Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    English please?
    Not an expert on eye issues, but it sounds like he was doing a diagnosis of how Trevon's vision issues manifest physically.

That is the reason that I can never get on board with the line of reasoning that Trevon should have spent more time in college. The vision was always going to cause a problem with people's expectation of his career potential once it was known.

So... if Trevon had this eye issue for his entire basketball playing days, why hasn't it surface earlier? And why was he so highly regarded... and how did he do it?

Marques had 16 points and 10 rebounds in 26 minutes as Canton beat Lakeland 138-125:
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200122/LAKCTN/

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    So... if Trevon had this eye issue for his entire basketball playing days, why hasn't it surface earlier? And why was he so highly regarded... and how did he do it?
    He was always fast and athletic enough at lower levels that people did not care about shooting. It's not like high schools do detailed physicals and he had plenty of reasons to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Not an expert on eye issues, but it sounds like he was doing a diagnosis of how Trevon's vision issues manifest physically.

That is the reason that I can never get on board with the line of reasoning that Trevon should have spent more time in college. The vision was always going to cause a problem with people's expectation of his career potential once it was known.
    I don’t understand this post. Are you saying that given his eye issues will never allow him to be a good shooter, it’s better to play G-League a few years than graduate from Duke?

Trevon had 9 points in 16 minutes as Iowa beat Erie 109-107:
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200123/IWAERI/

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I don’t understand this post. Are you saying that given his eye issues will never allow him to be a good shooter, it’s better to play G-League a few years than graduate from Duke?
    Yes, obviously there is no way to know for sure, but I think that staying multiple years, but showing no improvement in shooting, would hurt his initial opportunities more even with improvement in other areas. For instance, I do not think that a hypothetical four year playing Trevon would be able to get a two-way contract right away. Even if he is never an NBA player again, he will certainly have opportunities to still make a decent living professionally. Strictly from the player's perspective, I do not see why graduating from Duke now as opposed to post-career should make any difference.

Trevon had 9 points in 16 minutes as Iowa beat Erie 109-107:
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200123/IWAERI/

Yes, obviously there is no way to know for sure, but I think that staying multiple years, but showing no improvement in shooting, would hurt his initial opportunities more even with improvement in other areas. For instance, I do not think that a hypothetical four year playing Trevon would be able to get a two-way contract right away. Even if he is never an NBA player again, he will certainly have opportunities to still make a decent living professionally. Strictly from the player's perspective, I do not see why graduating from Duke now as opposed to post-career should make any difference.
    Wouldn't he have to pay for that education himself now, rather than Duke paying for it if he stayed 4 years?

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    English please?
    He doesn't see straight, so he doesn't shoot straight?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He doesn't see straight, so he doesn't shoot straight?
    IANAD (i am not a doctor) but i like your translation, even if it ain't medical (?)

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Wouldn't he have to pay for that education himself now, rather than Duke paying for it if he stayed 4 years?

GoDuke!
    I am not sure if there is an official written policy somewhere, but my understanding is that Duke and virtually every power conference school has pretty generous commitments to scholarship holders who stop playing for the school, even in non-revenue sports.

I am not sure if there is an official written policy somewhere, but my understanding is that Duke and virtually every power conference school has pretty generous commitments to scholarship holders who stop playing for the school, even in non-revenue sports.
    I did not know that. Thanks for that information and thanks for your work on this thread.

GoDuke!

Nothing against Trevon, but I don't think Duke owes him anything at this point. I'd rather see a scholarship go to deserving, underprivileged student than a player who left after one year to unsuccessfully pursue his NBA dream.
    Last edited by MartyClark; 01-25-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Nothing against Trevon, but I don't think Duke owes him anything at this point. I'd rather see a scholarship go to deserving, underprivileged student than a player who left after one year to unsuccessfully pursue his NBA dream.
    Per the rules of being in an NCAA power 5 conference, a player's scholarship cannot be taken away due to injury or performance. If he/she decides to leave the team, however, then the scholarship does not have to be continued.
    Last edited by rocketeli; 01-25-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    Trevon had 8 points and 6 assists in 22 minutes in Iowa's 109-99 loss to Greensboro:
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200120/IWAGBO/
    http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/images...val-trevon.jpg

OK I’m an ophthalmologist but in older photos of Duval like this you can clearly see he has a left exotropia, OK could in theory be right esotropia with off gaze[/QUOTE]

IIRC an eye condition was diagnosed, and maybe treated while he was at Duke. Basically, again IIRC, he has/had what is often called a "lazy eye" in layman's terms. This is usually treated in childhood with patching or surgery, because if it's not addressed and the two eyes can't focus together, the brain will shut down processing input from one of the eyes, and that part of the brain processing system will also atrophy leaving you effectively blind in one eye (technical name amblyopia.) Speculation is that either his long term vision problems or trying to adjust to the fix contributed/contribute to his shooting issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Per the rules of being in an NCAA power 5 conference, a player's scholarship cannot be taken away due to injury or performance. If he/she decides to leave the team, however, then the scholarship does not have to be continued.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/images...val-trevon.jpg

OK I’m an ophthalmologist but in older photos of Duval like this you can clearly see he has a left exotropia, OK could in theory be right esotropia with off gaze
    IIRC an eye condition was diagnosed, and maybe treated while he was at Duke. Basically, again IIRC, he has/had what is often called a "lazy eye" in layman's terms. This is usually treated in childhood with patching or surgery, because if it's not addressed and the two eyes can't focus together, the brain will shut down processing input from one of the eyes, and that part of the brain processing system will also atrophy leaving you effectively blind in one eye (technical name amblyopia.) Speculation is that either his long term vision problems or trying to adjust to the fix contributed/contribute to his shooting issues.[/QUOTE]

Which means limited peripheral vision and really poor depth perception.

“Which means limited peripheral vision and really poor depth perception.”

This post could also be applicable to the “Ymm, Beer” thread.

Marques missed Canton's 120-118 overtime win over Capital City, but there are no additional details right now:
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200125/CCGCTN/

Marques had 2 points and 6 rebounds in 6 minutes as Canton beat Delaware 116-103:
    https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200129/DELCTN/

Congrats to Big 'Ques, who will not be making an appearance in this thread for the next 10 days! Hopefully he'll get to see some time on the court with Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    my hunch is that K and Duke don’t think that small...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc