Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'll agree with you and raise you one better...regarding your point number 1: That bending over backwards has morphed over the years to playing to an ESPN audience, which is largely made up of Duke haters. I wouldn't be surprised if there's peer pressure in the "break room" and maybe even a corporate edict to slam Duke. After all, ESPN is NOT a news organization, and they are in business for one thing and one thing only: large audiences leading to big revenues. If having a Duke alum bend over backwards a little too much helps that mission, then of course this is what happens. And even if it's not a corporate edict, Jay clearly wants his job and is smart enough to know how to do it by being a little too "anti Duke" at times.

Now this doesn't mean I have to like or respect Jay's decision to do that. I don't, but I do understand it, and I simply can't believe anyone who's listened to him doesn't agree at least in part on this.
    With you on every part of your hypothesis concerning Jay and ESPN. That’s been my contention for a long time, and I believe DBR had someone with insider knowledge about the “politics” of ESPN basically verify our thoughts several years ago. The network’s top brass, other than for money purposes, has never cared for Duke while at the same time has loved Carolina. That’s axiomatic at this point in their history.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    With you on every part of your hypothesis concerning Jay and ESPN. That’s been my contention for a long time, and I believe DBR had someone with insider knowledge about the “politics” of ESPN basically verify our thoughts several years ago. The network’s top brass, other than for money purposes, has never cared for Duke while at the same time has loved Carolina. That’s axiomatic at this point in their history.
    Lessee... ESPN and Disney make a ton of money off of Duke hoops. The program is not only the best-known college hoops program in the US but also the one best known in other countries. Duke's ratings seem to be higher than most if not all college hoops. Coach K is an icon and the most celebrated hoops coach in the entire world, contributing to Disney profits. Moreover, the Duke basketball program is a bulwark against seedy and sometimes illegal behavior that shows up at other schools. So, certain execs are willing to hurt their company's bottom line (and their bonuses) so they can pursue some sort of vendetta against Duke.

Despite this vendetta, they have appointed Bilas to be lead basketball announcer. (Oh, that's right; he hates Duke despite graduating from Trinity and Duke Law and coaching at Duke and sending his daughter to Duke -- and writing the intro to one of K's recent books.) And JWill is a lead studio announcer and likely to advance over time

I am afraid I don't have a high opinion of your post.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lessee... ESPN and Disney make a ton of money off of Duke hoops. The program is not only the best-known college hoops program in the US but also the one best known in other countries. Duke's ratings seem to be higher than most if not all college hoops. Coach K is an icon and the most celebrated hoops coach in the entire world, contributing to Disney profits. Moreover, the Duke basketball program is a bulwark against seedy and sometimes illegal behavior that shows up at other schools. So, certain execs are willing to hurt their company's bottom line (and their bonuses) so they can pursue some sort of vendetta against Duke.

Despite this vendetta, they have appointed Bilas to be lead basketball announcer. (Oh, that's right; he hates Duke despite graduating from Trinity and Duke Law and coaching at Duke and sending his daughter to Duke -- and writing the intro to one of K's recent books.) And JWill is a lead studio announcer and likely to advance over time

Nothing you said contradicts my opinion. If anything it verifies it. ESPN loves the revenue Duke produces, but the higher ups, in their heart (not their wallets), prefer UNC to Duke (journalism majors, the now departed Stu, the former Prez of the network, etc). Both things can be true at the same time. And it explains the network’s complete silence and lack of investigative journalism into the Cheats.

To change the subject a bit, I enjoy the announcers tonight. They’re prepared, are providing reasonable commentary and neither is particularly pompous.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    To change the subject a bit, I enjoy the announcers tonight. They’re prepared, are providing reasonable commentary and neither is particularly pompous.
    I disagree I've been watching for like 2 minutes and the one guy literally makes me want to hear finger nails on a chalkboard.

Could we have a separate thread for only Bilas?😀
    I agree Bilas is off the charts annoying. My wife is a unc fan and she thinks Bilas is annoying so that's all the proof we need.

Agreed

It’s a little strange to hear Crispin do an ACC game, but he’s fine.

The thing that is funny is it's Jay's partner...he seems like a totally new guy when not paired with Jay, haha. I agree - they are totally fine to listen to.

