Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I agree with this FWIW.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    It seems apparent to me that the portion of HBCK's message stating "do not expect me to respect that" was directed at Jay Bilas, not at the poster -- a point made clear by the immediately succeeding sentences, stating that "if you have to lie to do your job" and drawing a comparison to another ESPN announcer, Scott Van Pelt.
    If that's the case, please delete my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    It seems apparent to me that the portion of HBCK's message stating "do not expect me to respect that" was directed at Jay Bilas, not at the poster -- a point made clear by the immediately succeeding sentences, stating that "if you have to lie to do your job" and drawing a comparison to another ESPN announcer, Scott Van Pelt.
    That was how I took it as well. HBCK can be a bit aggressive about debating his/her (no offense meant just didn’t want to assume) points, but this was not one of those posts - and I tend to agree with this one.

I defended Bilas early on but gave up when his agenda became clear. I still like him as a person and recognize his abilities outside Duke/UNC announcing. He is one of the major reasons I never watch ESPN except for a game I can only watch there- and I rarely watch the whole thing...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    That was how I took it as well. HBCK can be a bit aggressive about debating his/her (no offense meant just didn’t want to assume) points, but this was not one of those posts - and I tend to agree with this one.

I defended Bilas early on but gave up when his agenda became clear. I still like him as a person and recognize his abilities outside Duke/UNC announcing. He is one of the major reasons I never watch ESPN except for a game I can only watch there- and I rarely watch the whole thing...
    Fair point, and yes, HBCK can be aggressive - because one of his occupations is in political media and communications, where the baseline is so nasty, that what I do here doesn't seem to me to be aggressive (most of the time). Sorry if it comes off that way.

And yes, my comments were directed at Jay Bilas and NOT the poster. I think the poster was right that this was a calculated move on Jay's part, and as I thought about that, rather than Jay just subconsciously drifting that way, I got even angrier and lost even more respect for Jay. I simply have no respect for calculated schticks. I have no disrespect for the poster whatsoever.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 12-05-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I believe Bilas is Biased against Duke for a calculated reason. He knows that a preponderance of fans tend to be anti-Duke so to appeal to them and keep the money rolling in, he goes out of his way to be a Duke critic. No doubt he knows the game and is no dummy, but he knows his audience.
    This may well be the case. I spend very little time thinking about Bilas, as I watch all the games without sound. However, yesterday I re-enjoyed the game one more time by watching with the sound on, and noted four consecutive cases where Bilas opined that Duke was the beneficiary of a bad call or no call...the kid falling in front of Jones, a Spartan who took multiple bumps from a Duke defender without a call...I finally had to revert to mute mode. Meanwhile he had no issue with pro MSU calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm sorry if you disagree with someone's perspective, but I (not a moderator) would suggest that you reconsider not "respecting" someone else's views on this board, regardless of what they are. We're all Duke fans, and this is a self-selecting group here on this board. We hold ourselves to a higher standard than political radio and television shows. We even attempt to be welcoming of rival fans (within reason - RIP Wheat).
    Read mine and other comments below, and you will see you had a total mis-interpretation of my comments. Context...context...

I can put up with Bilas. He's not my favorite announcer but I can stand him. As others have posted, he does go overboard in his anti-Duke spew and I don't like his on and on about the corrupt NCAA. However, I do agree with him, the NCAA is corrupt. I also remember Jay coming on DBR and defending himself years ago. At that time he was not anti-Duke like he is now. I met Jay at Bob Harris' Golf Tournament years ago and he just wasn't a very friendly person. (On the other hand, Johnny D was) Later on, I was told by a person close to Duke athletics that "Jay was an ok guy, but he's full of himself". I've never forgotten those words. So, when Jay does a Duke game, sometimes I listen to him and sometimes I hit the mute button. It all depends on how bad he is that particular game. And of course, if I feel he's full of himself that game. Oh, but I always mute Dickie V and Len Elmore. As I would Billy Packer if he was still announcing games.

GoDuke!

It is surely odd behavior...I truly don't think he is anti-Duke per se, but what I assume to be his overcompensation is really over the top as I found out the other night. The mute button still rulz.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Read mine and other comments below, and you will see you had a total mis-interpretation of my comments. Context...context...
    Yes. And if you read my follow up comments, you would see I requested my reply be deleted if this was the case.

Let's please move forward, unless you feel the need to chastise me further.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I believe Bilas is Biased against Duke for a calculated reason. He knows that a preponderance of fans tend to be anti-Duke so to appeal to them and keep the money rolling in, he goes out of his way to be a Duke critic. No doubt he knows the game and is no dummy, but he knows his audience.
    Bilas would be nearly perfect if he stuck with pure game analysis without a care about "his audience".

Vitale would be terrific if all of his enthusiasm were focused on the game at hand.

Walton does not care at all about "his audience" which is refreshing, but he has kaleidoscope eyes (or tie dye on the brain or something).

We're lucky to be Duke fans, so I guess we can't have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Bilas would be nearly perfect if he stuck with pure game analysis without a care about "his audience".

Vitale would be terrific if all of his enthusiasm were focused on the game at hand.

Walton does not care at all about "his audience" which is refreshing, but he has kaleidoscope eyes (or tie dye on the brain or something).

We're lucky to be Duke fans, so I guess we can't have it all.
    Vitale and Walton can go for minutes at a time without mentioning anything peripherally relevant to the game. For whatever reason, I find Walton infinitely more palatable.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Vitale and Walton can go for minutes at a time without mentioning anything peripherally relevant to the game. For whatever reason, I find Walton infinitely more palatable.
    Yeah, one minute you're watching a basketball game and the next you're learning about blue whales or Koalas or something. Walton is a trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Yeah, one minute you're watching a basketball game and the next you're learning about blue whales or Koalas or something. Walton is a trip!
    Vitale just wants to tell you how special these kids are.

Vitale just wants to tell you how special these kids are.
    And his Mt. Rushmore of coaches which has about 20 faces on it by now...and his bald dome index....and even he can make that shot even though he only has one eye......and "Are you kidding me?!! Are you serious?!!......."I had dinner with Lou Carnesecca last night and.....".......

Yes. And if you read my follow up comments, you would see I requested my reply be deleted if this was the case.

Let's please move forward, unless you feel the need to chastise me further.
    Forty lashes with a wet noodle, I say!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Forty lashes with a wet noodle, I say!
    If I knew how to do it I would insert the scene with the Frenchman in the turret saying, "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

So the way to get less Bilas is he changes his schtick - which isn’t going to happen for monetary reasons - or we enter a period of sucking at hoops and he will not be calling our games as he part of ESPN’s number one college basketball announcing team? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    So the way to get less Bilas is he changes his schtick - which isn’t going to happen for monetary reasons - or we enter a period of sucking at hoops and he will not be calling our games as he part of ESPN’s number one college basketball announcing team? Hmm...
    or more games on the ACCN. shudder.

also does ANYBODY like the 94' with bilas? didn't want to watch the game or anything...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    or more games on the ACCN...
    Eek gads, man...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    contrast his call when they missed the duke goaltend yesterday vs when they missed the UNC one tonight...night and day.
    It was hysterical. One night later, nearly the same play or at least a very, very similar near-miss goaltend off the glass, in the same Challenge event. The situation was about as close as you could get to a controlled experiment.

And there was Bilas, on night 1 going on and on and on about the call and on night 2 essentially taking the ho-hum approach "gee, it's surprising they get that wrong so often but oh well".

Bilas is a pretty polarizing subject around here, and I find myself more on the dislike side (as an announcer), but man was it an obvious difference between his call in our game versus last night.

- Chillin