Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 68, Kansas 66 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Coach K's like Derek Jeter, guys. Mr. November. Don't doubt it.

6-3 in the Champions Classic now. Guaranteed best record no matter what happens in the MSU-UK game.

Defense wins championships.

Surprised it was this close, a great game to watch.

The journey this year is clearly how we establish a rhythm and flow on offense.

Big sigh of relief here in Jayhawk country.

Great defensive effort. Definitely a team win. We have a fun team to watch though shooting may cause occasional heartburn

Fantastic defensive show. Really good fightback after the big deficit early in the second. Thought it might slip away then, but we tightened back up, hit some big shots (Carey's three was, I thought, HUGE), and took it to them defensively the rest of the way. Great win. Plenty of time to fine-tune the offense a bit!

I'm still tallying up the KU TOs.

Great win tho.

If you had told me we shot 37% FG with 33% 3s, 61% FT, outrebounded by 10 and won the game, I'd think you were a lunatic.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

It was ugly but that’s a good win. Cassius Stanley with a solid game and probably cements a spot in the starting lineup. His lateral quickness on D is something special.

Not pretty, but ultimately effective. Hopefully the defense will persist and the offense will get better. But regardless, it is always nice to win a hard-fought game against - possibly - a top-5 caliber opponent. I say possibly only because we have little idea how good KU really is.

Big win to get the season started. Was fun to watch some new faces step up to the plate!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Early thoughts (I'll be writing a more in-depth article at some point tomorrow):

—People can complain about Jack White's shot all they want. I could care less. That man makes winning plays that may not show up in the box score. He was the difference defensively down the stretch, and his ability to play both the 3 and the 4 will be big.

—Hurt and Carey should be our primary offensive options this year, but as bigs it's going to take them a bit longer to develop. Despite the poor offensive showing, both of them showed enough flashes that I'm optimistic that our offense will develop.

—Stanley and AOC both stepped up and seized their opportunities. And that's ideal, since they provide different skill sets on the wing. Our best lineup looks like it may involve them, at least early in the season.

—We never notice FTs except for when we miss them, so let's please not overlook that Tre made four CLUTCH FTs in the last minute.

—It was sloppy, but most of Kansas' turnovers were FORCED. That's indicative of how good this defense can be. If we're holding teams to 60-70 points a game, we don't have to be an offensive juggernaut to win. That may be our identity this year, and I'm all for it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

not pretty but we're scrappy and beat a very good and experienced team. I think our ceiling hinges on our ability to convert from 3. we don't need to be great at it. it just can't be a weak point. average is good enough and with the defense and Vernon inside, ACC title and FF within sight.

So according to the article on the first page, Coach K just became the winningest coach at any level, but he's not close to several NBA guys. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    So according to the article on the first page, Coach K just became the winningest coach at any level, but he's not close to several NBA guys. What am I missing?
    probably means any level within collegiate basketball D1-2-3 NAIA JUCO

Huge win. Jack white really came through for us. Cassius and Matthew played really well in their first college game, and the defense looked mostly great. Really looking forward to seeing what this team can accomplish this season. GO DUKE!

Stanley, Hurt, Carey were 12-26 from the field and 6-10 from 3.

You can't win a game with 28 turnovers against a decent opponent. I wonder if that going to be an issue for Kansas this year. Tre Jones can do every thing extremely well except shoot from outside. White had a good game. We should have someone punch him in the mouth before every shot maybe, as he hit a nice three after taking a hit. Otherwise, he is not a shooter. Nice game from Stanley, after he settled down and he was out on the floor at at least some of the end, some nice moments from Hurt, and DeLaurier helped today, doing good DeLaurier things. Some nice offense from O'Connell. Moore still learning. Carey played well, especially for his first division I game, and even hit two threes. I noticed that his shot is on target, but lacks spin/arc. If he could develop those and get some good bounces...I don't wonder if shooting is going to be an issue this year. That's because it is going to be an issue this year.

There is SO MUCH to improve. We were sloppy with the ball, shot terribly, consistently made bad decisions on drives and kick-outs. But other than the few easy backdoors (that were corrected late in the game) and Carey getting caught asleep in some drives, not much to complain about the defense. If we can defend like this consistently, we'll be very good. If we put the offense together, we'll be great.

So I am going to say when you put 2 football guys on the broadcast team for the champions classic I suppose it's not a surprise they spend the whole break between two amazing basketball games talking about football. Hm.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If you had told me we shot 37% FG with 33% 3s, 61% FT, outrebounded by 10 and won the game, I'd think you were a lunatic.
    Duke's horrible shooting...was less than 50% FTs until right at the end...was offset by KU turnovers.

Good to see all 5 players contributing on both ends for most of the game!