Sage, you are conflating ideas and missing one point. ESPN makes money off of Duke in large part because of the tune in factor of Duke haters. Second, no one is saying Bilas hates Duke...it's that he's a coward on the mic and bends over backwards to be anti Duke on-air to appease the vast legions of Duke haters who watch Duke games hoping they'll lose....and they watch a lot of ESPN during the daytime which also has its number of Duke haters. No one is saying Bilas hates Duke, but he does play to the Duke haters in his audience. TOTALLY DIFF THINGS

Sage, you are conflating ideas and missing one point. ESPN makes money off of Duke in large part because of the tune in factor of Duke haters. Second, no one is saying Bilas hates Duke...it's that he's a coward on the mic and bends over backwards to be anti Duke on-air to appease the vast legions of Duke haters who watch Duke games hoping they'll lose...and they watch a lot of ESPN during the daytime which also has its number of Duke haters. No one is saying Bilas hates Duke, but he does play to the Duke haters in his audience. TOTALLY DIFF THINGS
    Yep. That’s the point.

Sage, you are conflating ideas and missing one point. ESPN makes money off of Duke in large part because of the tune in factor of Duke haters. Second, no one is saying Bilas hates Duke...it's that he's a coward on the mic and bends over backwards to be anti Duke on-air to appease the vast legions of Duke haters who watch Duke games hoping they'll lose...and they watch a lot of ESPN during the daytime which also has its number of Duke haters. No one is saying Bilas hates Duke, but he does play to the Duke haters in his audience. TOTALLY DIFF THINGS
    I am not conflating anything. The main point is that Duke is a major partner with ESPN, and ESPN, as a matter of business, loves all of the major college programs. It's a business, and it utterly doesn't matter where you went to school as an ESPN exec. You are asserting that the high level of viewership of Duke games is driven by Duke haters? Do you really mean that? That's totally nuts. People watch programs they are interested in and where they know the players. And the universe of Duke haters may be smaller than you think. Duke has always ranked at the top of the most-liked program -- but the point is that viewers get familiar with the players and coaches and follow them on TV.

My point about Bilas and JWill was a fillip to the main point about Bristol CT liking Duke and other major programs. If the execs at ESPN don't like Duke, why do they keep hiring Duke players as on-air personalities? So much for "conflation." So, you think that instead of the "cowboy at the mike" Curt Gowdy, Jay Bilas is the "coward at the mike?" A bit strong, eh? You are not gonna stand behind that point, are you? Bilas is in the entertainment business and has a schtick that most older listeners don't really appreciate, including me, but he's the main man at ESPN hoops. I don't hear anti-Duke bias in his commentary, but then I know how much he likes the Duke hoops program and idolizes Coach K.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Entertainment SPN understands what the E means. Everything is WWE now - even politics. There has to be a heel and a hero. Making Duke the heel works for the masses. We don't care for it, but that is irrelevant. Even WWE gives heels a turn now and then, but why risk it when this works for them? It helps if you are always aware that manipulation is always in play. Then you can pan out and laugh at human nature. Stay intellectually curious my friends. We always get a little freaky after a Duke loss.

I am not conflating anything. The main point is that Duke is a major partner with ESPN, and ESPN, as a matter of business, loves all of the major college programs. It's a business, and it utterly doesn't matter where you went to school as an ESPN exec. You are asserting that the high level of viewership of Duke games is driven by Duke haters? Do you really mean that? That's totally nuts. People watch programs they are interested in and where they know the players. And the universe of Duke haters may be smaller than you think. Duke has always ranked at the top of the most-liked program -- but the point is that viewers get familiar with the players and coaches and follow them on TV.

My point about Bilas and JWill was a fillip to the main point about Bristol CT liking Duke and other major programs. If the execs at ESPN don't like Duke, why do they keep hiring Duke players as on-air personalities? So much for "conflation." So, you think that instead of the "cowboy at the mike" Curt Gowdy, Jay Bilas is the "coward at the mike?" A bit strong, eh? You are not gonna stand behind that point, are you? Bilas is in the entertainment business and has a schtick that most older listeners don't really appreciate, including me, but he's the main man at ESPN hoops. I don't hear anti-Duke bias in his commentary, but then I know how much he likes the Duke hoops program and idolizes Coach K.
    You are still swerving off the main point, though you did finally get back to it. Is coward at the mic a bit strong? Perhaps so, but pick any word...he is playing a role on air more than being himself. I understand the schtick part of it, and I also happen to know from experience behind the scenes in media that there are those who have schticks...and those who are more true to themselves. Bilas has become more of the former, whereas I have more respect for the latter.

