for even an eight win season any year in the future.

I’m certainly not convinced that a new head coach will do that much better but we’ve got to inject some hope into the program even if it turns out to be false hope.

Age will probably force Cutcliffe’s retirement in the next two or three years anyway. Wouldn’t it be best for all if he just announces his retirement before the Wake or Miami game? I think he’ll go out with a lot more glory now than if he waits two or three years.

No. No, no, no.

No, not just yet. But a new oc should be in the works, and a new db coach..

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I am proud of what Coach Cutcliffe has done for Duke football. It’s more than I imagined anyone could do. If he retires now, he goes out as one of if not the greatest coaches in Duke football history. I want more. He wants more. There may just be fixed limits on what Duke football can achieve.

That said, we’re dead in the water. We may win another couple of games and go to a bowl this year (or even sneak in with five wins) but there’s just no excitement about Duke football. Attendance is terrible if the opponent doesn’t bring at least 10,000 fans. We’re not getting 4* much less 5* athletes. There’s no reason for anyone to have much hope for even an eight win season any year in the future.

I’m certainly not convinced that a new head coach will do that much better but we’ve got to inject some hope into the program even if it turns out to be false hope.

Age will probably force Cutcliffe’s retirement in the next two or three years anyway. Wouldn’t it be best for all if he just announces his retirement before the Wake or Miami game? I think he’ll go out with a lot more glory now than if he waits two or three years.
    You're joking, right? The guy has made our program, which was basically a punchline before he arrived, competitive.

Are we going to have some version of this thread after every loss to a ranked team in a rebuilding year after our star QB left early for the NFL?

Emphatic NO is my answer!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    You're joking, right? The guy has made our program, which was basically a punchline before he arrived, competitive.
    that's a straw man in this case. nobody is denying what he's done, only asking if he will be unable to accomplish more moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

He didn't sound like someone who will retire after postgame. He kept preaching youth after last night. I think we'll be lucky to win one more game (Syracuse or Wake), and I've been fearing a 3-9 (0-8) season next year for a while. At least we trade Syracuse for NCSU.

A new coach isn't going to change the attendance problem we've had since the Rose Bowl. A new coach probably isn't going to win recruiting championships with our admissions standards.

As a Bengals and Reds fan, I would caution you to be careful what you wish. "Do something!" hires rarely work out well. There isn't a replacement sitting around unemployed right now, which means the next coach would probably be either Steve Spurrier, Jr. or Scottie Montgomery. The former has never been a head coach but has experience with both Mike Leach's and SOS's system; he has some personal incentive for the job for a few years. The latter was better than our current OC but did not do well at ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    No, not just yet. But a new oc should be in the works, and a new db coach..
    Cut is 5 months younger than I am. Neither of us is ready to be put out to pasture. But Roper has to go. I wonder if Stevie Visor would like the OC job to coach his grandson?

The question of why a renowned quarterback guru can’t recruit a 4 or 5 star quarterback, and I think that is a valid question.

LGD GTHc! Beat Syracuse!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Coach Cut has Duke realistically striving for bowl appearances every year. That is so far above what took place for most of the past five decades that I can't even wrap my head around this thread. Most football programs are in this category, just as most BB programs strive to make the Big Dance. There are a few giants that are usually there, but it is incredibly difficult to reach that level and stay there. Be thankful for the Cut era and be careful what you wish for. Change does not always mean growth. These are the good old days. Smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    True, but in fairness, the OP did NOT ask if should he be fired - or even be on the hotseat. He asked if it's time for Cut to retire, for Cut's own good and legacy.

Now I would say no, not yet...but I would point out that he seemed to have peaked as a 58-59 year old coach, and now he's a 65 year old coach with a plummeting program, and too much loyalty to current staff to make needed changes. That has me very bearish on the short and long term future of Duke football.

Coach Cut has brought Duke a long way, but he also needs to show that he has the will to shake up his staff when needed. In my admittedly, totally amateurish opinion that move is long overdue...

Short answer is no.
    Slightly longer answer is hell no.

I’m not nearly close enough to the program to have a viable opinion on what needs to change. I’d suspect what needs to change is not a simple answer or it would be done already.

No, I don't think it's time for Cut to retire.
    I do think it's time for him to start exercising his prerogatives.

hud

No, definitely don't agree regarding Cutcliffe. However, as others have said, he should take a long, hard look at some of his staff. I realize we have some limitations this year at some key positions, but I'm not sure we're getting the most out of some of our players on offense. We might be though and if so, that may not be a problem remedied by new staff.

I still support both David Cutcliffe and this team. Let's focus on Syracuse and get a much needed win.

It might be a straw man, but it is relevant IMO to state the facts. Duke Football has made a bowl every single year since the 2012 team under Cut, and every single one of those bowl games Duke was must-watch TV.

We've had non-conference games against Bama and Notre Dame, but we haven't missed a bowl yet this year either. I could not be more grateful for what Cut has done for Duke. I do not think Cut should retire, I don't want him to retire, I don't think it's time for him to retire, and this season isn't over yet.

I think this thread should be closed. But just my opinion.

Let's go Duke! Beat Syracuse. I trust Cut and could not be more thankful he coaches Duke football. I hope that continues for many more great years.

Reality

I don't think anyone is not appreciative of what has been done by Coach in making the program relevant again. However, the goal, as stated by Coach himself, is to play for championships. We are not in a division that is being dominated by one school. Virginia may continue the Coastal tradition of a different champion each year. We have avoided the injury problems for the most part that have challenged us for a few years. This team should be no worse than 6-3 now. There is an alarming lack off focus by players capable of much better. Offsides penalties, false starts, running into receivers without ever attempting to find the football (ok - maybe bad coaching is part of that one), bad clock management (this is not the first time), refusing to make the opponent defend the entire field (little misdirection or outside running plays, even fewer vertical pass patterns), wasted timeouts and questionable play selection considering down and distance....deep cleansing breath. The division was there for the taking and the opportunity has been wasted. The bar should be higher because of the improved talent level.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    It might be a straw man, but it is relevant IMO to state the facts. Duke Football has made a bowl every single year since the 2012 team under Cut, and every single one of those bowl games Duke was must-watch TV.

We've had non-conference games against Bama and Notre Dame, but we haven't missed a bowl yet this year either. I could not be more grateful for what Cut has done for Duke. I do not think Cut should retire, I don't want him to retire, I don't think it's time for him to retire, and this season isn't over yet.

I think this thread should be closed. But just my opinion. .
    Uh, I think your facts are wrong on 2012. I seem to remember a 4-8 in there somewhere. And we may be headed to another one. As for "must see" TV, only one really made that category, the 2013 Peach, although the Pin Stripe might fit that too. Certainly the Detroit snoozer bowl and last year were not.

If we can't have a thread like this, started with the POLITE QUESTION...not statement, QUESTION...should Cut retire for his own good and own legacy...then there's no forum, it's just a boy band fan site.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 11-10-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Wait for this thread to be locked like it was after the UNC game...we apparently can’t have real discussions on this forum.

But the answer is yes. Look at what Fleck is doing with Minnesota. They were arguably a worse program than us the past 5-8 years and they’ve turned it around. We need an energetic coach. Recruiting has stagnated and the show on the field has been pretty pathetic. Going into the season it was clear that QH was limited and Cut turned down grad transfers (whether or not they would have made a difference is one thing but at least let there be a battle and to be honest QH has been a good servant to the team but is talent-wise pretty limited).

Cut does not need to retire yet, but I and many others agree that he is being too loyal to incompetent underlings. The oc in particular. I have seem more offensive imagination in Pee Wee Saturday morning leagues.