Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It may never be a movie, but I'm about to read Linwood Barclay's new book Elevator Pitch in which people enter elevators in Manhattan and many bad things happen...who doesn't love elevator terror? Right up my alley.
    I recall the joyous moment when I turned in my last paper in grad school, prepared to celebrate at length, and got stuck with two pals in an elevator for a couple of hours before they could pry us loose.
    Did all 3 of you make it out or did you have to resort to cannibalism? How do we know this is THE budwom and not one of budwom's sated pals?!? I

think I'd only last 60 minutes or so before going cannibal in such a situation...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Did all 3 of you make it out or did you have to resort to cannibalism? How do we know this is THE budwom and not one of budwom's sated pals?!? I

think I'd only last 60 minutes or so before going cannibal in such a situation...
    at one point they offered to let us step across the shaft onto the adjacent elevator...we passed on that...one of the guys with me happened to be a young billionaire, so somehow I felt he could magically summon the Swiss Guard or something to save us (this was well before cell phones)...it was not very pleasant, but the elevator was sizeable, which helped...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at one point they offered to let us step across the shaft onto the adjacent elevator...we passed on that...one of the guys with me happened to be a young billionaire, so somehow I felt he could magically summon the Swiss Guard or something to save us (this was well before cell phones)...it was not very pleasant, but the elevator was sizeable, which helped...
    Reminds me of this little "stuck in the elevator" gem -- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-elevator.html
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Duke's offense: play-calling and execution

idea/thought from fuse, not my original
    Guess this post has potential for week to week reusability. 😢

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Duke's offense: play-calling and execution

idea/thought from fuse, not my original
    Sorry, but I found it too predictable to really surprise/shock me. And the sequel(s) just seem to be rehashing the same script.

One more film for consideration

I would have to put The Exorcist at the top, with (original) Alien not too far behind.

Honorable mention, on my part, has to go to "Wait Until Dark." Trailer

(I saw this movie years ago in Orange County, and there is one scene where everyone in the theater elevated about a foot. )

k

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    I would have to put The Exorcist at the top, with (original) Alien not too far behind.

Honorable mention, on my part, has to go to "Wait Until Dark." Trailer

(I saw this movie years ago in Orange County, and there is one scene where everyone in the theater elevated about a foot. )

k
    I might have to watch it to see why a blind woman would light a match in the dark.

Alien was the scariest movie i think i've ever seen....after that, prolly Exorcist, Jaws, and ....the first jeepers creepers...

when i was very young, i saw two movies at a drive in Bloodfeast and 2000 maniacs that i remember were quite scary...watched them a few years ago and they weren't..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Match scene

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I might have to watch it to see why a blind woman would light a match in the dark.
    Sarcasm aside, the scene makes perfectly good sense if you watch the movie.

Helpful hint: The match has nothing to do with illumination.

k

We did watch Midsommar. I like that the director (who I didn't realize until after viewing also did Hereditary) called it a break-up film. Uncanny that the director was also able to replicate my first time (I kid, I kid...). You're right, no real jump scares but the combination of the constant daylight and chipper Swedes really made what happened a very unsettling experience. I guess the director did a lot of study of different pagan practices and incorporated those into the film so they had some historical basis. Even the situation of the poor bloke in the chicken coop was based on some Viking practices, from what I understand.

Interesting stuff.
    The “Blood Eagle”. It makes an appearance in the History channel show Vikings as well. I think there’s some debate around whether it was actually carried out or more of a legend. Either way...ouch.

I saw Doctor Sleep over the weekend. It’s not super scary by any means. But I really liked it. Doesn’t come close to The Shining but few do. It’s better than It Chapter 2 but probably my not as good as Chapter 1. Mike Flanagan is on a roll though. Haunting of Hill House, Gerald’s Game, Hush, etc.

Reviving this thread for 2020 --- anyone have new adds? We always watch 5-10 scary movies over the course of October. And, no, we're not just going to tune into the news for our horror show this year.

