Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I really like the way Carey posts up. I think he’s going to be a real force inside and put up a lot of points against most every front line we play this year. Tonight may the toughest he sees all season and he still had a solid game.
    Ditto. Who does Carey remind you of? I’m trying to come up with a comp for him for some of the other bigs we’ve had recently and I just can’t put my finger on it.

Anyway, great win for the guys and great to be in Cameron North for this one. Business as usual for the Blue Devils in the Big Apple.

Great to start off the season with a top 5 win!

Defense looks great, especially considering all the freshmen. Getting 28 turnovers out of Kansas is exceptional. We are going to have to shoot better, and we had 16 turnovers our selves, so we'll have to be stronger with the ball. We seemed to rush some things at times, especially the freshmen (nerves), and a few times players were stuck having to do things they are not comfortable doing. I think we'll see a great improvement over the course of the season.

Of the returning players, I thought Tre, Jack and Alex played very well. Alex's scoring in the first half kept us in it, and Tre & Jack's play, especially in the second half with clutch free throws, big buckets, key rebounds, and timely steals, made the winning difference. Javin still has some issues with fouls and not having good hands, but the kid plays his arse off. Jordan got his first start, but didn't play his best... nerves perhaps. Too bad Joey didn't get in, his shooting looked great in the exhibition.

Of the freshmen, Cassius, Vernon, and Matthew had good stretches. I think Wendell was pressing a lot. Once he settles in and starts letting the game come to him, he'll be good. Cassius was good at both ends of the floor. Vernon too, actually. Matthew can really shoot, but he is not as far along defensively as his fellow freshmen, so he was subbed out for Jack late.

The lineup that we seemed to go with most late was Tre, Jack, Vernon, Alex, and Cassius.

Go Duke!!!!!
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 11-05-2019 at 10:40 PM. Reason: oopsy
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Basically think this was a case of our strengths matching up ideally with their weaknesses. Kansas basically has a scoring guard and nobody else to handle the ball.

But it was also interesting that for all our forced turnovers barely any led to run outs or easy baskets. Be very interested to see how we match up with a more ball secure team.
    Kansas seems to have Lurch-1, Lurch-2 and Lurch-3. Should probably play only one at a time, but the team is not deep in guards or wings.

Saw less of Matthew Hurt than I would have liked. Presumably, he and Jack White were alternating so we could keep more muscle on the court against the big lugs. Both should play.

And while Jack White bricked his first shot, he made one and had one go totally around the run before rolling off. Jack should keep shooting.

Freshmen Carey, Hurt and Stanley were six out of ten from three-point range. I'm loving it!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It's super tough to come to any reliable conclusions after a game like this. It's the first game for two teams in the top 5, so there are going to be rust, jitters, mistakes, etc. I'm watching it right now in real time in the KY-MSU game. Except that game is a foul-fest rather than a turnover-fest.

It's also tough because we've got last season's unbelievable freshmen in our minds and none of these kids are Zion or RJ.

That said, I wasn't sure what to expect out of the game, but I liked most of what I saw. They played some disruptive defense most of the time, and held their own against a pretty massive front line. They shot just well enough from 3. They battled and didn't give up when they were down by 9 or so in the 2nd, nor did they rest on their laurels when they went up by 6 or so in the first.

They forced nearly 30 turnovers. (I can confidently say they were forced, because even the soft turnovers by KU were the result of some solid possession defense)

Best of all they won with solid defense down the stretch, clutch rebounds and free throw shooting at the end of the game. Sure, it wasn't a 30+ point blowout like last year's Kentucky game, but as we saw, that game wasn't exactly a predictor of future success.

This year's Duke team will have ups and downs, but I suspect the effort will always be there and the defense will get better as the season goes on, provided everyone stays healthy.

As for individual efforts:

Tre played very good defense for the most part, but gave up some blow bys. His shot is still a work in progress... hopefully that's more about the longer 3 point line than him.

Goldwire had good energy, but is still a liability on offense. He doesn't make great decisions with the ball yet.

Hurt played as good as advertised, but he's a bit thin and will need to get stronger if he wants to battle inside.

Carey is a BIG boy, but doesn't seem to realize it yet. His overall game reminds me a bit of Wendell Carter with the stretch aspect, but he doesn't have the same moves or defensive acumen yet.

