Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Chris Katrenick

You all make great and indisputable comments about Harris, the OC and the play calling. To add fuel to the fire about the coaching, why do put the back-up QB in and not give him a chance to show what he can do? We looked like we were trying to run the clock out most of the fourth quarter. And, to preempt a point, I know he came in after we had intercepted the pass on the two yard line (on fourth down) so there’s an argument for being conservative at that point, but the answer is don’t put him in if you don’t think he can handle it. If you’re (finally) going to play him in a game that is well over, why not let him show what he can do.

On a side note, not having Bobo was a big deal last night. While QB is clearly an issue, our receivers not named Bobo or Gray can’t catch the ball. Calhoun was particularly frustrating to watch last night.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    It's apparent that Coach Cut doesn't have confidence in our QB. After Harris threw an interception on a play where it looked like Bracey had beaten his man for a TD but Quinton threw what looked like an out route. When Quinton came to the sideline, Cut wasn't giving him any consoling. Harris tried to tell Cut his side of the story, but Cut wasn't having it. He just shook his head in what looked like disappointment. Our offense has gotten so predictable that the opposing team doesn't have to spend much time on how to defend our inept offense. For a coach that has as much knowledge on how an offense should be run, Cut is doing a very bad job of leadership. If the OCs to blame it's time to get rid of him and replace him with someone that can get his QB to throw the football down field. I'm not giving up on this team because I've actually seen it worse than this. Our backs are against the wall. So, let's see how the team and coaches respond. I guess it could be worse, our players can at least spell their own names. Unlike most of the players over on the Dump. 9F/GTHC!!!!

GoDuke!
    I took that more as an indication that Harris had made a mistake. My initial read of the interception was that the receiver must have run the wrong route until they showed the exchange between Cut and Harris on the sideline. That exchange told me that the receiver likely made the correct read, but Harris didn’t. Tough for us as spectators to know either way, but someone clearly made a big mistake on that play.

I wasn't able to watch the game (don't get me started on the ACCN), but it sounds like I shouldn't watch The David Cutcliffe Show today. Call me a glutton for punishment but I will as I need to see Wallace Wade full if nothing else. This was a very discouraging loss though, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by barely View Post

On a side note, not having Bobo was a big deal last night. While QB is clearly an issue, our receivers not named Bobo or Gray can’t catch the ball. Calhoun was particularly frustrating to watch last night.
    No doubt Calhoun had a subpar night but he has 40 catches which is 33 more than Bobo. Yes, I know Bobo missed games due to injury but he hasn’t really done much in the games he did play.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Here’s what I don’t get. I read one place that the quarterback can’t throw the long ball. Then I read somewhere else that his best throw is the long ball. Which is it? !
    He throws the long ball better than he throws any thing else. And by long ball, not only 50 yard throws, but even some patterns where a 20-25 yard throw requires arc. Quick go routes, corner patters, etc. See Baylor game last year for evidence. Threw several great balls that required arc...while awful on other throws. And iMO his best moments this year have been on the long ball.

And certainly the O line is an issue on the long ball, but as Duke showed in the UVa game on the long TD play from I think Bracey, a quick go pattern requiring a short drop and less than 2 seconds is the kind of long ball you can call without needing big time protection. That kind of play also keeps the D backs on their heels and frustrates the D line, even if it doesn't work all the time. Has the potential to open up all kinds of other plays too.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I am not sure how anyone, diehard or the average fan, can find the state of our program anything but discouraging the last three games as we look to be seemingly digressing
    No. "Digressing" is what we do on DBR. You mean, "regressing."

We next play --

Syracuse at home -- having a worse season than we are -- no conference wins.

Wake -- who is having a good season -- we get to play after they play Clemson. Last year the foot was in the other shoe.

Miami -- we still owe the Canes a beating -- in fact, we will always owe them a beating
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Do we know anything about injuries after the game last night? We had several players go down, and Kraeling’s didn’t look good to me. Does Jim Sumner, or anyone, have any updates?

Also, what was wrong with Bobo last night? Was this related to his prior injury, or something new? He and Bracey played so well against Carolina; I was really hoping the two of them would be offensive weapons for us going forward. Of course, that assumes QH has time to throw...

