Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Do far I’m getting the impression that Jones didn’t actually work on his perimeter shot at all.

Then again, tonight made it look like nobody did.
    With apologies to JD, both K and Spatola have commented that we're not a good shooting team.

I was watching Hurt as they warmed up and he seemed to have a nice shot from three and he hit most of them. Alex looked as if he spent a good deal of time in the weight room. Coach kept telling them to talk with his hand signal and Tre was exhausted in the last few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    With apologies to JD, both K and Spatola have commented that we're not a good shooting team.
    Thought Spatola did a great job announcing. He understands the team dynamics and didn’t sugarcoat the lack of freshmen leadership (no talking on D) and overall poor shooting. He seemed spot on and not afraid to share his observations.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    I was watching Hurt as they warmed up and he seemed to have a nice shot from three and he hit most of them. Alex looked as if he spent a good deal of time in the weight room. Coach kept telling them to talk with his hand signal and Tre was exhausted in the last few minutes.
    Almost every Duke player looks good in warmups, with no pressure and no defenders. I sincerely do hope you’re right about Hurt’s shot — in actual games, that is.

I don’t to overreact, but between my preseason expectations, C2C, and this exhibition my optimism for this year’s team is officially on hold. These are our guys and I will always support them, but I’m not harboring any dreams of making the final four or winning a title. Right now I’ll look for continued improvement throughout the year and maybe some small victories along the way. Maybe by March we’ll be seeing a different type of team and that would be very satisfying, but I’m keeping my expectations low.

We look like a bunch of freshmen who don’t have elite talent, which is exactly what we are. When Zion blows a defensive assignment because he’s out of position, he can recover and block the shot anyways because of his insane physical gifts. But the freshmen we have now can’t do that. Last year when our offense broke down because no one had any idea where to be, we could just give the ball to our guys and let them create out of nothing. Again, we can’t do that this year. I expect Kansas to be a bloodbath, but getting our butts kicked early in the season might not be a bad thing. We’ve had several years of coming out of the gate looking great and then failing to sustain any development. This season will really tell us whether K can still develop a team or whether he has just been relying on his phenomenal recruiting success.

And yes, if a few of our freshmen stick around then next year’s team could be really special. But I’ll hold off on those thoughts until this season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don’t to overreact, but between my preseason expectations, C2C, and this exhibition my optimism for this year’s team is officially on hold. These are our guys and I will always support them, but I’m not harboring any dreams of making the final four or winning a title. Right now I’ll look for continued improvement throughout the year and maybe some small victories along the way. Maybe by March we’ll be seeing a different type of team and that would be very satisfying, but I’m keeping my expectations low.

We look like a bunch of freshmen who don’t have elite talent, which is exactly what we are. When Zion blows a defensive assignment because he’s out of position, he can recover and block the shot anyways because of his insane physical gifts. But the freshmen we have now can’t do that. Last year when our offense broke down because no one had any idea where to be, we could just give the ball to our guys and let them create out of nothing. Again, we can’t do that this year. I expect Kansas to be a bloodbath, but getting our butts kicked early in the season might not be a bad thing. We’ve had several years of coming out of the gate looking great and then failing to sustain any development. This season will really tell us whether K can still develop a team or whether he has just been relying on his phenomenal recruiting success.

And yes, if a few of our freshmen stick around then next year’s team could be really special. But I’ll hold off on those thoughts until this season is over.
    Amazing. Giving up on a team after the 1st exhibition game. Is it 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Just remember that we looked pretty pedestrian for the beginning of the first exhibition last year in Canada too.
    True, but that game was played without Tre Jones or Cam Reddish, three months earlier, and in another country. And we won by 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Amazing. Giving up on a team after the 1st exhibition game. Is it 2010?
    Not giving up. Just being realistic.
    Last edited by UrinalCake; 10-27-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Not really ground breaking stuff but we don’t have shooters. Tre isn’t great at shooting. JGold and Jack White frankly can’t shoot. That’s 3 guards / wings who can’t hit an outside shot. Opposing defense will go heavy on guarding Hurt and Carey who are freshmen and will struggle with the attention they receive from the D. AOC or another guard that gets major minutes needs to turn up and shoot 3s successfully.

