Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I was at both of these. The 2012 Belk Bowl against Cincy was darn chilly, too.

I was also at the 1990 Virginia and 2018 WFU games but those were cold in another way.
    You can also add that and FSU v. Duke 2013 to my list of cold (mostly night) games, but FSU was the national champion that year. (FSU 45-7). My point, ultimately, is that Vegas isn't very good when we have cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    We got this. Mark it down.
    I shall only note that your post was written in the hours just after cocktail hour.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I shall only note that your post was written in the hours just after cocktail hour.
    I *think* OPK has professed his Irish heritage at some point on these here boards, sooooooo……

…..every hour is cocktail hour.

(I've got work to do. I'll be back later this week. )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    2007 Duke @ ND (ND 28-7). This cost Roof his job, and this was a 3-9 ND team.
    I was there and it wasn't cold in any meaningful sense. It was low forties--in late November in Northern Indiana. No significant wind. Layered up, it was a nonissue.

We lost/didn't cover because we were terrible, not because it was chilly.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

"The 2012 Belk Bowl against Cincy was darn chilly, too". I have to differ on this it was d... cold!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I was there and it wasn't cold in any meaningful sense. It was low forties--in late November in Northern Indiana. No significant wind. Layered up, it was a nonissue.

when it comes to losing football games over the years, we are as versatile as any team in the country...heat, cold, wind, sun, we can do it all. Perhaps the nastiest I ever witnessed was the 7-0 loss (I think) to Rutgers in the Meadowlands with Spurrier as coach...an absolute monsoon, multiple inches of rain and major wind...as an added bonus, I got to drive home in that weather system the next day and it turned into an early October snowstorm, trees down everywhere, interstates closed, had to seek shelter from friends 150 miles from home.

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    "The 2012 Belk Bowl against Cincy was darn chilly, too". I have to differ on this it was d... cold!
    You can't spell how cold that game was without an F somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Was it 9F cold?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    when it comes to losing football games over the years, we are as versatile as any team in the country...heat, cold, wind, sun, we can do it all. Perhaps the nastiest I ever witnessed was the 7-0 loss (I think) to Rutgers in the Meadowlands with Spurrier as coach...an absolute monsoon, multiple inches of rain and major wind...as an added bonus, I got to drive home in that weather system the next day and it turned into an early October snowstorm, trees down everywhere, interstates closed, had to seek shelter from friends 150 miles from home.
    A few years ago I checked "go to a football game in a hurricane" off my to-do list. Matthew was hoot and a half. I'll take chilly.

F, yes indeed, "forties."

Much like @ND2007, the Belk Bowl was also nowhere near as cold as people say. The high that day was 50ish; by game time it had dropped to about 43 and by game's end around 39. At night, on December 27th.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We decided on our tailgate menu; reverse seared rib-eye steak and a potato bar to go along with a bunch of other stuff.
    If you are planning on going to the game, you are welcome to come join us, or at least stop by and say hi.

I'm filling a 5 gallon cooler with hot apple cider, that's going to be a welcome drink on a cold day. (Made better with brandy, too!)
    Rest of our menu is at the link below.
    http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5973
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

You forgot about the drizzle and occasional flurry.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The ACC title game against FSU was pretty unpleasant too (maybe not quite as cold, but with a misting rain and win it made that upper section pretty miserable).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The ACC title game against FSU was pretty unpleasant too (maybe not quite as cold, but with a misting rain and win it made that upper section pretty miserable).
    Hey,I was there!

*Cold hand high five*

We hung in there okay for a quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Hey,I was there!

*Cold hand high five*

We hung in there okay for a quarter
    Ok, I had to look up the box score, and apparently my memory of that game is completely wrong. I somehow recalled going into halftime only down 3-0, and then getting blown out in the 2nd half, but apparently you are correct and they started scoring TDs in the 2nd quarter.

I wonder if I completely fabricated that memory, or if I'm thinking of some other game against an upper tier opponent under Cut where we held tough the whole first half before giving way.

Ok, I had to look up the box score, and apparently my memory of that game is completely wrong. I somehow recalled going into halftime only down 3-0, and then getting blown out in the 2nd half, but apparently you are correct and they started scoring TDs in the 2nd quarter.

I wonder if I completely fabricated that memory, or if I'm thinking of some other game against an upper tier opponent under Cut where we held tough the whole first half before giving way.
    Soo...I'm pretty sure the game/score scenario I was remembering was from @GT in 2008. Some wires must have gotten seriously crossed for me to apply it to the FSU ACC Championship game. Went into the half down 3-0...lost 27-0.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...rgia-tech.html

It was more miserable for me. I happened to be in Florida visiting my wife's family...went to a sports bar to watch the game, and of course nothing but Seminole fans there...even though the weather was nice.

"Much like @ND2007, the Belk Bowl was also nowhere near as cold as people say. The high that day was 50ish; by game time it had dropped to about 43 and by game's end around 39. At night, on December 27th."

But don't forget the `15-20 MPH winds. These old bones don't like the cold....

Of the 150 greatest CFB games ever, ND's high is rated #6 and Duke's #142:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...0-year-history

2019 results, ordered by margin

NOTRE DAME

+52 BGSU
    +52 New Mex
    +18 @LV
    +15 UVa
    +03 SoCal
    +01 VT
    -------------------
    -06 @UGA
    -31 @UMich

DUKE

+35 @VT
    +32 NCAT
    +23 @MTSU
    +18 GT
    ----------------
    -03 @UNC
    -03 Pitt
    -34 @UVa
    -39 N 'Bama
    Last edited by Reilly; 11-05-2019 at 09:15 AM.