Stanley was solid. Coming in, I had heard some of the hype, but wasn't sure how he'd do at this level after his late rise/surprise commitment. Very active on defense, finished well and even knocked down a 3. Hopefully that wasn't an outlier.

AOC played fairly well - still has some lapses on defense. But his follow dunk was great, and he was able to hit some threes when we needed them.

White will make a few glue guy/blue collar/lunch pail teams. It was good to see him hit a three and he should have had 2 with the one that rimmed out. But he also had a game clinching steal against an opponent that was way larger than him.

Delaurier was Delaurier. Lots of energy. Lots of hustle. Solid defense. Lots of fouls and some missed bunnies. I didn't see a ton of improvement over the last few seasons, but we don't really need him to be more than what he is. Just glad he didn't seem to be too hurt after he landed hard.

Moore didn't impress me a ton - lots of poor decisions on offense. Some terrible contested fadeaway shots. Missed layups. Foul trouble. Weak with the ball. Maybe it was freshman jitters. We'll see... But right now, I see Stanley supplanting him as a starter.

As for Joey Baker, I agree with proelitedota - game was likely too big to see Baker in there. Let's see how he does against lesser teams and if he can earn some minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Ditto. Who does Carey remind you of? I’m trying to come up with a comp for him for some of the other bigs we’ve had recently and I just can’t put my finger on it.

Anyway, great win for the guys and great to be in Cameron North for this one. Business as usual for the Blue Devils in the Big Apple.
    Wendell Carter for me - especially with the range to the three point line.

5 thoughts...

(preface - love that college hoops has started again!)

1. Ugly game. Duke's D was good, but KU absolutely was terrible with the ball as well, not all caused by Duke alone. Before anyone declares this team the 2nd coming of the '92 team, let's see how they do against other competition. Seriously, KU made some questionable plays with the ball (as did Duke - their 16 turnovers isn't so great, either).

2. Jones - he scored and hit the FTs to seal the game. But overall I was really hoping to see a better shooting game out of him. He looked a lot like the player from last year.

3. Hurt, Carey, AOC - take more 3's, boys! This team needs to have shots go down, especially if K continues to use the Jones/JGold combo a lot. It's ok for a few minutes here and there, but only if the other guys are shooters. Then the guards can drive and dish.

4. I'm fearing another year of questionable FT shooting. It sunk the Devils last year (I loved Barrett, but his missed FT killed the season against MSU). Missed FTs take years off my life.

5. I liked the new rules - the 3 pt line, the reduced shot clock after an offensive board. Of course, the new 3 pt line is going to make it all the harder on Jones. I have a really negative thought in my head with a comparison to a former OSU PG... Jones is not that bad (at least he can hit FTs), but for Duke to win big this year, he's going to need to be effective from 3.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Anyone else see Cassius Stanley‘s game and have flashbacks to Ricky Price?

Great opening win, with everyone already mentioning the obvious need for the O to be more cohesive and the D to continue being our strength.
    I like him as a modern day Thomas Hill.

I am all in on Cassius Stanley. Love his game.

Unrelated, what is Will Avery’s role on the staff?

My biggest takeaway from the game was that the team didn't fold like a cheap suit when KU started so hot in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure why KU is ranked as high as they are. They don't seem to have any outside shooting and I'm not sure pounding the ball down low with guys who have trouble hitting free throws is a recipe for success.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    My biggest takeaway from the game was that the team didn't fold like a cheap suit when KU started so hot in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure why KU is ranked as high as they are. They don't seem to have any outside shooting and I'm not sure pounding the ball down low with guys who have trouble hitting free throws is a recipe for success.
    Shaquille O'Neal has a bone to pick with you.

Seriously, Kansas will overwhelm most teams inside. I thought Duke did a reasonably good job of not getting totally abused inside. Didn't hurt that the refs seemed to be a lot harder on posts players than perimeter guys when it came to shuffling/dragging pivot feet. Also, I think Dotson will dominate most guards they play. Not Jones though. Just the fact that Dotson looked pretty solid vs prob the best perimeter defender in CBB says a lot.

