Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke vs Central Arkansas (11/12/19, 7 pm, ACCN) Pregame & In-Game Thread

MBB 11- 12 7pm ACCN Duke vs Central Arkansas
    Don't know much about these guys, but they gave Georgetown a good run.
    Did not see the game listed anywhere, but it does say ACCN.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-11-2019 at 07:38 AM.

The biggest difference I see between the loss by 40+ to Baylor and the loss by 11 to Georgetown was 3-point shooting. Against Baylor, C Ark went 4-22 versus 12-36 against Georgetown. I’m guessing we see something in the middle and a win around 25-30 points.

I attended the Central Arkansas game at Georgetown. Georgetown has the potential to be significantly improved this year, but right now coach Patrick Ewing seems to be playing his new recruits a lot - instead of his starters - and it's hard to read much into their games. This affected the CA game because the Hoyas were much more effective with their starters on the floor. Center Omer Yurtseven (a transfer from NC State whom some here may remember) was dominant while in the game, for example (17 points and 15 rebounds), but only played 19 minutes.

Central Arkansas struck me as quite tall (they have multiple 7-footers) and very good at 3-point shooting. The latter kept them in the game even though the Hoyas maintained a comfortable lead throughout. They also have a 5'11" point guard who was decent but did not play at all in the second half, reportedly due to an injury of some sort. I don't see them giving Duke much trouble as long as the Blue Devils guard the three-point line, something the Hoyas repeatedly failed to do.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Side note, the University of Central Arkansas is Scotty* Pippen's Alma mater.

* this is the proper spelling of his first name but the misspelled version of Scottie became so rampant that it stuck.

bump because this thread ought to be at the top

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    As a west coast resident now, I’m already tired of seeing that Duke games will only be on the ACCN.
    I was able to stream the CSU game on YouTube last time and it worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I was able to stream the CSU game on YouTube last time and it worked great.
    Thank you! I'll give it a try.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    As a west coast resident now, I’m already tired of seeing that Duke games will only be on the ACCN.
    Me to. surprised to see this. Does the ACCN bring in a lot of $ to the conference. It would seem that the top tier teams not being on the big cable sports channels (ESPN, CBS SN, FOXSports, etc...) would cost the conference a lot of money. Just wondering if the conference is getting as much as its is losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Me to. surprised to see this. Does the ACCN bring in a lot of $ to the conference. It would seem that the top tier teams not being on the big cable sports channels (ESPN, CBS SN, FOXSports, etc...) would cost the conference a lot of money. Just wondering if the conference is getting as much as its is losing.
    They are getting a lot, including a dedicated network for their conference. And ESPN is spending a ton of money to have these games on ACCN. Also, there are a lot of Duke fans with your mentality who will inevitably opt into the ACCN (not saying you will opt in, but the mentality of 'can't believe these games aren't on a main network and I have pay additionally for this'). And that's ESPN's plan.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

This is the first ever game for Duke against Central Arkansas. Since joining Division I for the 2007 season, Central Arkansas has never beaten a major conference opponent and has precisely 1 win (in 2007, vs. Bucknell) over a team that finished the season in the top 100 in Pomeroy.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    This is the first ever game for Duke against Central Arkansas. Since joining Division I for the 2007 season, Central Arkansas has never beaten a major conference opponent and has precisely 1 win (in 2007, vs. Bucknell) over a team that finished the season in the top 100 in Pomeroy.
    So you're telling me there's a chance!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'm hoping to see our offensive rebounding rates pick up in this game. If we're going to struggle on offense relative to the typical Duke team, I at least hope we're able to improve our offensive rebounding to compensate a little bit. Unlike in previous seasons when one guy (Zion, Marvin, Brian, etc) dominated the offensive glass, I'm hoping for a collective improvement. We have enough athleticism on the wings that our guards should be able to beat the opposition to some boards. This will never be more true than against Central Arkansas, so it's a great place to start seeing some improvement in this area.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Looks like the gray unis again.

Someone last time linked me to a great live box score, apologies for not remembering who, but if anyone knows what I'm talking to and can link me, it would be appreciated.

Defense still looks great. Offense turning it over too much.

18-5 for those not linked. Tre with his first 3.

This is beautiful basketball on both ends. Hurt putting on a show.

19-0 run. Hurt can score. I’m not saying he is NBA HOF worthy or anything, but he reminds me of McHale with his kind of gawky awkward efficiency. He looks un athletically athletic.

AOC is the only one struggling. Everyone else is contributing.