Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    He has the size and athleticism, along with the shooting touch to emulate Ty Jerome. Maybe coach K out to think of running him off of screens to get him additional open 3's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Alex's game is nothing like Ty Jerome's. Completely different type of player.
    Yeah, Ty Jerome was better than AOC at everything and was one of the best point guards in college. Not a good comparison.

    Coach K would absolutely run plays to screen for AOC off the ball if it were actually in AOC's skillset to shoot well coming off screens. Digging into the archives, see the pet play below that we ran repeatedly for Trent Jr two seasons ago to sprint to the top of the key wide open, for example. Keep in mind that sprinting away from the basket and shooting is a different skill than standstill, catch-and-shoot threes. If Coach K doesn't end up running plays for AOC, the most likely reason is because AOC's not good shooting off movement. Perhaps those plays are coming, though, once AOC is firmly established as the starter. But, in general, you've vastly overrated AOC for three years now.



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC

    So Far....

    Duke is shooting 32.8% from 3 through one road game and two home games. If there's any improvement over that, I'll take it. Hurt and Alex are the two shooters. If one other guys shoots 35% or better, I'll take it.

    This quote has me way more excited about the season than two weeks ago - “I think we found our identity—hard-nosed, rough [and] tough,” Duke freshman Cassius Stanley said. “It might be ugly, but we’re going to get the dub. We’re going to be very, very, very aggressive.”

    Duke has forced 67 turnovers through three games. Nice. Opponents A:TO ratio is 26:67 which comes out to 0.388 to 1. Ouch.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, Ty Jerome was better than AOC at everything and was one of the best point guards in college. Not a good comparison.

    Coach K would absolutely run plays to screen for AOC off the ball if it were actually in AOC's skillset to shoot well coming off screens. Digging into the archives, see the pet play below that we ran repeatedly for Trent Jr two seasons ago to sprint to the top of the key wide open, for example. Keep in mind that sprinting away from the basket and shooting is a different skill than standstill, catch-and-shoot threes. If Coach K doesn't end up running plays for AOC, the most likely reason is because AOC's not good shooting off movement. Perhaps those plays are coming, though, once AOC is firmly established as the starter. But, in general, you've vastly overrated AOC for three years now.


    AOC is a very athletic guard and has gained strength this year. I attributed his lack of production to a confidence issue and a less than stellar handle. He is in his third season and I hope more things come together for him this year. I only too well recognize his deficiencies but he has the tools and may finally make a step forward.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    He has the size and athleticism, along with the shooting touch to emulate Ty Jerome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I attributed his lack of production to a confidence issue and a less than stellar handle.
    The "less than stellar handle" alone suggests the comparison to Ty Jerome is completely inapt.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The "less than stellar handle" alone suggests the comparison to Ty Jerome is completely inapt.
    Also, Jerome isn’t all that athletic. His game is about guile, savvy, and toughness. Nor did he get much action coming off screens as he was the PG. Basically, aside from height and - perhaps - shooting ability they have very little in common.

    When I read the post, my thought was “did he or she really mean Kyle Guy?” Because stylistically that is a much more reasonable comparison. Guy is shorter and of course also much better than O’Connell, but the body type and skill set is much more similar than Jerome.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The "less than stellar handle" alone suggests the comparison to Ty Jerome is completely inapt.
    Yeah, but AOC would have Ty Jerome's handle if he, too, was allowed to double-dribble . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Similar Threads

  1. MOTM: Duke v. Kansas (Nov 5, 2019)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-06-2019, 01:54 PM
  2. Phase V - 2018-2019 - UNC#1 through UNC#2
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-25-2019, 08:23 PM
  3. Phase I, 2018-19 season
    By kAzE in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-23-2018, 12:04 PM
  4. Phase 0 -- 2013-14 season
    By Kedsy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 02:51 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •