Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    The comments on Bilas are similar to folks who talk about Duke getting all the calls. It is not about the volume of fouls called, it's all about when they are called, and what was happening in the game at that moment. The anti-Duke crowd will always say that a game could have had equal fouls called, but the calls against the other team will always either kill an inevitable comeback or fuel a Duke comeback. The fouls called on Duke are meaningless yet the ones called on the opponent are game changing.

I think Jay is fine, but I don't really get too worked up about these things.

One guy I really like is Jimmy Dykes. I know he has the Kentucky connections, but I think he's smart and points out interesting stuff about the game. I think about him calling our comeback against Louisville last season and he recognized, pretty early, that the game was far from over and Duke was showing signs of life.

Another guy I like, who is supposedly part of the ACCN, is Dalen Cuff. I heard him doing analysis for secondary and tertiary ESPN games over the years and thought he was great. I think he's an up-and-comer.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The comments on Bilas are similar to folks who talk about Duke getting all the calls. It is not about the volume of fouls called, it's all about when they are called, and what was happening in the game at that moment. The anti-Duke crowd will always say that a game could have had equal fouls called, but the calls against the other team will always either kill an inevitable comeback or fuel a Duke comeback. The fouls called on Duke are meaningless yet the ones called on the opponent are game changing.

I think Jay is fine, but I don't really get too worked up about these things.

One guy I really like is Jimmy Dykes. I know he has the Kentucky connections, but I think he's smart and points out interesting stuff about the game. I think about him calling our comeback against Louisville last season and he recognized, pretty early, that the game was far from over and Duke was showing signs of life.

Another guy I like, who is supposedly part of the ACCN, is Dalen Cuff. I heard him doing analysis for secondary and tertiary ESPN games over the years and thought he was great. I think he's an up-and-comer.
    I really like Dykes, too, and wish he did more of our games.

I don't get too worked up about Jay, either, though I do think it's unfortunate that he has let his schtick increasingly define his public persona, as he is definitely still capable of lucid and insightful analysis when so inspired.

Separately, while I tend to agree with Jay philosophically with regard to the NCAA, I find many of the arguments he makes on those issues to be excessive and/or unconvincing. In other words, I would never hire him as a lawyer.
    Last edited by luvdahops; Today at 05:52 PM.