Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC

    A Visit To The Devil's Tramping Ground

    Took a trip yesterday with my brother to Bear Creek, a farming community about ten miles south of Siler City. Bear Creek is home to one of NC's biggest legends, that of the Devil's Tramping Ground, a bare circular patch of ground where Satan is supposed to walk in circles plotting against us.
    After finishing Mike's business he had down there, we decided to run by the place and check it out. We both had delivered in the area for Fedex in the past, and had taken lunch there from time to time. If you aren't familiar with the legend, nothing grows in the circle (not so) objects left inside the circle are gone the next day, (maybe Satan likes Coors and Slim Jims) and animals won't go near it. People that spend the night there are driven mad...
    We arrived, and walked the fifty feet or so into the woods to the circle. We found it looking pretty much like it was when we were there last.
    The only thing that grows there is a species of wire grass, a type I have noticed growing in narrow lines near salt licks in the mountains.
    Still, this grass is sparse inside the circle. Of course, party people leave their trash and this time there was a goat skull, resplendent with arching horns.
    We decided to pick up the aforementioned snack wrappers and beer cans as Mike had a few trash bags in his vehicle. Altogether there were around forty cans. We placed the skull on a nearby stump just outside the circle.
    As we were finishing this chore, the wind suddenly picked up, and a good sized limb broke off of a nearby tree, and landed about ten feet from where we were standing, just inside the circle. I know this sounds like a ghost story, but every word is true!
    On why not much grows in the circle, maybe it is a salt lick, and the wire grass is the only thing that can grow there. So, being the inquisitive creature I am, decided to see if there were animal tracks leading to the circle. And, if they would go into it.
    The ground being muddy from the recent rains, it did not take long to find deer tracks. Two trails were plainly visible. One, a doe, had come straight down the path then did a hard right just outside the circle. A buck had come from the south, and turned left, also avoiding the circle. Mike found a set of canine tracks, (dog or coyote) that had come in from the north, stopped about ten feet outside the circle, then turned east toward the road, also avoiding the circle.
    We found no tracks (including human) inside the circle.
    There have been many theories about the place, but nothing concrete has been put forward yet. The salt lick theory does not hunt, because if it were a salt lick, deer tracks would be everywhere..Just weird. Although neither of us are superstitious, the hair on our necks was standing as we trekked out of there..
    We left and and took a drive by Frances Bavier's old home, and visited her grave site while we were there. She was Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith show. We had delivered to her home there many times.
    Nice trip with my brother, you ought to go check it out if you are in the area..
    Last edited by Devilwin; 10-19-2019 at 07:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Took a trip yesterday with my brother to Bear Creek, a farming community about ten miles south of Siler City. Bear Creek is home to one of NC's biggest legends, that of the Devil's Tramping Ground, a bare circular patch of ground where Satan is supposed to walk in circles plotting against us.
    After finishing Mike's business he had down there, we decided to run by the place and check it out. We both had delivered in the area for Fedex in the past, and had taken lunch there from time to time. If you aren't familiar with the legend, nothing grows in the circle (not so) objects left inside the circle are gone the next day, (maybe Satan likes Coors and Slim Jims) and animals won't go near it. People that spend the night there are driven mad...
    We arrived, and walked the fifty feet or so into the woods to the circle. We found it looking pretty much like it was when we were there last.
    The only thing that grows there is a species of wire grass, a type I have noticed growing in narrow lines near salt licks in the mountains.
    Still, this grass is sparse inside the circle. Of course, party people leave their trash and this time there was a goat skull, resplendent with arching horns.
    We decided to pick up the aforementioned snack wrappers and beer cans as Mike had a few trash bags in his vehicle. Altogether there were around forty cans. We placed the skull on a nearby stump just outside the circle.
    As we were finishing this chore, the wind suddenly picked up, and a good sized limb broke off of a nearby tree, and landed about ten feet from where we were standing, just inside the circle. I know this sounds like a ghost story, but every word is true!
    On why not much grows in the circle, maybe it is a salt lick, and the wire grass is the only thing that can grow there. So, being the inquisitive creature I am, decided to see if there were animal tracks leading to the circle. And, if they would go into it.
    The ground being muddy from the recent rains, it did not take long to find deer tracks. Two trails were plainly visible. One, a doe, had come straight down the path then did a hard right just outside the circle. A buck had come from the south, and turned left, also avoiding the circle. Mike found a set of canine tracks, (dog or coyote) that had come in from the north, stopped about ten feet outside the circle, then turned east toward the road, also avoiding the circle.
    We found no tracks (including human) inside the circle.
    There have been many theories about the place, but nothing concrete has been put forward yet. The salt lick theory does not hunt, because if it were a salt lick, deer tracks would be everywhere..Just weird. Although neither of us are superstitious, the hair on our necks was standing as we trekked out of there..
    We left and and took a drive by Frances Bavier's old home, and visited her grave site while we were there. She was Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith show. We had delivered to her home there many times.
    Nice trip with my brother, you ought to go check it out if you are in the area..
    4694d635b3450097a617adea024e4392_640x640.jpg

    Now I know the story behind this beer name from Aviator Brewing in Fuquay-Varina. Thanks!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Just down the road :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    nothing grows in the circle (not so) objects left inside the circle are gone the next day, (maybe Satan likes Coors and Slim Jims) and animals won't go near it. People that spend the night there are driven mad...
    Friends and I visited on Halloween night. We were as scared of what people might be skulking about as much as we were scared of the devil him/herself. All we found were beer cans, a diaper, and some logs set up for seating around a past campfire. The unknown and dark night made for a worthwhile fright nonetheless. I plead the 5th on the "driven mad" part.

