Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Unofficial 2019-2020 Announcer Thread

Please post your thoughts about broadcast announcers (Bilas, Shulman, Elmore, Dykes, Gman, Vitale, Musberger, etc.) here and not in the postgame threads!

Could we have a separate thread for only Bilas?😀

I like unofficial announcers.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I think there’s a slight chance Billy Packer didn’t love Duke, and once in a blue moon it showed.

How many minutes will each announcer get in Duke games this year?

Personally, I hope Elmore gets benched. Vitale bought me beer one night after a Duke game because I had on a Duke shirt, so I have to reluctantly give him somewhat of a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    How many minutes will each announcer get in Duke games this year?

Personally, I hope Elmore gets benched. Vitale bought me beer one night after a Duke game because I had on a Duke shirt, so I have to reluctantly give him somewhat of a pass.
    Vitale gets a pass when you're at the game BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO HIM in that situation.

otherwise, no pass....same schtick every game and has almost nothing to do with the game he's ostensibly broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Vitale gets a pass when you're at the game BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO HIM in that situation.

otherwise, no pass...same schtick every game and has almost nothing to do with the game he's ostensibly broadcasting.
    But, but, he bought me beer.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    But, but, he bought me beer.
    That IS cool, I'll admit...but the pass you give him is for being a good guy, not a good announcer...

Why did you bring up Elmore? It's early in the year,and I had forgotten about him

So Where's Jay

It hit me last night that I hadn't seen Jay Williams at all this year. Have I just missed him, or did he move onto something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    It hit me last night that I hadn't seen Jay Williams at all this year. Have I just missed him, or did he move onto something else?
    He's off the college basketball beat and on to the NBA.

Hollywood Reporter: Jay Williams Inks Multiyear Extension with ESPN/ABC

The sportscaster has inked a multiyear extension with ESPN/ABC and will continue to serve as a contributing analyst on NBA Countdown, The Jump and also the morning show Get Up. He also will continue to host ESPN+'s Kevin Durant-produced series The Boardroom while developing his own original television projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    OK, maybe my timing has just been off. I Googled Jay to see what was going in, and ESPN says he still works for them. I thought I was watching enough basketball - maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    He's off the college basketball beat and on to the NBA.

Hollywood Reporter: Jay Williams Inks Multiyear Extension with ESPN/ABC
    OK, thanks. I've watched a few pro games but just hadn't come across him yet.

The in-studio chat with Uncle FesterSeth is shriek-worthy run out of the room material. Such a buffoon. So bad even Vitale was calling him out last night, albeit couched in the usual "But I love Seth" drivel.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That IS cool, I'll admit...but the pass you give him is for being a good guy, not a good announcer...
    i'll take vitali's enthusiasm, annoying as it may be, over Bilas' holier-than-thou lecturing any day.

He focuses on what he loves about the game instead of what's wrong with it, and to some degree, that enthusiasm is contagious.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i'll take vitali's enthusiasm, annoying as it may be, over Bilas' holier-than-thou lecturing any day.

He focuses on what he loves about the game instead of what's wrong with it, and to some degree, that enthusiasm is contagious.
    This 100%

Jay's anti-NCAA rants both on TV and online are getting old (especially considering how he makes a living)
    Jay's anti-Duke statements during games are annoying, at best

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

I can't stomach Vitale's irrelevant banter. I don't quite understand the Bilas hate. And I agree with his NCAA rants.

Again, I am in the minority I guess.

Give me Bilas over Vitale all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    This 100%

Jay's anti-NCAA rants both on TV and online are getting old (especially considering how he makes a living)
    Jay's anti-Duke statements during games are annoying, at best

I'm on this team. I often have to mute Jay entirely. I just turn down the volume on Dickie V!

I really do not get the anti-Bilas sentiment on this board. I thought he did a nice job last night discussing what both teams did well and what they did badly. I also thought it was completely appropriate to call out the refs the way he did. All announcers do it and it is probably one of the easier ways to fill air time, which they all are supposed to do. I appreciate that Bilas is a complete professional and not just a homer and I have never felt that he went way overboard the other way as some have said. I know people were upset with him when he talked about why the NCAA was not going to wade into the UNC cheating mess, but he made really good points about why the NCAA would want to stay out of that minefield and his analysis was spot on. I will admit I have a fond spot for Jay. He was a freshman at Duke my second year at law school there and he played his heart out, really maximizing his skills as an undersized big man.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    I really do not get the anti-Bilas sentiment on this board. I thought he did a nice job last night discussing what both teams did well and what they did badly. I also thought it was completely appropriate to call out the refs the way he did. All announcers do it and it is probably one of the easier ways to fill air time, which they all are supposed to do. I appreciate that Bilas is a complete professional and not just a homer and I have never felt that he went way overboard the other way as some have said. I know people were upset with him when he talked about why the NCAA was not going to wade into the UNC cheating mess, but he made really good points about why the NCAA would want to stay out of that minefield and his analysis was spot on. I will admit I have a fond spot for Jay. He was a freshman at Duke my second year at law school there and he played his heart out, really maximizing his skills as an undersized big man.
    Well you're gonna have to agree to disagree with pretty much the entire board. Bilas does call out refs, but when an apparent bad call helps Duke, he goes on and on and on and on and on about it...when it goes against Duke, he mentions it once, then onto the next thing. This is blatant and quantifiable. And it's not that he's just not a homer - he is WAAAY off the charts in the other direction. Again, quantifable.