While I do agree to be glad to see W Wade full, not so glad to see many if not half wearing Notre Dame colors.
    Then the idiot announcer that kept calling it "Wade Wallace" stadium. I have been screaming about the poor play calling for three years and more, and gotten shouted down here for it. Glad to see people waking up. Roper has to go..Been a Duke fan since I was 11. 67 now, and I do not want the bad years to return, and to my eyes they are just on the horizon.
    That being said, I appreciate what Cut has done for Duke football. But the future looks anything but bright.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Do we know anything about injuries after the game last night? We had several players go down, and Kraeling’s didn’t look good to me. Does Jim Sumner, or anyone, have any updates?

Also, what was wrong with Bobo last night? Was this related to his prior injury, or something new? He and Bracey played so well against Carolina; I was really hoping the two of them would be offensive weapons for us going forward. Of course, that assumes QH has time to throw...
    Nothing official on Kraeling. But I've (unfortunately) seen a lot of ACL injuries and this had the look of one.

Bobo did not reinjure his collar bone, I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Then the idiot announcer that kept calling it "Wade Wallace" stadium.
    Please tell me you're joking here. We actually have an announcer who doesn't know the name of our stadium? Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nothing official on Kraeling. But I've (unfortunately) seen a lot of ACL injuries and this had the look of one.

Bobo did not reinjure his collar bone, I am told.
    Thanks, Jim!

That was my reaction, too, when I saw Kraeling’s injury - sure hope I’m wrong.

Some thoughts on the conservative play calling.

Call it informed speculation.

Duke's play calling is seriously impacted by the need to keep Harris healthy. There is nothing behind him.

This may seem harsh but right now Chris Katrenick is nowhere near being an ACC-caliber QB. He may be down the road. But not right now.

In fact, should Harris suffer a significant injury (knock on wood), I strongly suspect Duke would move either Calhoun or Bracey to QB and run a wildcat package. Both played QB in high school.

Throwing deep puts the QB at greater risk of getting hit.

So, don't throw deep.

Remember that triple-option everyone was touting a month or so ago? Triple-option QB's get hit.

So, we're not seeing it. We're not seeing as many called runs for Harris, we're not seeing as much RPO. The pass plays seem to be designed for Harris to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. He's rarely running through his progressions because getting rid of the ball quickly is taking priority.

Yes, I realize the irony of a coach touted as a quarterback whisperer having so few options. But as valuable as Daniel Jones might be in the long term, he did contribute to some short-term issues. He scared off Jack Sears and who knows who else but left Duke with a year of eligibility remaining.

And Cut did not go after any of the numerous grad-student transfer QB options available last fall. For some reason, he just does not like the idea.

And Gunnar Holmberg getting hurt was just bad luck. Holmberg had always been viewed in the program as Jones' eventual replacement and that's in some jeopardy.

And Cut did not go after any of the numerous grad-student transfer QB options available last fall. For some reason, he just does not like the idea.

And Gunnar Holmberg getting hurt was just bad luck. Holmberg had always been viewed in the program as Jones' eventual replacement and that's in some jeopardy.
    Am I to understand that Holmberg's injury was so severe as to jeopardize his long term future?

Thanks, Jim. The forum benefits greatly from your even keeled analysis.
    Bob Green

Duke's play calling is seriously impacted by the need to keep Harris healthy. There is nothing behind him.

This may seem harsh but right now Chris Katrenick is nowhere near being an ACC-caliber QB. He may be down the road. But not right now.

In fact, should Harris suffer a significant injury (knock on wood), I strongly suspect Duke would move either Calhoun or Bracey to QB and run a wildcat package. Both played QB in high school.

So, don't throw deep.

Remember that triple-option everyone was touting a month or so ago? Triple-option QB's get hit.

So, we're not seeing it. We're not seeing as many called runs for Harris, we're not seeing as much RPO. The pass plays seem to be designed for Harris to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. He's rarely running through his progressions because getting rid of the ball quickly is taking priority.

Yes, I realize the irony of a coach touted as a quarterback whisperer having so few options. But as valuable as Daniel Jones might be in the long term, he did contribute to some short-term issues. He scared off Jack Sears and who knows who else but left Duke with a year of eligibility remaining.

