Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Greg Paulus named Head Coach at Niagara (no longer interim)

Prolific tweeter Jon Rothstein sent out a notice that Patrick Beilein, son of Cleveland Cavs HC John, has stepped down as the head coach at Niagara. Assistant Coach Greg Paulus has taken over the head coaching duties, at least on an interim basis. I'm not sure this is how he wanted to get his first top job, but congrats to him anyway!

He has developed an interesting career in college ball since his playing days came to an end. From video coordinator to lead assistant at Ohio State under Thad Matta, Assistant Head Coach at Louisville after Rick Pitino was fired, another assistant position at Niagara back in his native upstate New York, and now interim head coach. Good luck to Paulus!

Kudos to Greg, he seems like a grinder. Too bad he doesn't have Calvin Murphy at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Kudos to Greg, he seems like a grinder. Too bad he doesn't have Calvin Murphy at his disposal.
    Well, Calvin is 71.

Congrats to Greg

That's great for Greg.

Hope Patrick Belein is okay. Didn't John take the Cavs job in part to be closer to Patrick?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    He has developed an interesting career in college ball since his playing days came to an end. From video coordinator to lead assistant at Ohio State under Thad Matta, Assistant Head Coach at Louisville after Rick Pitino was fired, another assistant position at Niagara back in his native upstate New York, and now interim head coach. Good luck to Paulus!
    IMO, it's also interesting Duke has not been in Greg's coaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, Calvin is 71.
    He'd still probably beat me in games of HORSE and/or 21, even if he spotted me several letters and/or points .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Not surprising to me. One of the more disappointing stretches in Duke basketball occurred under Paulus's stewardship. McRoberts always gets the heat around here, but Paulus is up there with Ricky Price and Corey Magette as some of Coach K's mis-recruited players.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

First and most important, I hope everything is ok with Beilein.

I don’t think Paulus not coaching at Duke is very interesting. He has been coaching about 10 years, so that makes 30 assistant spots. Which of those would you have put him in? “Sorry Jeff, we don’t need you and your head coaching experience because Greg really, really wants to work here?”

The fact that he has not worked for any of the former Duke players who are now coaches is a lot more interesting. But perhaps he decided to chart his own course and build a skill set that is additive to the experience with the Duke Way that he already had. No one can fault him for his time working for Matta.

And guess what - who is a D1 head coach now?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He'd still probably beat me in games of HORSE and/or 21, even if he spotted me several letters and/or points .
    I'd be willing to bet a pie he could also outjump you.

Congrats to Greg, I hope he makes the most of the opportunity!

Minor quibble but the front page article lists Paulus as being 36, I believe he is only 33.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Not surprising to me. One of the more disappointing stretches in Duke basketball occurred under Paulus's stewardship. McRoberts always gets the heat around here, but Paulus is up there with Ricky Price and Corey Magette as some of Coach K's mis-recruited players.
    Corey averaged 24 points and 8.7 rebounds per 40, shot 61% from two-point range, was a serviceable 3-point shooter at 34.5%, etc. He did commit a TO about every 8 minutes. Overall a very good player imo.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Corey averaged 24 points and 8.7 rebounds per 40, shot 61% from two-point range, was a serviceable 3-point shooter at 34.5%, etc. He did commit a TO about every 8 minutes. Overall a very good player imo.
    Ah, I meant he had character issues.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maggett...king-payments/

Other, uglier allegations last year, that hopefully are not true.

Not a bad player, just not a good fit for the Duke program, IMO.

Agreed, if there is a complaint about Maggette’s Duke career it is that it was too short.

Ah, I meant he had character issues.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maggett...king-payments/

Other, uglier allegations last year, that hopefully are not true.

Not a bad player, just not a good fit for the Duke program, IMO.

Sorry, I thought you might be referring to his on-court performance, as with the other players cited.

I don’t believe Price or Magette tried as hard to please K as Paulus. I’m not sure this is an attitude or character situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYNOTCRAZIE
    The fact that he has not worked for any of the former Duke players who are now coaches is a lot more interesting.
    It appears we are saying the same thing. Duke, including former Duke coaches, is not part of Greg’s coaching experience. Hurley was an exception for a very unique reason. Greg is the only other D1 HC example I recall. Who else went a non-Duke path?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Agreed, if there is a complaint about Maggette’s Duke career it is that it was too short.
    It was probably the perfect length.

Had Corey hung around, he would have certainly faced a multi-game suspension for taking cash payments in high school. The NCAA may have taken a longer look at our '99 banners as well.

I don’t believe McRoberts, Price or Maggete tried as hard to please K as Paulus. I’m not sure this is an attitude or character situation.
    Fair enough.

I always thought Paulus threw in the towel. He carried a dejected look on his face throughout his sophomore season. I never understood the belief that he had some sort of bulldog mentality. I never saw it for myself... felt like I was seeing the opposite.

McRoberts played his a** off. By all accounts, the coaching staff was not sorry to see him hit the road though FWIW.

It appears we are saying the same thing. Duke, including former Duke coaches, is not part of Greg’s coaching experience. Hurley was an exception for a very unique reason. Greg is the only other D1 HC example I recall. Who else went a non-Duke path?
    Well, Capel got to D1 HC the first time around without going through Duke. He also had a unique path/reason.

I don’t believe Price or Magette tried as hard to please K as Paulus. I’m not sure this is an attitude or character situation.

Kenny(now Kenneth)Blakeney of Howard University(and while not a D1 HC, SA Spurs AC Chip Engelland).

Oops, Blakeney worked under Amaker at Harvard for several years.

Kenny(now Kenneth)Blakeney of Howard University(and while not a D1 HC, SA Spurs AC Chip Engelland).

Oops, Blakeney worked under Amaker at Harvard for several years.
    And, IIRC, Brey and Lefty.