So far this year we've watched:

• Lights Out about a being that, well, can only exist in the dark. Pretty standard fare but good for some jump scares.
    • Winchester about the famous haunted mansion, the matriarch of the Winchester gun fortune, and an act of violence perpetrated against the Winchester name because they brought guns into the world. So-so reviewed but I really liked it. Based on a real place, which has an interesting history. I might actually read about this lady/house.
    • Green Room about a punk band that end sup in a bad situation with a neo-nazi group. Tense, siege-style movie that knows what its about. Patrick Steward plays the ring leader supremacist.
    • Hubie Halloween about a put-upon-nice-guy who solves a Halloween mystery. It's an Adam Sandler movie and it's exactly what you'd expect. Not great, good for some stupid chuckles, lots of cameos from old Sandler pals.
    • It Comes At Night about a family trying to survive a pandemic in the woods when they get an unexpected visitor. Good stuff, nice tension, some real scares.

I think we're looking at The Invitation and Cam soon. We'll probably re-watch Halloween and a few other personal favorites/classics.

Reviving this thread for 2020 --- anyone have new adds? We always watch 5-10 scary movies over the course of October. And, no, we're not just going to tune into the news for our horror show this year.

• Lights Out about a being that, well, can only exist in the dark. Pretty standard fare but good for some jump scares.
    • Winchester about the famous haunted mansion, the matriarch of the Winchester gun fortune, and an act of violence perpetrated against the Winchester name because they brought guns into the world. So-so reviewed but I really liked it. Based on a real place, which has an interesting history. I might actually read about this lady/house.
    • Green Room about a punk band that end sup in a bad situation with a neo-nazi group. Tense, siege-style movie that knows what its about. Patrick Steward plays the ring leader supremacist.
    • Hubie Halloween about a put-upon-nice-guy who solves a Halloween mystery. It's an Adam Sandler movie and it's exactly what you'd expect. Not great, good for some stupid chuckles, lots of cameos from old Sandler pals.
    • It Comes At Night about a family trying to survive a pandemic in the woods when they get an unexpected visitor. Good stuff, nice tension, some real scares.

I think we're looking at The Invitation and Cam soon. We'll probably re-watch Halloween and a few other personal favorites/classics.
    Thanks! I'll check out It Comes at Night and Winchester.

I've seen Green Room. It's well-acted but not my favorite movie. Goodness I'll never forget the dog. If you liked Green Room at all, you should definitely watch Blue Ruin by the same writer/director Saulnier. Blue Ruin is not a horror/Halloween movie, but more of a slow-burn revenge/crime/thriller story. The atmosphere, mood, and suspense this movie builds are up there with Sicario. Worth a watch

And if you haven't seen Ready or Not, it's great. More dark humor than horror, but I can't imagine you won't enjoy. It's fun start to finish

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    And if you haven't seen Ready or Not, it's great. More dark humor than horror, but I can't imagine you won't enjoy. It's fun start to finish
    For dark humor, I love Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

Thanks! I'll check out It Comes at Night and Winchester.

I've seen Green Room. It's well-acted but not my favorite movie. Goodness I'll never forget the dog. If you liked Green Room at all, you should definitely watch Blue Ruin by the same writer/director Saulnier. Blue Ruin is not a horror/Halloween movie, but more of a slow-burn revenge/crime/thriller story. The atmosphere, mood, and suspense this movie builds are up there with Sicario. Worth a watch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    For dark humor, I love Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
    Thanks for the recommendations! Haven't seen Blue Ruin, Ready or Not, or Dale v. Evil. We have seen Cabin in the Woods and it was just absolute genius. Probably need to watch again.

Any good new recommendations on Netflix, hbo etc?

Any good new recommendations on Netflix, hbo etc?
    Midnight Mass on Netflix.

Midnight Mass on Netflix.
    Thanks, will have to check it out. We watched Hush last night, which was an okay twist on the old home invasion slasher.

Thanks, will have to check it out. We watched Hush last night, which was an okay twist on the old home invasion slasher.
    Midnight Mass is horror/thriller with lots of Biblical themes and imagery. Not everyone's cup of tea. Seven episode series. It drags in some spots, but I like a slow grind.

Midnight Mass is horror/thriller with lots of Biblical themes and imagery. Not everyone's cup of tea. Seven episode series. It drags in some spots, but I like a slow grind.
    I take it if it’s a slow grind, it’s not of the jump scare variety?