Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Because this is not an all-or-nothing situation. The 28 game round robin is ideal... getting as close as possible to it is good.

I am sure you would agree that a 27 game schedule would come darn close to being perfect. If Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Virginia each played a 27 game schedule and each missed a road game against one of Syracuse, NC St, Notre Dame, or Miami then I can imagine at least 95% of us would say Duke, UNC, Lou, and Virginia had played pretty much equal schedules and the team with the best record certainly deserved to be crowned some kind of ACC champion.

27 is better than 26 is better than 25 is better than 24... and so on. Therefore 20 is better than 18. I'm not saying 20 is perfect, not even close. I am merely saying it gets us closer to a fair schedule than 18 does.
    I think you're right conceptually. But practically, I don't think it moves the needle. Sure, going from 18 to 24 games would be preferable for parity - not perfect but preferable. Going from 18 to 20 may technically be preferable as well, but not in a quantum that makes me care more.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    See, that's still a bit silly. 1/2 game flips the title 50% of the time when the title is decided by a game or less. That's spectacularly common.

In the past 10 years, 6 times has the ACC RS been decided by a game or less. So 30% of ACC RS have been effectively flipped by the unbalanced schedule.
    Well, not really. Because that's only the difference between the absolute hardest and weakest schedules, which I doubt has been the case for any of those teams battling for the top spot in the last 10 years (or even since we went to the unbalanced schedules) . PLUS, you're not accounting for tiebreakers (cases in which if you bring the 2nd place team up to tie the top team, they'd finish second anyway). My guess is that the actually % of time the SOS determines the conf "regular season champion" is almost definitely less that 5%, maybe as low as 1-2%.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    My guess is that the actually % of time the SOS determines the conf "regular season champion" is almost definitely less that 5%, maybe as low as 1-2%.
    you're very wrong see my other thread with a complete analysis. it's affected 4 acc titles in the past 10 years.