Echo In The Canyon—Netflix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVFBQHBUls
    For you rock and roll fans (especially those who lived in the 60’s and 70’s), this music documentary is worth a look. It is hosted by Jakob Dylan and contains the last filmed interview of Tom Petty. A lot of this is familiar territory and and I hate to see how some of these folks have aged, but then again I’m surprised David Crosby is still around I enjoyed the more contemporary artists covering some of the old songs. My favorites are “In My Room” by The Beach Boys (Fiona Apple) and “Never My Love” by The Association (Norah Jones).

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    For you rock and roll fans (especially those who lived in the 60’s and 70’s), this music documentary is worth a look. It is hosted by Jakob Dylan and contains the last filmed interview of Tom Petty. A lot of this is familiar territory and and I hate to see how some of these folks have aged, but then again I’m surprised David Crosby is still around I enjoyed the more contemporary artists covering some of the old songs. My favorites are “In My Room” by The Beach Boys (Fiona Apple) and “Never My Love” by The Association (Norah Jones).
    David Crosby is surprised David Crosby is still around.

Saw it and liked it. I was struck by the talent of the Mamas and Papas. I liked them back in the day but their songs have become elevator music to me. Mama Cass had a tremendous voice. I think their music would have been even more powerful if it was deconstructed a bit. The orchestral accompaniment seemed good at the time but I think the voices, harmonies and songs would sound better if a bit more bare boned.

Just watched it (better than my Jets!). Thanks for the recommendation. Loved all these groups, especially Buffalo Springfield (playing them now on Napster).

if you liked "echo in the canyon", check out "the wrecking crew". it's on hulu, but if you find it elsewhere, it's way worth the watch

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    if you liked "echo in the canyon", check out "the wrecking crew". it's on hulu, but if you find it elsewhere, it's way worth the watch
    Loved "The Wrecking Crew". I especially enjoyed the story about a young, Leon Russell confronting the imperial Phil Spector after a lengthy lunch that included some drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Just watched it (better than my Jets!). Thanks for the recommendation. Loved all these groups, especially Buffalo Springfield (playing them now on Napster).
    Loved it, too. Though I couldn't help but think Jakob Dylan and Lebron James Jr. should go on vacation together. That being said, I agree with the general tenor of several conversations. Some of the greats - Mozart or whatever- are of their times and we will have the greats of our times and I mull over who those might be.

Thanks for the recommendation - esp. as I just got one for a Netflix DVD called something like David Crosby: Remember My Name. Turns out it's not on streaming, so I ended up finding Echo in the Canyon instead.

FWIW I had mixed feelings about it. On the positive side, I was really moved by seeing Michelle Phillips being moved by Jade's belting it out on Go Where You Wanna Go. And one of my son's HS friends (who would be about 20 right now) looks SO much like a young Brian Wilson. Another thing, I admit, I'm a sucker for retrospectives and documentaries on music that I like. I like hearing the stories "behind the music" - to coin a phrase, ha ha - and of course the historic performances. That some of the lesser-known (or less-enduring-on-radio) songs were highlighted was nice. Everyone my age has heard California Dreamin' - it's a great song - but I didn't know Go Where You Wanna Go and several others. Loved the frankness of David Crosby. Pacing was pretty good. Jade's voice was a revelation ... hadn't heard of her, but I don't normally listen to modern pop or folk music.

On the negative side, I felt Jakob Dylan was putting himself in the focus of the movie a bit too much. He served as interviewer, interpreter, headlining tribute band performer, tribute album hawker, and ... surprise surprise, executive producer of the documentary. Seemed like he was on camera nearly half the time. And his voice, while steady and respectable, utterly lacked the passion often found in the original recordings he sought to honor. One last thing - there was a moment, I forget exactly what and who, but after one of the elder stars recounted something poignant, the camera lingered on Jakob for his "deeply moved" reaction, reminding me of the self-serving behavior of William Hurt's journalist character in Broadcast News.

Not a reason to ignore it - if you lap up this rock and roll history like me, you'll want to see it anyway. But just be warned, you gotta watch a lot of Jakob Dylan to see your aging heroes.

I Watched it over the weekend and I loved seeing and hearing Tom Petty. I thought it was interesting and well done. The Nexus between the Beatles and The Beach Boys was a cool angle. Now I’m hoping for documentary fast forward to 1968 when Graham Parsons joined the Byrds who subsequently released the seminal country rock record “Sweethearts of the Rodeo” in 1968. Parsons California based “Cosmic American music” kicked off the country rock era in the late 60s and early 70s. also Not only did Sweethearts spawn The Band, The Eagles, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt, etc, but also several of my favorite records from across the pond including “Sticky Fingers” in 1969, “Let it Bleed” in 1971 and the coolest Elton John record, “Tumbleweed Connection” in 1970. Tumbleweed was a country and western concept record released in the UK before Elton John had set foot in America. Of course John’s American lyric writer, Bernie Taupin, was the driving force.

Finally got around to this, been on the “I gotta watch” list for months. Excellent music, interesting even if it dragged a bit at times. Jakob Dylan was an odd but appropriate choice as the center of it.