What you don't seem to understand is that WE ALL NATURALLY ARE INCLINED to like Bilas, because we are all Duke fans, we know he played at Duke, and some of us well remember that class of 86 and what they did for Duke. And yet, he has pushed so many of us away...even as we are inclined to like him. It sounds to me like YOU are the one with the prejudiced ear, not able to admit what he's become on air because of the natural inclination to like him.

I will also add that the last Duke game he did, he was different...it's like he was reading DBR or something. If that Bilas is the Bilas going forward, I will like him again as an announcer. We'll have to see. But that so many Duke fans don't like him is not a fluke. He's pushed us away (on-air).

You are still swerving off the main point, though you did finally get back to it. Is coward at the mic a bit strong? Perhaps so, but pick any word...he is playing a role on air more than being himself. I understand the schtick part of it, and I also happen to know from experience behind the scenes in media that there are those who have schticks...and those who are more true to themselves. Bilas has become more of the former, whereas I have more respect for the latter.

What you don't seem to understand is that WE ALL NATURALLY ARE INCLINED to like Bilas, because we are all Duke fans, we know he played at Duke, and some of us well remember that class of 86 and what they did for Duke. And yet, he has pushed so many of us away...even as we are inclined to like him. It sounds to me like YOU are the one with the prejudiced ear, not able to admit what he's become on air because of the natural inclination to like him.

I will also add that the last Duke game he did, he was different...it's like he was reading DBR or something. If that Bilas is the Bilas going forward, I will like him again as an announcer. We'll have to see. But that so many Duke fans don't like him is not a fluke. He's pushed us away (on-air).
    "The main point," which both my posts have adhered to, was a post above claiming information that insiders at ESPN in Bristol disliked Duke and implied that it affected decision regarding the airing of Duke basketball. I sincerely hope I demolished that ridiculous position -- to the applause of some of the powers-that-be here.

I recognize that much of this thread is about announcers and Bilas, which I used only as a supporting argument -- the prevalence of Duke grads on ESPN television coverage. And it was fun and, I hope, entertaining to bring up Bilas.

I have never swerved off my main point -- opposition to the view that there is a corporate bias against Duke at ESPN and Disney. That is not an "announcer topic," but was the feature of a post above which I found illogical. Holy cow! It is painful even to type those words -- ESPN bias against the best-known program in the country, the most sacred cathedral of college hoops, a world-class university, and the most highly regarded basketball coach in the entire world, both amateur and pro. It's a business, guys and gals! ESPN makes money off of Duke -- they love us, as I love all my customers.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 01-15-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Sage Grouse

"The main point," which both my posts have adhered to, was a post above claiming information that insiders at ESPN in Bristol disliked Duke and implied that it affected decision regarding the airing of Duke basketball. I sincerely hope I demolished that ridiculous position -- to the applause of some of the powers-that-be here.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse

A: That about Bristol was NEVER my main point, and you responded to me. I posited it as a theory...that may have some impact...but not because Bristol disliked Duke, but because Bristol knows their audience dislikes Duke. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. This is not just about watching the Duke games, it's about all the times Duke is mentioned on the endless number of shows, many of which show clips from games and/or have Bilas as a guest.

Perhaps it was worded clumsily, or perhaps people are reading into posts what is not there.

B: The main point of all the anti Bilas commentary that I've seen - including mine - is that Bilas is bending over backwards not to show favoritism towards Duke...and that this dynamic has morphed into actually a more aggressive anti Duke persona on air. Bristol this and that is just a side point, a tangent. This is 99% about Bilas' decision to do what he does. The other 1% is what other motivations there may be in the coffee break rooms or the board rooms or on the sets of Bristol...but that is only icing on the cake.

C: And again, I've not seen anyone posit that Bilas really hates Duke. Perhaps they have. That's never been the main issue.

