Luol Deng Retires from the NBA

Didn't see a thread for Luol Deng's retirement, so thought I'd start one. As posted on the frong page, he signed a one-day contract with Chicago (nice, as there was a bit of (justifiable, I think) bad blood on his part there after his injury/treatment issues at the end of his Bulls tenure. Heck of a player, and, despite his many health issues in the late part of his career, an absolute workhorse and beloved teammate. Was lucky to see him on the TWolves last year, bringing some serious heart and professionalism. Ryan Saunders had a great quote yesterday about how important Deng was to a young TWolves squad with a very young interim coach.

Sad to see the league without him in it, but he certainly left his mark (and, as the front page says, he's going to be able to have a pretty good retirement, that's for sure...).

How are you Duhon? Deng good.

Luol had a really productive career, but he's only 34 and was basically running on fumes at 32. It's a shame that Thibodeau wore him down in Chicago because I think he could still be playing.

Luol led the NBA in minutes per game twice, and unfortunately he ended up paying the price later on because that's one stat where you don't want to be the league leader.

Originally posted in the KS retirement thread but more fitting here:

This was probably shared when it was published but I'll re-link. Luol is the titular subject of Forbes' The NBA's Unlikely Real Estate Mogul: Inside Luol Deng's Towering $125M Portfolio.

Something tells me he'll keep himself busy in retirement between said mogul-dom and his humanitarian work in Africa. He's doing his alma mater proud, that's for sure.