AOC and Joey Baker are both competent shooters.

That is all.

Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere, but was Baker sick, or is he really our 11th man? Given our lack of shooting, that's saying something if he is.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Been reading your posts for years and you are a very intelligent cake, but this "bloodbath" stuff is the most moronic sentence that you have written. Seriously...

I can't imagine why anyone would expect anything other that a competitive game where we have a shot to win near the end.

Still develop a team??? You sound like the typical negative Duke prognosticators. I mean, did you see the development of our last two title teams?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Not really ground breaking stuff but we don’t have shooters. Tre isn’t great at shooting. JGold and Jack White frankly can’t shoot. That’s 3 guards / wings who can’t hit an outside shot. Opposing defense will go heavy on guarding Hurt and Carey who are freshmen and will struggle with the attention they receive from the D. AOC or another guard that gets major minutes needs to turn up and shoot 3s successfully.

Anybody can shoot. I can shoot. Not everyone will score enough to our liking.

If these guys don't get a lot better and leave, Duke will have a major numbers crunch next season. Too many scholarships offered.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post

If these guys don't get a lot better and leave, Duke will have a major numbers crunch next season. Too many scholarships offered.
    Whoa, that’s another thing I had not contemplated. How many definite recruits does Duke have coming in next year and how many more is the team potentially recruiting?

I think we need to temper our expectations with this team. Some are "true" freshmen who will play like freshmen this season.

Last year's team was an anomaly.

This year we need to rely on depth and more senior leadership. There will be growing pains but hopefully we continue to develop and peak in March.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post

Not really. Duke has 10 recruited players, 2 of them are seniors. That leaves 5 scholarships assuming no one leaves. Currently 5 commits in the class with a close to 0% chance every underclassmen stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Been reading your posts for years and you are a very intelligent cake, but this "bloodbath" stuff is the most moronic sentence that you have written. Seriously...

I can't imagine why anyone would expect anything other that a competitive game where we have a shot to win near the end.
    Last season was a bloodbath for Kentucky and they *checks notes* ended up in the Elite 8 just like Duke. I do agree though that what you see in November is sometimes what you get all season. What was the last Duke team that was better in March than in November?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Last season was a bloodbath for Kentucky and they *checks notes* ended up in the Elite 8 just like Duke. I do agree though that what you see in November is sometimes what you get all season. What was the last Duke team that was better in March than in November?
    We usually do start fast, but I sincerely hope that the answer to your question is a resounding "All of them!" I'd hate to think Coach K is not capable of coaching up our players during the year and helping them improve. He's the best coach ever, isn't he?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Still develop a team??? You sound like the typical negative Duke prognosticators. I mean, did you see the development of our last two title teams?
    The team I saw looked nowhere near ready to face an elite, experienced opponent on a big stage. Maybe they’ll get there by the end of the season, but we’ve got a long way to go. As to my second point, what I meant is that it has been a long time since we’ve had a team without immediate impact, lottery-level freshmen. Reaching our potential will depend a whole lot more on both individual player development and team development, and less on simply giving the ball to our best players and letting them go.

I suspect the Kansas game will be a great early season test to give the team, and us, a sense of where they really are at (not where they can be in March/April). If this first preseason game was an outlier in terms of poor play and especially poor outside shooting, we'll know it after the Kansas game. If not, then we will surely know it after the Kansas game. Either way, I'll wait till that game to gauge where I should place my expectations current to what I already expected heading into this season.*

*There was no way I expected this year's team to be anywhere close to the last several teams we've rolled out. My expectations were solid Top 15 team, but not Top 5 unless they really bonded and grew a lot (which is always possible).

A lot of people here extrapolating a lot of inferences based on very little data.