    We considered a road trip to see the girl at the bridge ghost in Jamestown, NC but the trip never materialized

  4. #4
    On a driving trip through Ireland, we stopped at a pagan altar site north of the Cliffs of Moher. Bright sunny day. Opened the car door and rain appeared in a cloudburst. Closed the door and it stopped and sun broke through. Opened door, walked ten feet and boom, downpour. Back to car, sunshine. Three times it happened. Then I got frustrated and marched through another rain squall to the altar.
    Drenched but triumphant Then we stopped at a pub. Take that Boogie-Druids!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    Friends and I visited on Halloween night. We were as scared of what people might be skulking about as much as we were scared of the devil him/herself. All we found were beer cans, a diaper, and some logs set up for seating around a past campfire. The unknown and dark night made for a worthwhile fright nonetheless. I plead the 5th on the "driven mad" part.

    We considered a road trip to see the girl at the bridge ghost in Jamestown, NC but the trip never materialized
    The Jamestown ghost, Lydia, is seen at the old bridge in the woods about 90 feet from the current bridge. Have been there a couple of times.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    On a driving trip through Ireland, we stopped at a pagan altar site north of the Cliffs of Moher. Bright sunny day. Opened the car door and rain appeared in a cloudburst. Closed the door and it stopped and sun broke through. Opened door, walked ten feet and boom, downpour. Back to car, sunshine. Three times it happened. Then I got frustrated and marched through another rain squall to the altar.
    Drenched but triumphant Then we stopped at a pub. Take that Boogie-Druids!
    And that was the only proper thing to do! Right, DevilDeac?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    4694d635b3450097a617adea024e4392_640x640.jpg

    Now I know the story behind this beer name from Aviator Brewing in Fuquay-Varina. Thanks!
    Yeah, no grass grows on those beer cans...

  8. #8
    I lived in Jamestown for four years and never heard the story of the ghost.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    And that was the only proper thing to do! Right, DevilDeac?
    Absolutely!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    All this reminds me of a song I wrote about ten years ago about the spooky lights on Brown Mountain in Burke County. I wrote it for a friend of my son who is a musician. Here is the lyric


    I met an old man that had a tale to tell
    About the lights from Brown Mountain
    And how he knew them well
    He said they were ghosts from the Cherokee tribe
    That marched into battle
    with garlands untied
    They march on unceasing with eyes that have no sight
    And dwell in the dark of
    Brown mountain lights

    Sometimes you'll see them blue, then you'll see them red
    They turn into a great white light
    And then you'll see them spread
    Over on that mountain
    They still may hold their rites
    And live in the dark of Brown Mountain lights

    The old man finished his story
    He had no more to tell he got up from the table and I watched his body frail
    Walk into the misty fog then turned and waved goodbye
    Carried away by Brown Mountain lights

    On a clear October evening you may feel the wind grow cold
    You'll feel in your body and feel it in your soul
    Feel ,it in your heart and you will feel it all your life
    You can still see them marching with torches held high
    There in the dark of Brown Mountain Lights..
    Last edited by Devilwin; 10-20-2019 at 09:31 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Brown Mountain Lights always takes me back to a song about it by Tommy Faile of Arthur Smith and the Cracker Jacks, a musical group that had a tv show in Charlotte in the late 50ís.

    Anyone else here old enough to remember? I would link the song, but like most old people, Iím not good at linky thingies.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Brown Mountain Lights always takes me back to a song about it by Tommy Faile of Arthur Smith and the Cracker Jacks, a musical group that had a tv show in Charlotte in the late 50ís.

    Anyone else here old enough to remember? I would link the song, but like most old people, Iím not good at linky thingies.
    I do..Much better than mine too..lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suzXgd5FFXw

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Brown Mountain Lights always takes me back to a song about it by Tommy Faile of Arthur Smith and the Cracker Jacks, a musical group that had a tv show in Charlotte in the late 50ís.

    Anyone else here old enough to remember? I would link the song, but like most old people, Iím not good at linky thingies.
    Which takes me back to a photo I found at Dad's. It was taken at Tweetsie Railroad, a tourist attraction near Blowing Rock, NC. Sitting on a bench are several of my immediate family members, and smack in the middle of them is Tommy Faile, smiling nicely and looking like family. I think he was there as a tourist, if I am remembering the story correctly. The photo was taken in the early 70s, perhaps while I was away doing my duty as a drafted Army soldier (not in Vietnam, thank goodness).
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Similar Threads

  1. Seven Days A Week For Fedex Ground
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-25-2019, 01:38 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2018, 06:01 AM
  3. Christmas At Fedex Ground
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2018, 01:15 PM
  4. Duke's Common Ground
    By fuse in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
  5. Some Harry Potter Ground Rules
    By Jumbo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •