Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Even if a school cheats, that doesn't mean they will ever get punished.

Besides, vacated wins mean NOTHING. The games were still won by the cheaters. The agony of defeat felt by the losers. Even the school record books rarely reflect the vacated nature of those games except with an asterisk.
    For some reason, I get the feeling you might not be talking about Memphis here.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    For some reason, I get the feeling you might not be talking about Memphis here.
    I speak as a fan with a rich tradition of NCAA probation. They can make us vacate the wins, but they can't make us forget the thrill of victory!

Wiseman and Memphis finally cave. He will be held out of games until he is reinstated.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...15593767964672

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Wiseman and Memphis finally cave. He will be held out of games until he is reinstated.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...15593767964672
    Awww. I was enjoying the "party like there's no tomorrow - because there's not" attitude.

He dropped his lawsuit as well. Tells me there will be a quick "equitable" resolution. I wonder how much the loss to Oregon played into things - or the TV ratings for the game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...lity-restored/

Looks like Nike will have to pay Penny back for the moving expenses. I mean Adidas. I mean his family.

Is this not actually kind of great for Wiseman? He's already projected as the #1 pick, so there was nowhere to go but down if he got hurt or played poorly. Now he doesn't have to risk those outcomes, but he also doesn't have to put up with grief about his motivation or energy level.

My guess (which is based on nothing more than speculation after reading a bunch of articles on the subject) is that Memphis and the NCAA have worked out a deal internally. Declaring him ineligible is the next required step, so that Memphis can apply for reinstatement and the NCAA can issue its punishment (which I think has already been determined). Otherwise there would be no reason for Memphis to suddenly reverse course.

I’d put the over/under on games Wiseman sits at 9.5.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Is this not actually kind of great for Wiseman? He's already projected as the #1 pick, so there was nowhere to go but down if he got hurt or played poorly. Now he doesn't have to risk those outcomes, but he also doesn't have to put up with grief about his motivation or energy level.
    Definitely true...just have fun (but not too much) until the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    I mean, only if you think Zion should have sat out the rest of last season like Scotty Pippen said.

It means he doesn't get to play competitive basketball for the time being. It potentially means he won't get the experience of the NCAA tournament. Yes, it would work out nicely in protecting his NBA interests. And maybe that is all that matters to him. But I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It potentially means he won't get the experience of the NCAA tournament. Yes, it would work out nicely in protecting his NBA interests. And maybe that is all that matters to him. But I doubt it.
    I say he sits five games. The NCAA knows that (top form) James Wiseman is good for March.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

My guess (which is based on nothing more than speculation after reading a bunch of articles on the subject) is that Memphis and the NCAA have worked out a deal internally. Declaring him ineligible is the next required step, so that Memphis can apply for reinstatement and the NCAA can issue its punishment (which I think has already been determined). Otherwise there would be no reason for Memphis to suddenly reverse course.

9.5 sounds about right because it is 11 games until Memphis plays Georgia in what could be a matchup of the #1 and #2 picks in the NBA draft between Wiseman and Anthony Edwards. CBS is scheduled to broadcast that game nationally and I think everyone wants to see that matchup (though they won't guard each other).

I agree that the NCAA likely assured Memphis and Wiseman that he would not miss the entire season if he gave in now. Memphis does have a few potentially tough games coming up with Ole Miss on 11/23, NC State on 11/28, and Tennessee on 12/14 so they may take some losses without him.

-Jason "with Wiseman out, Boogie becomes Memphis' leading scorer" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Eh, you imply that you do know the real reasons.

Memphis is not a mediocre program.

The fact that their three previous coaches include two coaches who have also coached the Kentucky Wildcats to national championships proves that they are not mediocre. This is just wrong.
    Meh...above average...Take away the Calipari years -- just as he took away his recruits when he left -- and it isn't too far above average. A stepping stone to better pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by porkpa View Post
    This isn't uniques to either Penny or Memphis. I'm pretty certain it does and has occurred at every big time college hoops program.
    How many top Duke, UK, UNC or any other top schools have found close family members suddenly moving to to the areas where their sons are now playing. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least half a dozen Duke players where this has happened. I can't say for certain that they have received financial compensation for doing so. That's just the way the game is played. Wealthy alumni secure jobs for the family members and the families move.
    I remember a guy who moved from an impoverished neighborhood to a very nice house in So Cal coincidental to a football scholly...I think his name was Reggie Bush, but of course Pete Carroll ran to the NFL and played Sergeant Carter when the questions came. yeah it happens. It is cheating. They got caught...others don't. Guess they didn't win the NCAA rules lottery. Doing that crap going into your first coaching job is ballsy and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I mean, only if you think Zion should have sat out the rest of last season like Scotty Pippen said.

It means he doesn't get to play competitive basketball for the time being. It potentially means he won't get the experience of the NCAA tournament. Yes, it would work out nicely in protecting his NBA interests. And maybe that is all that matters to him. But I doubt it.
    I thought Zion should have sat out every game that took place in calendar 2019! I'm all about protecting these kids!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wiseman's lawyers from Ballin, Ballin & Fishman and Farese, Farese & Farese released a statement Thursday morning, shortly before Memphis declared him ineligible.
    That has to be the best law firm name ever to represent a player. (Although the stutter at the end a bit.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That has to be the best law firm name ever to represent a player. (Although the stutter at the end a bit.)
    I sure hope that the tagline for Ballin, Ballin & Fishman is:

“Don’t worry, we let Fishman do the work.”
    Carolina delenda est

I say he sits five games. The NCAA knows that (top form) James Wiseman is good for March.
    Very few will notice whether he plays or not.

The NCAA also knows that they need to appear tough and didn’t just let a school bully them around, which is what the perception would be if they let Memphis off easy. Obviously this is not a concern when it comes to academic matters, but when it’s an issue of players receiving money they will drop the hammer of Thor.

My guess (which is based on nothing more than speculation after reading a bunch of articles on the subject) is that Memphis and the NCAA have worked out a deal internally... I’d put the over/under on games Wiseman sits at 9.5.
    Quoting myself to say that a quick ruling has been handed down, indicating a deal could in fact have already been in place. If you took the over then congrats, as Wiseman will have to sit 12 games. HOWEVER Memphis has stated that they will appeal. And it’s entirely possible (in my conspiracy-theory mind) that the NCAA and Memphis have already agreed on a 9 game suspension and arranged the terms that the NCAA would rule 12 and then appeal it down to 9.

Quoting myself to say that a quick ruling has been handed down, indicating a deal could in fact have already been in place. If you took the over then congrats, as Wiseman will have to sit 12 games. HOWEVER Memphis has stated that they will appeal. And it’s entirely possible (in my conspiracy-theory mind) that the NCAA and Memphis have already agreed on a 9 game suspension and arranged the terms that the NCAA would rule 12 and then appeal it down to 9.
    The NCAA is just as corrupt as Uncheat, well almost and don't get me started on ACC Commish Swofford.
    GoDuke and 9F.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Very few will notice whether he plays or not.
    Maybe they could try this strategy! (Sorry I just love this story)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/misso...dentity-change