Jim, thanks for the always excellent insight.

The unintended consequence of this conservative approach has been stagnation/backsliding.

My humble opinion is Duke is now in a no risk, no reward situation.

Duke may not win another football game this season playing with these well intended protective yet self imposed restrictive game plans.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Please tell me you're joking here. We actually have an announcer who doesn't know the name of our stadium? Unreal.
    He said it three times..
    Jim, good insight, but that does not excuse the end game call at UNC, or the poor clock management on the attempted fg last night.. Nor the defensive backs set that allowed Pitt to beat us in that contest.

So, don't throw deep.

With that strategy, we never had a chance to win. Maybe should have forfeited the game to keep Harris healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    He said it three times..
    Jim, good insight, but that does not excuse the end game call at UNC, or the poor clock management on the attempted fg last night.. Nor the defensive backs set that allowed Pitt to beat us in that contest.
    I think I made my opinion on the end-of-game call at UNC abundantly clear. Ditto with last night's late first-half clock management.

Holmberg? Well, it is a knee injury. Sometimes folks recover completely, sometimes we get Kelby Brown or Jeremy McDuffie.

But this was supposed to have been the season for Holmberg to get lots of in-game experience leading into next season.

Scratch that.

And no word on whether Holmberg will be able to participate in spring ball. Missing that would set him back even further.

Assuming Cut again chooses to stay away from the grad-student option--and what a great time to go off form--Duke's QB options next season will be Holmberg, Katrenick and incoming freshman Luca Diamont, none with any significant college experience.

Now, we've seen true freshmen QBs come in and be pretty darn good. We only have to look at Sam Howells just down the road. But it's a big gamble.

Duke will have a significant amount of experience next season at every position except QB. Getting that position figured out is paramount.

Let me make one general comment about the assistant coaches. The current group seems in the aggregate to be better recruiters than the group 8-10 years earlier. But that earlier group in the aggregate was better at developing talent. IMO.

The head coach of a Power-5 football program is the CEO, tasked with overseeing the support staff, which includes the assistants. I think Cut is trying to balance loyalty and humanity in that area with the understanding that it's a zero-sum game and sometimes knowing when to say goodbye is an asset.

I think I made my opinion on the end-of-game call at UNC abundantly clear. Ditto with last night's late first-half clock management.

Holmberg? Well, it is a knee injury. Sometimes folks recover completely, sometimes we get Kelby Brown or Jeremy McDuffie.

But this was supposed to have been the season for Holmberg to get lots of in-game experience leading into next season.

Scratch that.

And no word on whether Holmberg will be able to participate in spring ball. Missing that would set him back even further.

Assuming Cut again chooses to stay away from the grad-student option--and what a great time to go off form--Duke's QB options next season will be Holmberg, Katrenick and incoming freshman Luca Diamont, none with any significant college experience.

Now, we've seen true freshmen QBs come in and be pretty darn good. We only have to look at Sam Howells just down the road. But it's a big gamble.

Duke will have a significant amount of experience next season at every position except QB. Getting that position figured out is paramount.

Let me make one general comment about the assistant coaches. The current group seems in the aggregate to be better recruiters than the group 8-10 years earlier. But that earlier group in the aggregate was better at developing talent. IMO.

The head coach of a Power-5 football program is the CEO, tasked with overseeing the support staff, which includes the assistants. I think Cut is trying to balance loyalty and humanity in that area with the understanding that it's a zero-sum game and sometimes knowing when to say goodbye is an asset.
    This just begs the question - why not play Katrenick now? It would address several of your earlier points - it would give him experience toward next year, it would test whether he will ever be ready to be the Jones replacement, and it would open the playbook because there would be a quarterback behind him if he is ineffective or gets injured. Continuing to play Harris the way we do virtually guarantees two or three more losses. Why not try something that might help both now and in the future?

It's tough to reconcile Cut the QB Master with Harris's performance as a fifth year senior...and if he isn't good enough (which may well be the case), and if Katrenick isn't good enough (and I'm with Jim that he isn't)
    then shouldn't we be doing a better job of recruiting quarterbacks? We simply haven't recruited that position very well, Holmberg notwithstanding.