Even more kindly,
    CEW

I recognize that much of this thread is about announcers and Bilas, which I used only as a supporting argument -- the prevalence of Duke grads on ESPN television coverage. And it was fun and, I hope, entertaining to bring up Bilas.

I have never swerved off my main point -- opposition to the view that there is a corporate bias against Duke at ESPN and Disney. That is not an "announcer topic," but was the feature of a post above which I found illogical. Holy cow! It is painful even to type those words -- ESPN bias against the best-known program in the country, the most sacred cathedral of college hoops, a world-class university, and the most highly regarded basketball coach in the entire world, both amateur and pro. It's a business, guys and gals! ESPN makes money off of Duke -- they love us, as I love all my customers.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    You are strawmanning my position, sage. I never claimed, nor implied, that insiders at ESPN make their decisions on airing Duke basketball because some of them are Tar Heel alum. The wallet always wins out over the heart in corporate America. I also never brought up Disney. I'm not a Mouseketeer (although I did have a crush on Annette and Cheryl Holdridge) so forgive me for not including them.

Just because some of us have seen what we believe to be blatant personal dislike for Duke/love for Carolina from some of the folk at ESPN does NOT mean we are saying ESPN would cut off their nose to spite their face. They are a business, first and foremost. But within that business if they can throw some shade at Duke and some love toward Carolina I say some of them absolute do that. And if there is no bias at the headquarters, please offer a logical explanation for ESPN being all but dead silent during the Cheats scandal. If you believe they'd have been just as quiet had Duke been the subject of the investigation, I've got some swamp land...

But hey, if you and the "powers-that-be here" think otherwise that's no skin off my nose.

As for Bilas, my opinion mirrors HereBeforeCoachK. He's spoken to that position well so I'll add no more.

Is this the right place to nominate Corey Alexander as the worst, most annoying announcer presently working for ESPN? He just seems to ooze pointless and often uneducated comments about anything and everything. For example, today during the first half of the cheater’s broadcast, even with all of the well documented (by ESPN!) effort that is currently being put forth by the Pelicans to improve Zion’s physical movements, he sat there and spewed nonsense about how and why Zion got hurt and stayed that the Pels really needed to invest in doing something different with him. And then there was some stupid rant about Pitt and Cheater father/son duos and that the sons are all shorter than their fathers and that it’s because they all have short mothers. What the...? Some guys just have no clue when to shut their mouths. As the saying goes, better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Is this the right place to nominate Corey Alexander as the worst, most annoying announcer presently working for ESPN? He just seems to ooze pointless and often uneducated comments about anything and everything. For example, today during the first half of the cheater’s broadcast, even with all of the well documented (by ESPN!) effort that is currently being put forth by the Pelicans to improve Zion’s physical movements, he sat there and spewed nonsense about how and why Zion got hurt and stayed that the Pels really needed to invest in doing something different with him. And then there was some stupid rant about Pitt and Cheater father/son duos and that the sons are all shorter than their fathers and that it’s because they all have short mothers. What the...? Some guys just have no clue when to shut their mouths. As the saying goes, better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Bilas also earned a nomination tonight. Critical play in the second half did not interrupt his discussion of the center on Kansas’ team. Then topped it after Duke missed an open 3 with 16 seconds by saying Duke did not need a three.

The Duke-Syracuse TV announcers tonight spent less time actually talking about what was happening on the court than any duo I have ever had the displeasure to hear. Even Dickie V has never been this bad.

The Duke players in foul trouble? You better be keeping up with those yourself. Tre Jones hits how many free throws in a row, all needed to keep our working margin? Ditto. Duke is giving up some stuff inside so we can cover the threes? Who cares?

At least we know Carey can score inside and Cassius can jump.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The Duke-Syracuse TV announcers tonight spent less time actually talking about what was happening on the court than any duo I have ever had the displeasure to hear. Even Dickie V has never been this bad.

The Duke players in foul trouble? You better be keeping up with those yourself. Tre Jones hits how many free throws in a row, all needed to keep our working margin? Ditto. Duke is giving up some stuff inside so we can cover the threes? Who cares?

At least we know Carey can score inside and Cassius can jump.
    Not sure who was worse tonight, the announcers or the officials
    Split screen Corey Alexander mourning Kobe while the game was happening nearly a week out was...something. ESPN is maudlin.