Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Welcome to Duke AJ Griffin!

Last edited by -jk; 11-04-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: clarity

Outstanding!

He just turned 16 in August. He already looks like a grown man.

Holy schnikees! That’s awesome! Welcome to the Brotherhood, AJ!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

From all the reports I have read, this kid is special special special! Potential #1 pick in the draft.

What a huge signing, especially this early. Here's to his continued health and development.

With he and teammate RJ Davis, it's a bit like a Gerald Henderon/Wayne Ellington scenario in terms of friends and teammates headed to opposite sides of the 15-501 rivalry...although Davis is a senior this year.

Welcome aboard, AJ. I hope to catch you in person this season.

But can he shoot the three?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Hopefully by 2021, he can profit from using his own likeness.

Spanish announcers make everything better.

HUGE!! Sets up 2021 to bring in elite talent - at least Patrick Baldwin and Max Christie -- to go with A.J. Great combination with 2020 class and an amazing 21-22 team!

Welcome, A.J.! You have already demonstrated strong leadership by committing now.

What a great start to the week! Welcome AJ!

Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

From all the reports I have read, this kid is special special special! Potential #1 pick in the draft.

A class of Kuminga, Banchero, Baldwin, AJ, and Christie would be the #1 recruiting class of all time. Best part: all 5 can start.

However I suspect that at least one of Roach and Steward will stay so that might turn off one of the guys from committing.

Awesome! Guess we're moving to 2021 with 6 (six!) 2020 recruits.

Can anyone provide a breakdown of AJ's game? Is he a Winslow/Moore, a Luke Kennard, a Cam Reddish? Please don't say he's the first AJ Griffin...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

9:48am...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

10:10am...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

Oops... ...I've never accidentally double posted. Well, at least that no one can prove anyway.

Welcome to Duke, A J Griffin!! I love it when we get an early start on the NEXT next year's recruiting while we're still reeling in next year's recruits.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Can anyone provide a breakdown of AJ's game? Is he a Winslow/Moore, a Luke Kennard, a Cam Reddish? Please don't say he's the first AJ Griffin...
    Well he is a Jr. so technically he is the second AJ Griffin.

As long as we're addressing hackneyed cliches, is there any chance of a reclass?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    As long as we're addressing hackneyed cliches, is there any chance of a reclass?
    Seems unlikely given that next year's class is already loaded, and especially loaded at his position.

I want to first say that there's very little in terms of scouting on this kid, and It's difficult to project his weaknesses based on the highlight videos currently available. However, based on the information we have, my impression of him is RJ Barrett with a jump shot . . .

I'm aware that sounds fairly ridiculous, but this guy's game doesn't appear to have any weaknesses. He was 6'4" his freshman year, and since then grown 3 inches, but he's still an extremely good ball handler for his size with the passing vision to go with it. He's physically built like RJ or Justise Winslow already with a very solid frame and long arms, he plays hard on defense, and gets a ton of steals and blocks using his instincts and length. He's VERY strong driving to the basket, at least against his age group. He's able to initiate contact going to the rim and finish through it. If he keeps getting stronger, I'm sure he will be able to do the same at the college level. Lastly, he can shoot, both off the catch and off the dribble. He looks like someone you can run your offense through as a primary ball handler, much like RJ.

I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen. I would not be surprised to see Griffin's ranking rise even higher, and I'd be shocked if he does not become a lottery pick in the 2022 NBA draft.
    Last edited by kAzE; 11-04-2019 at 11:08 AM.

This is one of the best articles I've ever read analyzing a high school player's game.

Everyone enjoy.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/10/08/adrian-griffin-jr-deserves-1-pick-consideration/