Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB ACCT-Q: Duke vs. NC State (Cancelled): Pregame and In-game Thread

Don't we have a game this afternoon (fans or no fans)?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-12-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Well, maybe.

I think we do until we don't.

Yeah, I was looking for this thread for 10 minutes thinking I was blind.

I had to go double check the schedule to make sure i wasn't crazy. No game thread 5 hours before tipoff?

Going to be weird with nobody in the stands.

Who?

Commish Swofford press conference at 10AM...

Have no idea what to expect in this game (if it's played..wonder how close to game times they would actually cancel??). It's weird for us as fans to wrap our heads around, but think about normal pregame preparation for players/coaches. The health situation is on everyone's minds, then the shockwaves from the NBA last night. How are the teams preparing for a game? How are they thinking about basketball strategy? Defensive positioning? It must be terribly difficult to focus. Then the added dimension of no fans and getting used to an empty gym...this is unprecedented. But LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Mixed feelings about this. Countless Duke students have had their lives upended and it seems that this is all about the money. The NCAA needs to cancel a tournament that will last 3 weeks with travel and hotel stays putting folks at risk. If not for the money- this would be a no brainer.

According to David Teel, who spoke to Swofford the games are on for today

https://twitter.com/ByDavidTeel/stat...94576726007809

David Teel
    @ByDavidTeel
    #ACC commissioner John Swofford just told me #ACCTourney games are on today.
    9:28 AM · Mar 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    According to David Teel, who spoke to Swofford the games are on for today

https://twitter.com/ByDavidTeel/stat...94576726007809

David Teel
    @ByDavidTeel
    #ACC commissioner John Swofford just told me #ACCTourney games are on today.
    9:28 AM · Mar 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
    I really, really, really hope the refs, players, and coaching staff are being tested for coronavirus.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who?
    I believe you should use all caps when stating the acronym of the World Health Organization

The no fans idea is fine. But, if we are worried about gatherings of a 40-50 people (coaches, players, refs, limited media), why the HELL are any of us still going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Mixed feelings about this. Countless Duke students have had their lives upended and it seems that this is all about the money. The NCAA needs to cancel a tournament that will last 3 weeks with travel and hotel stays putting folks at risk. If not for the money- this would be a no brainer.
    I don't really understand what one has to do with the other. With fans removed from the equation, players are probably safer playing in the tournament, being constantly monitored and protected from outside contact by team staff than if we just sent them home.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    The no fans idea is fine. But, if we are worried about gatherings of a 40-50 people (coaches, players, refs, limited media), why the HELL are any of us still going to work?
    Right.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I really, really, really hope the refs, players, and coaching staff are being tested for coronavirus.
    there are not enough tests to do this preemptively.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    there are not enough tests to do this preemptively.
    It also wouldn't really be effective, all it would do is tell you they didn't have the virus when you tested them, unless you plan to test them every day prior to them entering the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't really understand what one has to do with the other. With fans removed from the equation, players are probably safer playing in the tournament, being constantly monitored and protected from outside contact by team staff than if we just sent them home.

Right.
    These are Duke students. Other students are not allowed to come back to campus to limit exposure to the community and all their performances and events have been canceled. Duke is not allowing Duke sponsored travel for faculty and students. If you are arguing that basketball is separate from Duke and these are not really students - then yes the two have nothing to do with each other. I enjoy basketball as much as anyone - but I am not sure I understand why this is going forward other than money.

As for safety - it is more about transmission. But hotels are likely high risk zones given travelers from all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

Right.
    EXACTLY. If we are worried about 50-100 people playing in empty gym then what about all congregations like church services, where there are easily more people than that? They are probably safer playing the tournament and I think this has gone too far

NUMBERS - say wparents maybe 300 people at an NCAA game? Church or political rally could have hundreds to thousands of people but no one is talking about that

Politco reported that the Gov of my state (JB Pritzker) pressed and got an answer from CDC on what defines a "large gathering" - the number he was told was 250. I'm figuring these ACC games will be under that number.

DBR Chat is open all day!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Go pack!

Whatever happens today, let's all remember to 9f!