Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke vs. Fort Valley State (Wed. 10/30 7pm ACCNX) pre-game and in-game thread

We have an exhibition game tomorrow. Fort Valley State is a HBCU playing in Division II. They should be a major step down in competition from the NW Bearcats.

Here's a preseason press release they recently put out:
    https://fvsusports.com/news/2019/10/...h-in-east.aspx

And here's their roster, not a ton of size, as expected.
    https://fvsusports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

I am more interested in how the Duke team will look. Some things I am particularly interested in:

-Last game, we started Tre, Jack White, Vernon, Hurt and Wendell. For reasons we've discussed, Vernon barely played and Cassius and Jordan got more PT than AOC and Baker. The message being that defense was the focus. However, K also played a ton of different line-ups. Will we see any differences in the starting line-up? Stanley for Moore, for example? With Big Doke and DeSousa waiting up in MSG, I'd think that Vernon and Javin are going to get some more run against Fort Valley State regardless of their size, but maybe K doesn't see it that way.

-Will our offense look better, and in what ways will it look better? Will we go back to "Hurt at the elbow" and run the offense through him? Will we get better off ball movement? Will we generate clean, balanced looks from 3? Will we hit them?

And will we see the return of Vernon Carey from CTC? He was a beast on the block in that scrimmage. His footwork and touch in the paint were reminiscent of Okafor and Brand.

I believe we will need dominant inside scoring from him - and an ability to find the open shooter if double teamed - in order to reach our ceiling this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Now that is a cool story!

Hey, that's today!

Very cool story.

That IS a cool story, I assumed there was some reason why Duke chose this particular DII opponent, especially considering they aren't very good.

As for tonight, in addition to the stuff I put in my original post, I am interested in whether or not AOC makes a case for more playing time. 12 minutes in the first exhibition, and being behind Tre, Cassius, Wendell and Jordan in the rotation means he's starting further down the bench then I thought he would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    That IS a cool story, I assumed there was some reason why Duke chose this particular DII opponent, especially considering they aren't very good.

As for tonight, in addition to the stuff I put in my original post, I am interested in whether or not AOC makes a case for more playing time. 12 minutes in the first exhibition, and being behind Tre, Cassius, Wendell and Jordan in the rotation means he's starting further down the bench then I thought he would be.
    I guess Baker is even further down the bench. Someone needs to show the coaching staff they can consistently hit a three point shot. GoDuke!

yes! K's commitment to personal relationships and being a positive influence on the lives of young men is part of what makes me proud to be a Duke fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    yes! K's commitment to personal relationships and being a positive influence on the lives of young men is part of what makes me proud to be a Duke fan.
    I remember playing pick up games with him in the 80’s. Happy to learn where he is now.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    -jk accidentally put the chat link in the NWM thread, since this one, the current game, was so far down the page...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...hp?do=cchatbox

Plenty of room in chat!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    -jk accidentally put the chat link in the NWM thread, since this one, the current game, was so far down the page...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...hp?do=cchatbox

Plenty of room in chat!
    Are there instructions for DBR chat? I only get a black page in Chrome on my android.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I guess Baker is even further down the bench. Someone needs to show the coaching staff they can consistently hit a three point shot. GoDuke!
    Done

Looking way better in this one. Baker doing a great impression of Klay Thompson. The swarming defense has been impressive, and fits our personnel well. This game will be a good confidence boost for next week, obviously against awful competition.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Are there instructions for DBR chat? I only get a black page in Chrome on my android.
    Go to Blue, rather than mobile.

Feeling better about our offense? I think Joey Baker will be in the rotation some way, somehow this season...

An impressive shooting performance from Joey Baker in the 1st half.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Feeling better about our offense? I think Joey Baker will be in the rotation some way, somehow this season...
    I hope you’re right about Baker. Really need him to play and shoot. Do realize our opponent is not close to Division 1 level.

Would someone post the score occasionally? Many of us have no access...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Would someone post the score occasionally? Many of us have no access...
    Another vote for this!