Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallbladder Surgery

Going to be having laparoscopic gallbladder surgery in the very near future. That being said, anyone have any experience with it (eating afterward, how soon were you back to work/normal activity)?

While I trust what the Dr tells me, I like to hear other peoples experiences. Thanks in advance!

It is extremely routine. You should be on your feet in no time. The hardest part of recovery is not over-doing it for a few weeks because you feel pretty normal. At least that was my experience when it was done (I was 51).

Food is different for different people. I saw no difference although I do not think I handle fatty breakfasts as well as I did in the past.

Feel free to PM me. And good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It is extremely routine. You should be on your feet in no time. The hardest part of recovery is not over-doing it for a few weeks because you feel pretty normal. At least that was my experience when it was done (I was 51).

Food is different for different people. I saw no difference although I do not think I handle fatty breakfasts as well as I did in the past.

Feel free to PM me. And good luck!
    Thanks... I have heard a couple horror stories. I'm a month shy of 34, so I should bounce back rather quickly. Hopefully soon enough get in a couple rounds of golf before winter sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Thanks... I have heard a couple horror stories. I'm a month shy of 34, so I should bounce back rather quickly. Hopefully soon enough get in a couple rounds of golf before winter sets in.
    Hit 'em long and strong.

I think I took pain pills for about 48 hours, your abdomen will be sore. Again, everyone's mileage varied. I was going to the gym a lot when the surgery happened, and was mainly concerned with losing form (such as I have one) by laying off a few weeks. Rest is a wonderful healer though.

Hit 'em long and strong.

I think I took pain pills for about 48 hours, your abdomen will be sore. Again, everyone's mileage varied. I was going to the gym a lot when the surgery happened, and was mainly concerned with losing form (such as I have one) by laying off a few weeks. Rest is a wonderful healer though.
    Patient: I know I'm really overweight, Doc. I need to get in shape.

Doc: Round is a shape.

(Office closes at 500 PM today.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

I aways knew that you are my kind of Doc. 🔘🔴😎

Going to be having laparoscopic gallbladder surgery in the very near future. That being said, anyone have any experience with it (eating afterward, how soon were you back to work/normal activity)?

While I trust what the Dr tells me, I like to hear other peoples experiences. Thanks in advance!
    My wife had laproscopic surgery five days ago. She was pretty zonked out for the first 24-36 hours or so but has steadily improved since then. Her appetite didn't really come back until yesteray. She's walking around a decent amount as well. I think she was off the pain pills two days afterward, except maybe once or twice to help sleep better at night.

One of my kids had laproscopic surgery earlier this year (appendix) and it was a similar timetable. Not his usual self for the first two days or so, but perked up a good bit after that.

Good luck!

Going to be having laparoscopic gallbladder surgery in the very near future.
    I don't have any experience, but I hope your gallbladder surgery is performed perfectly and you recover very quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

When I round into form, I REALLY round into form.

(Or is that, I form into round?)

When I round into form, I REALLY round into form.

(Or is that, I form into round?)
    When he sits around the house, he sits AROUND the house!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Had it done ~16 years ago, at the age of 39. It was quite routine. I recall missing a few days of work afterwards, and it taking a few weeks to fully recover my appetite, but no major ill effects. I would imagine it is even more routine these days.

Just remember my definition of major surgery—any surgery being done on me.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Just remember my definition of major surgery—any surgery being done on me.
    Minor surgery is any operation on a child 17 or younger.

The surgeon and other people not having it done to them will tell you it is routine and you are probably expected to only spend a few hours at the hospital/clinic and be sent home. From the outside, it will look very minor with very small holes patched up. However, they are going inside your guts where sharp things are not supposed to be and cutting stuff out. It will hurt and you will take at least a few days to heal.

Avoid comedy clubs (and serious laughing in general) for a few days after.

-jk

My sister in law had a “lap choly” a few years ago. It helped her immensely. She had a fair amount of discomfort in her upper abdomen and shoulder/neck area for a few days afterward because of the gas that’s pumped into the abdomen to create room for the surgeon to perform the procedure. But again it dissipated within a couple days, and she was happy about the outcome.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

surgery

I had mine in my late 30s, day surgery, don't recall being out of action much if at all. I was warned by others who had had the surgery that your ability to "hold" bathroom urges can be much more limited or as one person put it "always know where the nearest bathroom is". Fortunately though I did not really experience that affect. Otherwise no issues whatsoever since.

Just make clear which organ they're working on.

Had mine last year at age 72. First day afterwards felt like I had done 1000 sit-ups, next day 500, and so on. No real pain and no real change in eating habits. Flew cross country exactly one week later with no problem and started playing golf again within 2 1/2 weeks with zero pain or any other side effects. Hope you have a similar experience.

Got everything squared away for outpatient laparoscopic surgery on Nov. 22nd.... So I I'll be ready to punish the the Thanksgiving spread the following week.

Between all the feedback and laughs from this thread and talking to my surgeon, I'm actually looking forward to surgery and getting back to normal.