Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NCAA caves, allows athletes to make money off their likeness

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...rofit-likeness

The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to allow college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There is a chasm of difference between that headline, and this from the piece:

The board directed the three separate divisions of college sports to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports. The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain a priority of the education and the collegiate experience, and that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.
    I don't know why any media organization would take what the NCAA says at face value, and put that in the headline.

Jason getting in on the DBR clickbait scheme.

Expect rams club "suggested" annual membership fees to skyrocket...

(yea, yea, you can fill in the "blank" above with a slew of university names, but, my comment is first and I'm on Mt. Hatemore, so there's that )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

As a long-time veteran of Washington, DC -- I would say, "There's the "'law,' and then there are the 'implementing regulations,' which govern how the law is enforced." We'll see how these turn out in the NCAA context.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As a long-time veteran of Washington, DC -- there's the "law" and then there are the "implementing regulations." We'll see how these evolve in the various NCAA divisions.
    Yeah, the devil will definitely be in the details. I see this as a positive step for the NCAA. Even though I know there will be problems along the way and probably some nasty unintended consequences, this was somewhat inevitable and allowing the athletes to profit a bit off their immense skills seems entirely justified at this point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The NCAA will surely govern this fairly & as superbly as they do in all matters.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    The NCAA will surely govern this fairly & as superbly as they do in all matters.
    And no doubt will ensure they get their cut of the extra monies along the way.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Lawyers Dreams come true

One positive is that we'll have EA sports NCAA bball games again, maybe with Zion as DLC.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    One positive is that we'll have EA sports NCAA bball games again, maybe with Zion as DLC.
    Since Zion hasn't played any real NBA games yet, NCAA should give him 3 more years of eligibility and he can come back a make a zillion$$ off his likeness in a Duke uniform.

Of course, that only works if we have a scholarship available next year.😁

North Carolina senator Richard Burr say that if athletes can make money off their likeness, then their scholarships must be treated like income. He is introducing legislation that will do just that.

https://twitter.com/SenatorBurr/stat...62863552208896

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    North Carolina senator Richard Burr say that if athletes can make money off their likeness, then their scholarships must be treated like income. He is introducing legislation that will do just that.

A truly revealing moment for Burr, as he pulls the sheet back to let us all know exactly how he feels about athletes even scratching the surface of their value in monetary terms.

I wonder if Senator Burr thinks that all scholarships - not just athletic ones - should be treated like income, or nah?
    Last edited by Hingeknocker; 10-29-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Well that would be an IRS issue, and they probably would count it as income, but I don't think Burr has anything to do with that. He's not on House Appropriations...he's not even in the House.

On another issue, you can guarantee that the schools will look at it this way and act accordingly...ie...more brutally on yanking scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well that would be an IRS issue, and they probably would count it as income, but I don't think Burr has anything to do with that. He's not on House Appropriations...he's not even in the House.

On another issue, you can guarantee that the schools will look at it this way and act accordingly...ie...more brutally on yanking scholarships.
    I’m gonna have to disagree on that. They will still be earning those scholarships (public events, practice, games, travel, and so on and so forth). It’s folks who go to school with dozens of scholarships that get to pocket the change - athletes do not.

Btw,

You’re welcome.

Sincerely,

The O’Bannon brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Burr is on the Senate Finance Committee, which has a major say on tax legislation. The relevant House Committee is Ways and Means, and tax bills must originate in the House.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If Burr wasn't a Wake guy I might suspect this as a way to drive college athletes to the lower-cost state schools to reduce the tax burden

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Burr is on the Senate Finance Committee, which has a major say on tax legislation. The relevant House Committee is Ways and Means, and tax bills must originate in the House.
    Even if this happened- some clever lawyers will find a work-around. You would also have to do the same to a musician on scholarship that makes a few buck playing gigs. It also make it more likely that athletes should be treated as employees.

States want the taxes. College tax prep 101 coming to curriculum near you. Either that or academic tutors will have to be get certified by Quicken. UNC is most likely studying the Anderson Consulting guide on hiding Enron losses. Should be interesting. I suppose ‘gifts’ under the 16k cap won’t require reporting. There should be a boosters guide to legal gifting. I’m writing it now; available on Amazon in 2 days.