Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm Not Going to Jinx It" Thread, 2019-20 College Basketball Edition

With the 2019-20 college hoops season upon us, it's jinx-avoidance time. For the uninitiated, if there appears to be an upset on the horizon, this is the place to talk about anything *except* the upset, so as not to jinx the outcome. Usually that means oblique references to what is happening without actually coming out and saying, "Underdog X is about to defeat Favorite Y, and isn't that awesome?!" But mostly it's to have fun with the season's happenings.

This thread used to be Ultrarunner's baby, but he bequeathed it. I hope he returns to the boards soon.

Enjoy!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    With the 2019-20 college hoops season upon us, it's jinx-avoidance time. For the uninitiated, if there appears to be an upset on the horizon, this is the place to talk about anything *except* the upset, so as not to jinx the outcome. Usually that means oblique references to what is happening without actually coming out and saying, "Underdog X is about to defeat Favorite Y, and isn't that awesome?!" But mostly it's to have fun with the season's happenings.

This thread used to be Ultrarunner's baby, but he bequeathed it. I hope he returns to the boards soon.

Enjoy!
    You'll be a great host, especially with your vast experience hosting the Virtual Pub...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You'll be a great host, especially with your vast experience hosting the Virtual Pub...

"Vast"? Hardly. I tend to be a somewhat more, ummm, spartan kat.

Iz-zat-zo?

Half-vast?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Half-vast?
    That would be me, not TW.

2019-2020 "I'm not going to jinx it" thread

I just noticed that there isn't yet an "I'm not going to jinx it" thread, so I thought I would remedy that situation.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, I'll give you a primer. You might be watching a game in which, say, Kentucky is down by 6 or 8 points to, I don't know, maybe Georgia or somebody. You are excited that perhaps Kentucky will lose the game. So you come to DBR and post something like "Kentucky about to go down!" As soon as you do that, Kentucky storms back, destroys Georgia and wins going away. What happened? You jinxed the game.

A few years ago somebody came up with the brilliant idea of having an "I'm not going to jinx it" thread. The idea is that when you see Kentucky is down by 6 or 8 points to Georgia, you bring that situation to our attention, but in a subtle way that won't jinx the outcome. So, for example, instead of posting "Arkansas is going to beat Kentucky!" or "Kentucky is going down!" you might post something like "Dogs chase cats, right?" (or perhaps something a lot more clever but that conveys the same idea). This tells everybody that Georgia is ahead and that an upset might occur without putting a jinx on the game.

Anyway, that's the idea. We have had an open thread going throughout the basketball season for several years now. I was surprised to not see one already started. I apologize if starting the thread was somebody else's job (might have been Tripping William that started the original thread years ago, but don't quote me on that).
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I just noticed that there isn't yet an "I'm not going to jinx it" thread, so I thought I would remedy that situation.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, I'll give you a primer. You might be watching a game in which, say, Kentucky is down by 6 or 8 points to, I don't know, maybe Georgia or somebody. You are excited that perhaps Kentucky will lose the game. So you come to DBR and post something like "Kentucky about to go down!" As soon as you do that, Kentucky storms back, destroys Georgia and wins going away. What happened? You jinxed the game.

A few years ago somebody came up with the brilliant idea of having an "I'm not going to jinx it" thread. The idea is that when you see Kentucky is down by 6 or 8 points to Georgia, you bring that situation to our attention, but in a subtle way that won't jinx the outcome. So, for example, instead of posting "Arkansas is going to beat Kentucky!" or "Kentucky is going down!" you might post something like "Dogs chase cats, right?" (or perhaps something a lot more clever but that conveys the same idea). This tells everybody that Georgia is ahead and that an upset might occur without putting a jinx on the game.

Anyway, that's the idea. We have had an open thread going throughout the basketball season for several years now. I was surprised to not see one already started. I apologize if starting the thread was somebody else's job (might have been Tripping William that started the original thread years ago, but don't quote me on that).
    Actually, my Ymm, Beer buddy, Tripping William, started the 2019-20 edition several days ago and I found it buried on page 4.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...etball-Edition

I believe it was UltraRunner who started the original thread several years ago and TW revived the tradition this year and maybe for the last couple years. All good/fun stuff.
    Last edited by devildeac; 11-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.

It's okay. Early season rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's okay. Early season rust.
    That should never sleep. My, My, Hey, Hey. That sure came Out of the Blue.

It's Neil's 74th Birthday today

That should never sleep. My, My, Hey, Hey. That sure came Out of the Blue.

Well timed!

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Well timed!
    Pure coincidence.

Thought Aces were either red or black.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

Hope tonight they are purple. And wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Hope tonight they are purple. And wild.
    Now, now. No need to be Katty.

X-actly what game are y'all watching?

Wow, Life of Riley.

X-actly what game are y'all watching?
    Watchin' the 'Ville.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Watchin' the 'Ville.
    I’m watching the other side of the state.

SECN worth seeing with 7.9 left . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Might take 4 hours and 30 minutes to play the last :43 of this one.