Agreed. I was shocked when a Goldwire got burned not once, but twice on backdoors.
    actually he got burned 3 times but who is counting !

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post

Agreed on the first point. There was a moment when that game was really teetering on the brink of getting out of hand, and our focus to bear down and get back in the game was really wonderful to see. Hard to instill that kind of toughness if it's not already there!

I think that, while Kansas isn't a great shooting team, they aren't as bad as they looked tonight. It was overshadowed by the turnovers tonight, but I thought we did an absolutely fantastic job of both running guys off the three-point line and then recovering to prevent the drive. I bet that Kansas looks a lot better against teams that aren't as active defensively, and that they end up as a top-ten team going into the tournament.

(redacted) Can jay bilas tone down the “trying to look impartial so I can’t stand duke” nonsense?

EVERY Kansas turnover: “oh my GOD these UNFORCED ERRORS!”

EVERY Duke turnover: “wow! Kansas defense is sensational! Duke has a bad offense! Bad! Wow!”

Infuriating to the point where I had to mute my TV to enjoy an entertaining basketball game.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 11-06-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I figured it was because I was flipping over to Avatar during commercials.
    Blue Self.jpg

Anyone else see Cassius Stanley‘s game and have flashbacks to Ricky Price?
    Sort of has some Cory Magette in his game.
    I was thinking the same thing as you both - flashes of Ricky Price and Corey Magette. His 7 point spurt was huge in this game. Sign me up for the Cassius Stanley fan club!

Currently watching MSU and Kentucky . . . this year looks wide-open.

Gotta love when 40 minutes into the regular season DBR posters are proclaiming what this team is good and not good at. It must be basketball season!!!

I'm not going to take much out of this game. But the few things I will take...

1) our defense is ahead of our offense
    2) we don't appear to have anyone who is truly miles ahead skill-wise
    3) 3pt shooting is not clearly fixed since last year and Tre still cant shoot

That's about all from me. But I'm obviously jazzed and enjoyed watching the team in person tonight.

Should be a fun year with a lot of ups and downs.

- Chillin

If we had last years team this year I think we’d be cutting down the nets in April. Seems like a bad year of college basketball, or at least the most parity that we’ve seen in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Jesus. Freaking. Christ. Can jay bilas tone down the “trying to look impartial so I can’t stand duke” nonsense?

EVERY Kansas turnover: “oh my GOD these UNFORCED ERRORS!”

EVERY Duke turnover: “wow! Kansas defense is sensational! Duke has a bad offense! Bad! Wow!”

Infuriating to the point where I had to mute my TV to enjoy an entertaining basketball game.
    I gave up on giving any credence to Jay Bilas’s comments about Duke’s basketball teams more than 20 years ago. I’m surprised it took you this long.

This

Stanley might end up being the highest drafted player from this team.

nah.. remember, he's 2 years older than Wendell Moore. He could be a Junior in college. Zion Williamson is an entire year younger than him. NBA looks at that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Gotta love when 40 minutes into the regular season DBR posters are proclaiming what this team is good and not good at. It must be basketball season!!!

I'm not going to take much out of this game. But the few things I will take...

1) our defense is ahead of our offense
    2) we don't appear to have anyone who is truly miles ahead skill-wise
    3) 3pt shooting is not clearly fixed since last year and Tre still cant shoot

That's about all from me. But I'm obviously jazzed and enjoyed watching the team in person tonight.

Should be a fun year with a lot of ups and downs.

- Chillin
    In general, I agree. This was our first test against a solid oponent with strong bigs and good athletes. To me, I saw little coordination in the offense with the exception of a couple of fast breaks Jones to Stanley. Our defense was energetic and will improve. Jack White will get a lot of PT just based on his court awareness and smart tough defense.

I too see the mainstays of our lineup, if not starters, to be Jones, Stanley, Carey, White and Hurt. Iwonder about Joey not getting in but am not willing to draw any conclusions as to why as he would have seemed to be a logical player in this game.Maybe just illness or injury.

I was disappointed with DeLaurier's play. He has a lot of experience but showed little offensive capability, missed most of his FT and fouled way too much. Moore looked a little raw, but is strong and athletic and maybe will come along given time. Jones approach to driving into the trees without a plan seemed to be freshman like.